Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Movies, Classics to Less than Normal

Movies, Classics to Less than Normal By request - Grab your Popcorn. New Movie forum (for those that have given up fishing this year). (No P 0rn)

Old 01-06-2014, 04:46 PM   #1
Jim in CT

Lone Survivor opens Friday

My wife and I have arranged for a babysitter. Haven't been to a movie theater in almost 10 years. Cannot wait. Expectations are high, and I don't expect to be disappointed. HBO did some kind of a 'behind the scenes thing', it just looked like an incredible story.
Jim in CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 07:14 PM   #2
trevier

bring some tissues, they say the scene at the end is killer, I'll leave it at that.
trevier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 02:30 PM   #3
redlite

I have not been to the movies in 10 years but I got my permission slip signed earlier this week to go see it tom. Read book again this week for 5th time. Bought my ticket online today to see it at 1:55 tom. Will let ya'll know how it is
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
redlite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 03:59 PM   #4
basswipe

Prepare to be disappointed,Hollywood has never gotten in right when it comes to reality.
basswipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 04:42 PM   #5
redlite

Was a worthwhile adaptation of book
Old 01-11-2014, 09:26 AM   #6
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlite View Post
Was a worthwhile adaptation of book
I'd say your review was pretty accurate. The story was so incredible, that even a less-than-perfect movie adaptation would be more than worthwhile. That being said, it left me wanting. Here are some of my complaints redlite, and be warned that this may warrant a spoiler alert...

How does the movie fail to mention that Lt Murphy was awarded the Medal Of Honor, how do you completely exclude the scene at Luttrell's ranch when the community gathered there for days? Why show a scene that shows Luttrell leaving the village under his own power (minutes after being strong enough to stab someone to death), then all of a sudden he's flat-lining on a hospital table?

The director did a pretty good job. But this was a once-in-a-generation story that should have been so good, that it would be overwhelming to talk about.

That being said, I did weep during the final scene. And this was the only time in my life where the entire audience erupted in thunderous applause at the end.

I give it an A-. It could have been off-the-charts good. The movie was the equivalent of catching a 40 pound striper out of a school of 50 pounders.

Last edited by Jim in CT; 01-11-2014 at 09:36 AM..
Jim in CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 02:47 PM   #7
trevier

my cousin went to see it, said it's unreal, and very very intense.
trevier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 12:37 AM   #8
redlite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
I'd say your review was pretty accurate. The story was so incredible, that even a less-than-perfect movie adaptation would be more than worthwhile. That being said, it left me wanting. Here are some of my complaints redlite, and be warned that this may warrant a spoiler alert...

How does the movie fail to mention that Lt Murphy was awarded the Medal Of Honor, how do you completely exclude the scene at Luttrell's ranch when the community gathered there for days? Why show a scene that shows Luttrell leaving the village under his own power (minutes after being strong enough to stab someone to death), then all of a sudden he's flat-lining on a hospital table?

The director did a pretty good job. But this was a once-in-a-generation story that should have been so good, that it would be overwhelming to talk about.

That being said, I did weep during the final scene. And this was the only time in my life where the entire audience erupted in thunderous applause at the end.

I give it an A-. It could have been off-the-charts good. The movie was the equivalent of catching a 40 pound striper out of a school of 50 pounders.
I agree it left me wanting as well. Along the same lines as not spoiling anything and understanding that there simply is no way to put all of a book on the big screen i agree. The part from the whole book about "the water bottle" and his thirst was somewhat hit upon when he smelt the wAter bottle they gave him before he started drinking from it and i agree the whole part about the homefront should have been touched upon. The big moment on the rocky point with the view was hollywood lamish. For some reason left a bad taste in my mouth
The wrap up was very moving and no one got up to leave when the credits came
I will definately add it to my movie library when it comes available
Truly a remarkable story of determination that happens all the time with the folks in uniform
Old 01-13-2014, 07:51 AM   #9
GregW
Secretsquirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post

I haven't read the book since it first came out (2007ish?), so I may have forgotten some parts of the story, but thought it was overall good. I think you have to remember that this movie is made for the masses and there is always parts of a book that will get cut out or slightly changed.
I can see them skipping the "back home" scene, as it was not necessary to understand the story, and they were really fighting for each other and to stay alive.

I think my two biggest complaints were acting that was a little forced, to look "cool" , and when they are on a recon making all that noise and chit chatting like it was no big deal.
Overall a good movie. I'd say 4.5/5
GregW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 08:39 AM   #10
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Agree with the above; a fair adaptation of the book (though the book has come under scrutiny from others).

Definitely worth seeing though maybe better to read the book first.

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote