Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 10-21-2010, 10:41 AM   #1
Fly Rod

Fired

Jaun Williams, fired from National Public Radio after pressure from an islamic group, for speaking his opinion on Fox News about how he feels flying in an air plane when he sees islamic people on board.

His quote: When I get on the plane, I got to tell you, if I see people who are in Muslim garb and I think, you know, they are identifying themselves first and foremost as Muslims, I get worried. I get nervous."

Williams also warned O'Reilly against blaming all Muslims for "extremists," saying Christians shouldn't be blamed for Oklahoma City bomber Timothy McVeigh.
Old 10-21-2010, 10:59 AM   #2
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Just posted in the goodbye american thread.
Want an absolute travesty. beyond words. most americans agree with him! This is such a terrible turn for this country. Boycott NPR.
Obama, Congress and the libs think the country is angry about jobs, this is the stuff that is fuming this country. Our own ideas, our individual beliefs, based on FACTS are no longer publicly accepted. We need to hide our true feelings in order to be PC. F that

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 10-21-2010, 11:02 AM   #3
JohnnyD

Anyone who tells you that they don't get concerned, even briefly, when anyone of apparent Middle Eastern decent is on a plane with them is a liar.
Old 10-21-2010, 11:06 AM   #4
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post
Anyone who tells you that they don't get concerned, even briefly, when anyone of apparent Middle Eastern decent is on a plane with them is a liar.

or a liberal, same thing

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 10-22-2010, 01:40 PM   #5
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

George Soros

This shouldn't surprise you after finding out George Soros is the major contributor to the liberal NPR organization. But alas, say it isn't so, another liberal group firing someone for their free speech values.

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Old 10-22-2010, 02:13 PM   #6
Raven

Cool

although i wholeheartedly agree with your opinion(s)

when your a TV personality....anything that you say that
is offensive to any one group: Gays, lesbians, blacks, Latinos
religious groups...a long list.... can reflect negatively on the station
causing advertisers to pull the plug so the ONLY choice to avoid that is termination.

it is a very sad state of affairs that you cannot speak your mind
anymore
Old 10-22-2010, 02:37 PM   #7
Fly Rod

You can only not speak your mind, if you are afraid too.

Eighty percent of people that responded to a poll agree with Juan.

When I'm on a plane I look at everybody. And I do keep an eye on some that I'm leary about.
Old 10-22-2010, 03:39 PM   #8
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post
or a liberal, same thing
Wow...Now you won't even share a plane with a Liberal......I think thats a little over-cautious

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 10-22-2010, 04:26 PM   #9
PaulS

I'm just as leery about fat people. I was on a puddle jumper one time in Greece and the pilot came back and made a fat woman get off the plane b/c he didn't think it would take off. She insisted another woman weighed more than her. I offered to get off also but the pilot said no.
Old 10-22-2010, 05:00 PM   #10
buckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
I'm just as leery about fat people. I was on a puddle jumper one time in Greece and the pilot came back and made a fat woman get off the plane b/c he didn't think it would take off. She insisted another woman weighed more than her. I offered to get off also but the pilot said no.
Old 10-23-2010, 01:36 AM   #11
scottw

I don't think he should have been fired and I'm a little surprised at his statement, I would have expected Juan to be chastising someone else for that sort of thing, fired? this sort of thing usually gets the liberal a lifetime achievement award for a great offense like Dan Rather or Helen Thomas did...guess it depends on who you offend or who you attack.....Juan gets nervous when he sees someone in "muslim garb"? I see folks in "muslim garb" all of the time and I can honestly say I've never felt nervous or worried or thought "terrorist", I actually kinda like it ....now...if they, or anyone else, happened to be acting really bizarre? then the radar might go up...I think that's normal regardless if someone is in "muslim garb" or a suit and tie....I think Juan was exaggerating a bit and someone should remind him that the hijackers weren't wearing "muslim garb" but this looks like it will be a good career move for him...
Old 10-23-2010, 05:41 AM   #12
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
Juan gets nervous when he sees someone in "muslim garb"? I see folks in "muslim garb" all of the time and I can honestly say I've never felt nervous or worried or thought "terrorist", I actually kinda like it ....now...if they, or anyone else, happened to be acting really bizarre? then the radar might go up...I think that's normal regardless if someone is in "muslim garb" or a suit and tie....I think Juan was exaggerating a bit and someone should remind him that the hijackers weren't wearing "muslim garb" but this looks like it will be a good career move for him...
Generally agree although I'm not sure this stint with FOX News will last that long. Without his NPR affiliation he really doesn't serve the same purpose as he did before. I've never thought he was very strong on TV and was just there as a token lib for the others to make fun of.

-spence