Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Movies, Classics to Less than Normal

Movies, Classics to Less than Normal By request - Grab your Popcorn. New Movie forum (for those that have given up fishing this year). (No P 0rn)

Old 10-23-2013, 08:21 AM   #1
Jim in CT

Lone Survivor

This was an ill-fated mission involving a 4 man Seal team that got ambushed in Afghanistan. One guy survived the fight, and miraculously found refuge in a vilage where the folks put themselves at risk to protect him from the Taliban until help could arrive. Tragically, when these guys called for help in the initial firefight, the Taliban shot down the helicopter coming to aid them, killing about a dozen Seals and the special operations flight crew.

Movie coming out later this year. It's an incredible story and I recommend the book (written by Marcus Lattrelll, th one who survived) to anyone.
Jim in CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 05:46 AM   #2
trevier

awesome book, can't wait for the movie to come out.
trevier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 06:12 AM   #3
Bronko

Book was fantastic. Incredible ethical decision lead to their demise.

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope. ~John Buchan
Bronko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 03:19 PM   #4
bart
Red Eye Jedi

great book
bart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 09:15 AM   #5
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronko View Post
Book was fantastic. Incredible ethical decision lead to their demise.
Bronko -

Do they know for sure that it was that ethical decision that cost so many American lives? I can't recall that from the book. Maybe I need to read it again.
Old 11-01-2013, 10:20 AM   #6
PaulS

Will have to add it my reading list. Always looking for books to read.
PaulS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 10:21 AM   #7
Bronko

I read the book a couple years ago, but if my memory serves me correct when they were compromised by the goat herders there was a very animated debate among the unit as to whether they should kill them or release them. Kill them and their mission could continue, release them and jeopardize the mission as well as put the entire unit in harm's way which is what ultimately happened.

There were also ROE's involved to which adherence likely led to the death of all but 1 seal.

When I meant 'ethics' I was referring to the discussion among the unit as to following strict ROE's vs self preservation. I found it fascinating.

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope. ~John Buchan
Old 11-01-2013, 10:35 AM   #8
Jim in CT

Quote:
I read the book a couple years ago, but if my memory serves me correct when they were compromised by the goat herders there was a very animated debate among the unit as to whether they should kill them or release them. Kill them and their mission could continue, release them and jeopardize the mission as well as put the entire unit in harm's way which is what ultimately happened.

There were also ROE's involved to which adherence likely led to the death of all but 1 seal.

When I meant 'ethics' I was referring to the discussion among the unit as to following strict ROE's vs self preservation. I found it fascinating.

I recall that being true...they decided to let the guys go. I didn't know for sure, if the goatherders then told the Taliban where the Seals were hiding...I believe the author of the book assumed that they told the bad guys, but I don't know if anyone knows for sure...maybe that's the only possible explanation.

That was a very powerful part of an incredible story.
Old 11-01-2013, 10:38 AM   #9
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
Will have to add it my reading list. Always looking for books to read.
If you enjoy booiks telling true military stories, there is another one called "Ghost Soldiers", tells the true story of the survivors of the Bataan Death March, at the hands of the Japanese, in the Phillipines. The story chronicles the largest successful rescue mission of American POWs in WWII. An awesome read, which they made into a pretty good movie called "The Great Raid". I think the movie went right to DVD, which is surprising because it was pretty good.
Old 11-01-2013, 11:53 AM   #10
PaulS

I do and thanks. I act. put a hold on the other one.
PaulS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 12:34 PM   #11
Bronko

Ghost Soldiers was another great read. The two books referenced in this thread were my two favorite books I have read in quite some time.

Old 11-01-2013, 04:17 PM   #12
Jim in CT

Quote:
Ghost Soldiers was another great read. The two books referenced in this thread were my two favorite books I have read in quite some time.
Have you read "Into Harm's Way?" True story of the sinking of the USS Indianapolis. Insane story. Insane...
Old 11-01-2013, 09:09 PM   #13
Bronko

It's on my list, I have heard its great. I will throw one your way.... Brothers in Arms, about the all black 761st tank regiment in WWII. Really interesting read.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 11-06-2013, 06:10 PM   #14
redlite

I am lookin forward to the movie. Just checked and i have only read book 5 times. Enthralling read. I have an eloborate collection of first person accounts of war experiences primarily vietnam era ( dont know why but have had a life long infatuation with the vietnam conflict, maybe cause it was a near miss for mine and my siblings' existence) that i rotate thru
My favorite read "reflections of a warrior". By vietnam medal of honor receipient franklin miller. Best story format of ANY book i have ever read. Heart pumping action with humor mixed in
Add that to your reading list pete. U wont be able to put it down and can hammer it out in about 6 toilet trips
Thanx for heads up on movie. Look forward to it
redlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 06:21 AM   #15
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
Have you read "Into Harm's Way?" True story of the sinking of the USS Indianapolis. Insane story. Insane...
I bought this book but have yet to read it....guess I will give it a go fireside this winter!

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 04:58 PM   #16
Bronko

I will buy it this weekend Mike. Although I may see you Saturday...
Old 11-29-2013, 08:03 PM   #17
redlite

Finally saw all the trailers
Looks good with an incredible cast ( mark wahlberg)
ReAlly lookin forward to it
redlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 10:20 AM   #18
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

I read the book. Beyond incredible account of what they went through. There is a fair amount of push back on Lutrell's story - I am by no means calling it fake as I have zero standing on the matter.

The US Navy dedicated a new destroyer in the name of Lt Michael Murphy, the leader of that SEAL team in Operation Red Wings.

I am looking forward to the the movie and I need to find the book so I can reread.

I am going to need to read Reflections this winter.

As for other Vietnam histories, "We Were Soldiers Once, and Young" should be on your list. The level of depth and insight into the sacrifices and heroic actions made on the Ia Drang is a must read.

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 12:54 AM   #19
Duke41
got gas?

Tin can sailers is a great page turner about the sea battle of Leyte gulf
Duke41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 02:00 PM   #20
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
There is a fair amount of push back on Lutrell's story .
John, can you elaborate on that at all? I did a search and came up empty. I did, unfortunately, read that some teenage sociopaths randomly shot Luttrell's yellow lab to death. Luttrell got into a high-speed chase with the dog killers, who were caught. The Texas Rangers should have put them in a cell with Luttrell for a day.