Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 03-23-2017, 07:37 AM   #1
Ian
Idiot

"There are reasons to be genuinely concerned about this guy. Saying he won't do anything for the average Joe, is not supported by the facts. I'm sure that's what they say wherever you get your news, but it's simply not true."

Actually, the fact that he's going to do anything for "the little guy" has yet to be supported by facts... Again, the carrier thing saved jobs but it happened before he was president, and was a politically charged, self serving move to get publicity he could ride into the White House. He needs more "Carrier" moments now that he's President to prove he cares, not more moments where he shows up at a campaign rally spreading false claims of being wiretapped.

He's not in this for the little guy or the big guy, he's in it for himself.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 03-23-2017, 07:56 AM   #2
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
"There are reasons to be genuinely concerned about this guy. Saying he won't do anything for the average Joe, is not supported by the facts. I'm sure that's what they say wherever you get your news, but it's simply not true."

Actually, the fact that he's going to do anything for "the little guy" has yet to be supported by facts... Again, the carrier thing saved jobs but it happened before he was president, and was a politically charged, self serving move to get publicity he could ride into the White House. He needs more "Carrier" moments now that he's President to prove he cares, not more moments where he shows up at a campaign rally spreading false claims of being wiretapped.

He's not in this for the little guy or the big guy, he's in it for himself.
"Again, the carrier thing saved jobs but it happened before he was president, and was a politically charged, self serving move "

Did it help the people whose jobs were saved, or not? I can not know what his motives were for helping save those jobs, neither can you. Maybe he did it to give the finger to Obama, maybe he wanted to help those people. I don't know, and neither do you. But the Messiah Obama specifically said those Carrier jobs could not be saved, and Trump/Pence did it in no time.

Who gives a sh*t that it happened before the inauguration? The Hollywood Access tape also happened "before he was President", so should that have been ignored?

"He needs more "Carrier" moments now that he's President to prove he cares,"

Agreed. He is talking about tax reform, he is talking about all kinds of tax credits to help working families save on childcare expenses, he is talking about paid family medical leave. If he fails to do those things, I'll be the very first person to say he lied. If he accomplishes those things, will you give him credit.

Before the election, there are a lot of stories about Trump quietly being very, very generous to those in need. Does that wipe out all the awful things he has done? No. But you can't focus on the bad, and ignore the good. He is the sum of everything he does. But on every single TV station except one, all you hear is the bad. Never anything good. And I don't like the guy, I think he's a boorish, offensive, egomaniac. But he has done some wonderful things.

There was a very sick Jewish boy, in California I think, needed to fly across the country with all his medical equipment. Commercial airlines could not accommodate him. Trump sent his jet immediately. How does the media thanks him? By calling him an anti-Semite. Try telling the family of the sick little Jewish boy that Trump is an anti-Semite. Tell that to his daughter Ivanka, who he clearly adores (to the point of being creepy actually), and she is a Jew.

"he's in it for himself"

Obama wasn't? In terms of politics and policy, Obama was almost no different from Hilary. Why didn't he step aside and give her the nomination in 2008? Because HE wanted to be POTUS. Not because he had better ideas than she did.
Old 03-23-2017, 08:08 AM   #3
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post

There was a very sick Jewish boy, in California I think, needed to fly across the country with all his medical equipment. Commercial airlines could not accommodate him. Trump sent his jet immediately. How does the media thanks him? By calling him an anti-Semite. Try telling the family of the sick little Jewish boy that Trump is an anti-Semite. .
That happened in 1988. Ian probably wasn't even born then.

Pres. Trump is notoriously cheap. He was never active in the NY fund raising circuit and even got in trouble for paying a business fine with $ from his foundation. He also used $ from the foundation to buy personal items. I hate to criticize someone for the amount of $ they give but i'm offering a counterpoint.
Old 03-23-2017, 08:37 AM   #4
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post

Pres. Trump is notoriously cheap. He was never active in the NY fund raising circuit and even got in trouble for paying a business fine with $ from his foundation. He also used $ from the foundation to buy personal items. I hate to criticize someone for the amount of $ they give but i'm offering a counterpoint.
And there are people who say he's exceedingly generous.

Paul, he's not a good guy. He's not even close to being what I (nor you, probably) would call a good guy. Your counterpoint is 100% valid. 100%. But it's not all there is to him, that's all I'm saying. We should be able to say "yes, he is very obnoxious", but we should also be able to say "he saved those Carrier jobs when Obama said explicitly, that it couldn't be done. Maybe there is a lesson to be learned there, because he did, quite easily, that which Obama said was impossible."

One host at Foxnews (Hannity) never says anything critical about Trump. No one else on TV, from what I can tell, will ever give him credit for the good things he does.

Bill Clinton and Ted Kennedy were also scumbags, the absolute filth at the bottom of the barrel. But they are praised by the same folks who bash Trump. The hypocrisy is stunning.

Bill Clinton proved, I think, that a reptile can be a productive President.
Old 03-23-2017, 12:54 PM   #5
Ian
Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post

Close... very very close....

The artist formerly known as Scratch59.
Old 03-23-2017, 09:04 AM   #6
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
Actually, the fact that he's going to do anything for "the little guy" has yet to be supported by facts...
Well, he did sign an Executive order to assist historically black colleges and universities procure $26B in funding. He also signed 2 bills that were going to help create jobs in the STEM fields for women, being that my daughter is currently studying for a degree in a STEM field, that is pretty significant from my point of view.

Not bad for a Misogynistic Racist.....

I'm in the same camp as Jim on the guy...I think he's a class "A" A$$, but you can't just ignore the good things he does and only focus on the bad....

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 03-23-2017, 09:18 AM   #7
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
Well, he did sign an Executive order to assist historically black colleges and universities procure $26B in funding. He also signed 2 bills that were going to help create jobs in the STEM fields for women, being that my daughter is currently studying for a degree in a STEM field, that is pretty significant from my point of view.

Not bad for a Misogynistic Racist.....

I'm in the same camp as Jim on the guy...I think he's a class "A" A$$, but you can't just ignore the good things he does and only focus on the bad....
"being that my daughter is currently studying for a degree in a STEM field, that is pretty significant from my point of view."

And I have 3 boys, but still feel that is significant, as well as noble, hopefully good public policy.

"you can't just ignore the good things he does and only focus on the bad"

The refusal of many (not all) to concede anything good about this guy...is like nothing I have ever seen. They even make up criticisms (saying he's an anti-Semite, which will come as news to Ivanka who is Jewish). The left is on a mission. They are putting ALL of their eggs in the "destroy Trump" basket. It could work like a charm for them. But if he implements some populist things that really resonate with folks, it could blow up in their faces.

The 2018 midterms will be fascinating. If you look at who is up for re-election in the Senate, it could not be worse for Democrats. Twice as any Dems up for re-election compared to the GOP, and many of the Dems are in purple states that went for Trump.