Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » Kayaking

Kayaking After the frequent attempts at Bribery, beatings, and simply getting towed at Sunrise - S-B opens the Kayak Forums Also see http://www.ultimatekayakfishing.com

Old 07-11-2010, 10:19 AM   #1
MotoXcowboy

sprague bridge launch area is history

So now we can't drive down to access the boat/kayak launch area. I was there Fri night and found it's now permanently blocked off with telephone poles. wtf I almost broke my neck putting in on the other side. The steep hill and boulders are not very launch friendly.

Hope this is not considered a spot burn (after all its a public right of way)

Last edited by MotoXcowboy; 07-11-2010 at 01:56 PM..
MotoXcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 08:08 AM   #2
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoXcowboy View Post
So now we can't drive down to access the boat/kayak launch area. I was there Fri night and found it's now permanently blocked off with telephone poles. wtf I almost broke my neck putting in on the other side. The steep hill and boulders are not very launch friendly.

Hope this is not considered a spot burn (after all its a public right of way)

Any idea who / why it is blocked?

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 10:55 AM   #3
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

On-going fight w/ power boats and yak groups.

there is still a launch at Middle Bridge, not far up the channel from the bridges.

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
RIROCKHOUND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 04:21 PM   #4
MotoXcowboy

John R. It looks like the town did it.

Bryan, what is the fight about? boats going through to fast? wakes?

Must be the 65 year old audobon society piping plover loving ladies on their sight seeing pleasure cruises complaining about boat speeds through there...wtf it makes no sense. they still get waked and passed on the river.

without getting into to much detail (spot talk) I wont be using the middlebridge launch because I'm in a tin row boat and it ads that many more miles to my destination. Its a long enough voyage from Sprague.

If its about Yakkers vs Powerboats I dont understand the logic behind this gate. (I figured it went up because someone was parked down there blocking the ramp and ruined it for everyone)

The Yakkers can still drag or cart their boats around the fence and down to the water. They can still go on the other side and its easy enough for them to use the path in the woods. Its guys like me with heavy tin boats who lost out in this deal. I can't get my truck down to the water to unload. The boat is just to wide and heavy to walk around by myself and the path through the woods is way to steep and narrow. the grassy hill is doable, the rocks are a pita. hopefully someone takes care of the gate sooner or later

Old 07-14-2010, 11:16 AM   #5
JFigliuolo

Met that gate myself... WTF? I have a Yak and can cart around it but WTF???

Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement -- Keith Benning
JFigliuolo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 12:09 PM   #6
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
The Yakkers can still drag or cart their boats around the fence and down to the water. They can still go on the other side and its easy enough for them to use the path in the woods. Its guys like me with heavy tin boats who lost out in this deal. I can't get my truck down to the water to unload. The boat is just to wide and heavy to walk around by myself and the path through the woods is way to steep and narrow. the grassy hill is doable, the rocks are a pita. hopefully someone takes care of the gate sooner or later

I understand your complaint, especially if rowing..
however, not to be a #^&#^&#^&#^&,
1. it is a Kayak ramp, not a boat ramp.
2. the designated boat ramp is at Middlebridge.

Bryan

"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 07-14-2010, 01:04 PM   #7
MotoXcowboy

Its just %$%$%$%$ing stupid. All this has caused is an inconvenience for those who drove down to use the dirt ramp.

Who does it really deter? Most Kayakers have carts, all they have to do is walk around the gate like JFigliuolo already did.

My tin boat is only 8' long, which is probably shorter than most kayaks. It's so small it fits in the back of my pickup. I dont ever remember seeing signs that said this ROW is for KAYAKS ONLY.

Not to sound like a #^&#^&#^&#^& either but, maybe next time I'll just drive up on the grassy hill and around the gate. Leaving a muddy %$%$%$%$ing rut as I pass by.

Either that or I'll probably just have to make some kind of a cart for my boat now or i could always just drag it around the gate and down the road 75yrds. What a PITA! I'd love to ask whoever made this decision what they were thinking when they made this stupid idea. 10 bucks says its gone, burned, or smashed before the seasons over
Old 07-14-2010, 01:22 PM   #8
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

It has been a long discussion all winter. I wasn't at any of the meetings, but it has been ongoing for a while. Who made the decision? I don't know. I would edit out a threat that it is gone or burned before the end of the year from a public forum.

from what I saw last year, the end of the path there was beat to hell from the truck traffic. Maybe that was a factor, I don't know.

Do us all a favor and stay away from the inlet in an 8ft row boat.... once you get down down hill there south of the flagpole, it can be hard to stop...

Bryan

Old 07-14-2010, 01:51 PM   #9
MotoXcowboy

It wasn't a threat, I was making a prediction.. I'm not saying I am going to do any of that. I've got a son now its not worth the fines. I will make a cart and go around like every other kayaker is going to do.

The ramp down there has been beat to hell ever since I started using it. Those rocks have always been there. Its not really a ramp were you drive into the water. (unless your truck has a serious offroad package and you want to load/unload at a 45 degree angle!) I never went much further than the sign that said "loading and unloading only" and I've never seen anybody drive all the way down to the water. From what I saw everyone always parked at the top of the ramp and carried the rest of the way.

Again, not to sound like a #^&#^&#^&#^&, but I've been doing this for 3years and never had any problems south of the flagpole. I've even rowed out and around the inlet a few times. I know where to go and how to stay dry. I feel my boat is just as seaworthy as any kayak. especially with Clammers merc on the back. Thank you for your concerns though.
Old 07-14-2010, 01:56 PM   #10
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
I feel my boat is just as seaworthy as any kayak. especially with Clammers merc on the back. Thank you for your concerns though.
Then launch at MB. it is not very far from the kayak launch!

Bryan

Old 07-14-2010, 06:30 PM   #11
MotoXcowboy

I prefer to row on the NR MB adds an extra 2.5 miles round trip
Old 07-25-2010, 10:36 AM   #12
Young Salt
Salt of the Earth

I'm not sure if you saw this sign by the water, but here's their official BS excuse. Yes it has to do with yaks vs. powerboats.

I agree 100% launching on the other side would suck and MB makes it a unnecessarily longer and for the most part, unproductive.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P6270757 (Medium).JPG (90.2 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg P6270756 (Medium).JPG (60.0 KB, 21 views)
Young Salt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 11:07 AM   #13
MotoXcowboy

Right. Lets take a ride with Tom

Last edited by MotoXcowboy; 07-25-2010 at 11:31 AM..
Old 07-26-2010, 10:14 AM   #14
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Salt View Post
I'm not sure if you saw this sign by the water, but here's their official BS excuse. Yes it has to do with yaks vs. powerboats.

I agree 100% launching on the other side would suck and MB makes it a unnecessarily longer and for the most part, unproductive.
yeah. it really limited access. F'ing cars everywhere in all three parking areas at sprauge saturday. Not even an ideal spot to launch a yak from. one mistake and you are drifting down or up the channel pretty damn quick.

I maintain 2 things.
1. it is a Kayak access point
2. The BOAT ramp is at Middlebridge.

Bryan