Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 02-21-2009, 09:56 PM   #31
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Awesome Day

When my wife called at 1 p.m. and asked if I didn't mind her going shopping, (seriously she never does), I replied, oh no sweetie, take your time and have a nice afternoon, because "I am going too". Met a few more people I didn't know personally until today.

I actually hoe'd my first plug today. Won a beeeyooteeful pink AH needle. Stunning really.

See y'all at TFCTFN.

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 09:59 PM   #32
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Big thanks to all the worked this and came to PF09. My voice is shot so I'm glad I get to type this instead...

Seriously great time, and once again - you all are blanking nuts, great skills, and truly go the extra mile for your partners in crime.

There are s few of you that did not collect winnings so we'll need to work something else up.

Simply fantastic

And great work with the stuff for the kids. Couple of us were talking and I think we need to get some kits to kids and have a Kids division (painting only )

Thank you !

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 10:01 PM   #33
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
I was so "WipEd" I just took a 3 hour nap and I still feel like I was hit by a truck!

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 10:11 PM   #34
eskimo

thanks for a great experience. awesome to meet a lot of you in person.
got to see tons of great stuff from everybody.

Nobody calls me Lebowski. You got the wrong guy. I'm the Dude, man.
eskimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 10:18 PM   #35
redneck24
WTF

had a great time thanks everyone! big thanks to mike and slip. great time hanging out thanks dave, larry, steve, chris, and ed. nice to see you don!

diamondbanger
redneck24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 10:24 PM   #36
the greek

You guys put on a great, awesome event. I have been wanting to attend for a few years and really wish I had made the trip earlier. Great to see some folks I haven't in a awhile and meet some new ones. Wish I had more time to spend as I didn't do alot of what I wanted to with so much going on. It was a sensory overload with the plugs. So much incredible stuff being built nowadays. The classic plugs are one thing I do not get to see a bunch of and really enjoyed that part. Got a mess of great stuff in swaps and wish I had more stuff to do a bit more trading. Got to meet two people who have inspired me to build plugs Capesams and Mac. It was a pleasure meeting you both and enjoyed the time we had to talk immensely. Again, had a great time today and will be making this a yearly trip.
the greek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 10:41 PM   #37
Flaptail

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by numbskull View Post
I was having a good time until some pervert gave me a penis plug!
Yeah, but you still kept it. Now I will have to keep one eye peeled over my shoulder when we go fishing.

Seriously, George you outdid yourself. I tried to be strong but when you flashed that giant jointed pikie in front of me my knees buckled.

And special thanks to Chum, you are too kind.

Numby and Chum my plugmaking heros!

And Mike Thomas and family, you guys are the stones!!!!!!

And everyone else who stopped by to chat plug history and VB, I am scarfing down a 1/2 sour as I type this. ( and thanks for the pin)

Why even try.........
Flaptail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 11:14 PM   #38
go4broke44

Man I feel like theres so many people I didn't meet!

Great time though, my first plugfest.

I was hoping to trade for some of wahlie's gordo or musso plugs, didn't see him though

Last edited by go4broke44; 02-21-2009 at 11:21 PM..
go4broke44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 11:17 PM   #39
BILLC

Just getting settled from the trip home.

New here, but got to see a bunch of friends again. Had a ball seeing some of the best doing and showing their stuff. Big thanks for the guys that hooked me up with some swaps and some plugs for my son. Really enjoyed the day and can't wait to do it again. See you Rhody boys in a couple of months.
BILLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 12:12 AM   #40
fishon8

thanks to all who worked hard to make this event happen me and my son had a great time and was able to meet lots of other builders great talking and trading with most of you! Digger,Chumbucket,Eastendlou,The Greek,Mac,Vineyardblues,GooGooman,Woodyct,fisherma nNH,sjfish,and many others.

Tight Lines !!! bob
fishon8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 03:31 AM   #41
saltydog

IT'S 3:AM an Im up looking at all the plugs I got in trade.
I wish to thank you ALL for a GREAT SHOW, picked up some BIG WOOD, got some GREAT PLUGS, had a WOUNDERFUL time. A BIG THANKS to JOHN.MIKE an everyone who put this together, your a great bunch of guys,
GOOD LUCK GOOD PLUGGIN
see you next year

saltydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 05:35 AM   #42
NIB

Awesome time.I got to see some good folks I only converse with here on this tire hub.It makes a big difference.Guys like Slip,Flap,Mac,Tagger,Dave CanalMan Anderson,The second coming of rip van winkle PM,Loooo,Chris PNG,Raven,Bob S.,BF Larry the mono using Lug..Vic and friends,Striper Crazy.angler229 I like the choices in plugs you have made.Eat a Sangwich..Don Afterhours guy.The guy who gave me back one of my plugs thanks.I gave it to Rip Van Winkle.Dr.Fish,Thanks for bringing up the wood....I hate naming names I always forget someone.Some had some nice things to say to me..That was nice thanks.
There was quite a few folks I did not know.We have to do name tags next time.
Special thanks to Numby..Who it seems his buddy Sauerkraut is a NJ guy.Pay attention to him you'll learn things..
Geo you where too much.Your work displays the beauty of simplicity.Very clean and funtional.Lots of guys go overboard and thats fine.You make plugs like they should be made IMO.
You made em to hand out and made quite a few folks happy today.Awesome job..
Thanks.
A specail thanks to John Redmond and Mike Thomas and Family who made this a special day well worth the drive for us Jersey guys.....
Oh ya Special thanks to Chum for driving and digger for keeping him awake. I hope I didn't snore on the way home..

FORE!
It's usually darkest just before it turns Black..
NIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 05:51 AM   #43
NIB

Dennis Zambrota good to finally meet you yesterday..
I learned one of his secrets yesterday.He has a fish calling trombone..

FORE!
Old 02-22-2009, 07:33 AM   #44
DZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIB View Post
Dennis Zambrota good to finally meet you yesterday..
I learned one of his secrets yesterday.He has a fish calling trombone..
Tony,
Nice meeting you also. You are probably one of a handful of guys on our coast who could correctly identify what it was. Later on slipknot took a break from turning and we were able to put the trombone to work downstairs. He (and a few others gathered around) grasped the idea pretty quickly and may put it to use this coming season.

Afterwards as I was washing eel slime of my hands I had the pleasure of meeting SauerKraut. We had a very nice conversation about needlefish, eels and striped bass. He is a great guy to talk with. I could easily see myself casting with him and Numbskull (and Flap).

Speaking of Numbskull, how could I possibly refuse a darter when it comes in Block Island Green? Great work George. First chance during the squid run it will get wet. George, we can make a Block trip work if you really want to - I'll guide. Just bring Sauerkraut along in case the bass are eel crazy.

Flap - What a wonderful piece of artwork you gifted me - my highlight of the day. My wife has a degree in Art History and she absolutely loved it. You have great talent Steve!

Tagger - Your imitation of the needle that took my largest bass is special right down to the color. Looking forward to our visit in November.

To the rest of the gang who put on Plugfest - great job. It was jam packed at times - almost as crowded as SW Bar on a November Saturday evening when the cows are "IN". Had a great time.

Thanks

DZ

DZ
Recreational Surfcaster
"Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your Limit"

Bi + Ne = SB 2

If you haven't heard of the Snowstorm Blitz of 1987 - you someday will.
DZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 07:43 AM   #45
numbskull
Oblivious // Grunt, Grunt Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIB View Post
Oh ya Special thanks to Chum for driving and digger for keeping him awake. I hope I didn't snore on the way home..
With what you ate I'm sure snoring was the LEAST of their worries.
numbskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 07:44 AM   #46
capesams
Really Old & Really Grumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by the greek View Post
You guys put on a great, awesome event. I have been wanting to attend for a few years and really wish I had made the trip earlier. Great to see some folks I haven't in a awhile and meet some new ones. Wish I had more time to spend as I didn't do alot of what I wanted to with so much going on. It was a sensory overload with the plugs. So much incredible stuff being built nowadays. The classic plugs are one thing I do not get to see a bunch of and really enjoyed that part. Got a mess of great stuff in swaps and wish I had more stuff to do a bit more trading. Got to meet two people who have inspired me to build plugs Capesams and Mac. It was a pleasure meeting you both and enjoyed the time we had to talk immensely. Again, had a great time today and will be making this a yearly trip.
Greek..very nice meeting you as well....some of your works of art sitting on the table are eye poppingnow there's one lessthank youyou came along way to be there..I'm glad you did.

BOAT fish do count.
capesams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 07:48 AM   #47
capesams
Really Old & Really Grumpy

#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&..Thanks for all the goodies and the badge made the trip over the bridge worth the ride.

BOAT fish do count.
capesams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 07:55 AM   #48
NIB

It was good to see Grapenuts..
It's been a long time..

FORE!
Old 02-22-2009, 09:47 AM   #49
scotty

just had to say thank you for a good time . It was good to see every buddy and there new plugs . I hope to see every body at Tfctfn.
scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 10:39 AM   #50
Tagger
Hydro Orientated Lures

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZ View Post
Later on slipknot took a break from turning and we were able to put the trombone to work downstairs.

DZ
I played trombone 8 yrs. as a kid (father made me) and I havn't got a clue what your talking about . This is one I'll be laying in bed thinking about .. Somebody help me pleeeez .. Great seeing you DZ ,, thanks for the loaner,,,only hope mine comes close . Figures non trombone playing NIB knows .. I have regrets not meeting everyone .. p o 'd I didn't meet Digger .. as goofy as it sounds nametags not a bad idea .. PlugFest .... best way to shake off the winter ..
Tagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 11:47 AM   #51
Flaptail

Smile

Didn't get a chance to take many pictures but here is what I have.

George holding court while BackBeach Jake , Prof M and others look on.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	feb21909 002.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	32064  

Why even try.........
Old 02-22-2009, 11:51 AM   #52
Flaptail

Stifftip and Sauerkraut kabitzing on this years canal fishing forecast. Of course loaded Cotton Cordells were discussed in length.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	feb21909 003.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	32065  

Why even try.........
Old 02-22-2009, 11:54 AM   #53
Flaptail

Bobby "BS4Shore" Samuelson, holding Stan Gibbs first. (His hands were trembling)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	feb21909 004.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	32066  

Why even try.........
Old 02-22-2009, 12:00 PM   #54
Flaptail

Thumbs up

My two favorite plug makers are Numby and this guy. A great plug maker fro New Jersey and just a great guy. A legend holds a legend.

Matt "Chumbucket" Tomczyk.

Matt please swim the plug and then make a your version of it. I think that design and you are the perfect match.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	feb21909 005.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	32067  

Why even try.........
Old 02-22-2009, 12:03 PM   #55
Backbeach Jake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaptail View Post
Bobby "BS4Shore" Samuelson, holding Stan Gibbs first. (His hands were trembling)
The Holy Grail of plugs, mine shook, too. I still get light-headed in it's presence...

He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself.
Thomas Paine
Backbeach Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 12:06 PM   #56
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

That was really nice of Flaptail to let everyone fondle the Gibbs plug.

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 12:23 PM   #57
NIB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaptail View Post

Looks like Bobby is thinkin..
Runn,Ruunnnn..

FORE!
Old 02-22-2009, 12:27 PM   #58
NIB

Quote:
Originally Posted by numbskull View Post
With what you ate I'm sure snoring was the LEAST of their worries.

I was a little gassy on the way home..
But this smorning was when the real bombs went off..

Pull my finger..

FORE!
Old 02-22-2009, 01:16 PM   #59
PatrickD

What an awesome day!
Thanks to everyone who put this thing together. I know you guys worked you asses off for us. It was very cool.
Thanks Chum for driving. You guys may not know it, but Chum is a "professional driver" and he just loves cruisin'. I love riding along listening to NIB snore Seriously, hangin with NIB and Chumbucket is like having the Golden Ticket to meet the best striper fishermen on the coast. Thanks for all the introductions.
Congratulations to the winners of the plug building contest. All that stuff was off the hook! I see that I'm really going to have to sharpen up my skills if I hope to win one of those certificates next year.
I wasn't in the room 5 minutes when I met Numbskull and he gave me an excellent Musso style darter. Thanks Numby (or do you prefer Mr Skull?) I know just the rip for that plug.
The displays were just incredible. The plugs on the tables and in the boxes represented the best of history and the best of what's to come for our obsession.
I missed most of the food, but I couldn't pass up the opportunity to hang outside in the cold shooting the bull with Capesams I did get in on some of that shepards pie casserole made by John R's wife. That stuff was yummy

All in all, I had a great time. Saw a bunch of old friends and made a bunch of new ones. Who could ask for more?

Maybe if I hang with NIB long enough, he'll invite me up to fish with a few of you guys when the bass come

Digger
PatrickD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 01:19 PM   #60
wahlie
a goongala goongala

Send a message via AIM to wahlie
great times

Thanks to everyone for setting this up. John R. and Mike CC and everyone else that made this happen. It was a great time. Saw some old friends and made new ones. all around was a great time. didn't get to stick around too long as i was fighting off a cold. John R. sorry for the name mix up i don't think i've ever met that guy before...

-Chris

"There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot."
wahlie is offline   Reply With Quote