Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

View Poll Results: Should the hold the debate tomorrow?
Yes. Carry on 17 62.96%
No. Let them focus on what they are doing 10 37.04%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-25-2008, 08:50 AM   #1
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Debate #1

What do you guys think?
Carry on with it?

I tend to say Game on. I want to hear answers now, and during whats going on, not later...

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 09-25-2008, 09:23 AM   #2
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

I'm pretty sure as president they will need to learn the skill of Multi-tasking under pressure.

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 09-25-2008, 09:24 AM   #3
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

I agree
Carry on.

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 09-25-2008, 09:30 AM   #4
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Anyone actually believe McCain?
I think he saw a gap in the polls after this situation started to develop and wants to save some face and regroup... Not that I think BO did that much on the economy, he is faring a lot better...

game on

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 09-25-2008, 09:35 AM   #5
Nebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND View Post
Anyone actually believe McCain?
I think he saw a gap in the polls after this situation started to develop and wants to save some face and regroup... Not that I think BO did that much on the economy, he is faring a lot better...

game on
bingo
Old 09-25-2008, 09:46 AM   #6
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

I think it was interesting that McCain did this. I also think that they are senators first and if the situation requires going back to DC they should do it. Political play? Yeh probably, based on necessity? Yeh Probably that too

Debate is on Foreign Policy which is of a lower priority at this immediate time than a debate on the Economy which is far lower a priority than whats happening TO the economy.

I was shocked at how Obama fumbled his responses during the press conference. The same fumbling he did in a senate hearing with Gen Petraeus SIGNIFICANTLY lowered my opinion of him in the spring.

We have one sitting president that can't communicate on his feet worth a bleep, if Obama gets in we might have a second in a row.

(still haven't made up mind, still leaning McCain)

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 09-25-2008, 10:25 AM   #7
spence

I can't find a reason why McCain would think he can help in the process, unless it's to help convince the dissenting Republicans to get on board. There's more GOP opposition to this bill than Dem from the looks of it.

Wasn't there a Presidential election during the Civil War?

Sounds like McCain is putting the campaign and not country first.

-spence
Old 09-25-2008, 10:32 AM   #8
Nebe

oh wait.. he is a maverick. thats right.
Old 09-25-2008, 10:33 AM   #9
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
I can't find a reason why McCain would think he can help in the process, unless it's to help convince the dissenting Republicans to get on board. There's more GOP opposition to this bill than Dem from the looks of it.

-spence
Then perhaps McCain, as a senior Republican Senator, known for reaching across the aisle AND even going against the "R" grain, perhaps he CAN facilitate this in some fashion.

Sounds to me McCain is putting the Country first and not the Campaign. And this is not a first for McCain. I don't always agree with what he does but Duty, Honor, Country have FAR more weight with him than just about ANY of the other blowhards in a 50 mile radius of the Washington Mall

Bottom line it needs to get done. I think we are better off with the R word than the D word (and I'm not talkin' Repub -v- Demo)..

Of Course, if Obama is needed, they'll just call him or something.

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 09-25-2008, 10:34 AM   #10
Bronko

Quote:

-spence
It appears to be a perfect example of the "leadership" the left has been clamoring about. Obama fell right in line behind McCain and is being led to Washington to try to straighten this mess out.

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope. ~John Buchan
Old 09-25-2008, 10:35 AM   #11
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

This is a practical test. See how each one applies themselves to the problem and go from there. Just the same as campaigning.

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Old 09-25-2008, 10:46 AM   #12
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronko View Post
It appears to be a perfect example of the "leadership" the left has been clamoring about. Obama fell right in line behind McCain and is being led to Washington to try to straighten this mess out.
Actually it was Obama who called McCain to issue a joint statement on the issue, which it appears that they agreed to do, then an hour later McCain makes the announcement that he was going to suspend his campaign.

Then he tells David Leterman he had to cancel his appearance because he has to fly immediately to Washington, but instead spends the afternoon with an interview. Letterman was obviously ticked off, the video is pretty funny.

They are both headed to Washington now because President Bush asked that they come.

I think your opinion might be based on bad intel.

-spence
Old 09-25-2008, 10:49 AM   #13
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
Then perhaps McCain, as a senior Republican Senator, known for reaching across the aisle AND even going against the "R" grain, perhaps he CAN facilitate this in some fashion.

Sounds to me McCain is putting the Country first and not the Campaign. And this is not a first for McCain. I don't always agree with what he does but Duty, Honor, Country have FAR more weight with him than just about ANY of the other blowhards in a 50 mile radius of the Washington Mall

Bottom line it needs to get done. I think we are better off with the R word than the D word (and I'm not talkin' Repub -v- Demo)..

Of Course, if Obama is needed, they'll just call him or something.
I used to agree with the duty and honor, but the McCain I've seen the past 6 months is a robot driven by political operatives.

The reporting has been consistent that there has been a solid bi-partisan discussion going on all week and that legislation is getting close. Like I mentioned, the biggest opposition seems to be from the GOP. I don't see how McCain really helps here.

-spence
Old 09-25-2008, 11:05 AM   #14
Bronko

Quote:
Actually it was Obama who called McCain to issue a joint statement on the issue, which it appears that they agreed to do, then an hour later McCain makes the announcement that he was going to suspend his campaign.

Then he tells David Leterman he had to cancel his appearance because he has to fly immediately to Washington, but instead spends the afternoon with an interview. Letterman was obviously ticked off, the video is pretty funny.

They are both headed to Washington now because President Bush asked that they come.

-spence

So its Obama putting campaign first, because above you said it was McCain.

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope. ~John Buchan
Old 09-25-2008, 12:04 PM   #15
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronko View Post
So its Obama putting campaign first, because above you said it was McCain.
That makes no sense.

-spence
Old 09-25-2008, 12:59 PM   #16
spence

Ok, an official McCain spokeperson is on TV right now claiming the just reach bi-partisan agreement on the framework for the bail out bill was a result of McCain's suspending of his campaign.

He didn't seem to care when told that even Republicans had commented the discussion was already bi-partisan and going well before McCain's action.

This doesn't just smell like a stunt, it's screaming of one.

-spence
Old 09-25-2008, 01:07 PM   #17
slapshot

Obama would probably just vote "present" anyway...

bluefish Jihadist
Old 09-25-2008, 02:26 PM   #18
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
That makes no sense.

-spence
read your posts, it makes perfect sense

Old 09-25-2008, 02:30 PM   #19
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:

-spence
why is it you take the Obama story as truth and not McCains? As JR stated, his statment was a confusing bumble of words, I have no reason to believe one over the other. Seriously though, Obama needs to learn to speak off the cuff. This resposne and the report last week of the teleprompter at a state fair is embarrasing.
His mis-speaking would make great comedy along the lines of Bush and Ford, but we all know we cant make fun of him.

Old 09-25-2008, 02:37 PM   #20
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Barak Obama Bush's Third Term

Old 09-25-2008, 02:40 PM   #21
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

this is fantastic !
Letterman, WEll he makes a good point

Old 09-25-2008, 02:42 PM   #22
Bronko

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post

Old 09-25-2008, 02:47 PM   #23
Bronko

You take this guy off the teleprompter or lead him off subject he is going to get slaughtered. The Dems know it, the Republicans know it. He is an accident waiting to happen when he is working without a net.

It is actually really stunning since he does so well when he is prepped and comfortable. He just doesn't think on his feet well. The debates should be really interesting.

Old 09-25-2008, 02:52 PM   #24
buckman

They will have the debate and the bill will either be signed off on tomorrow or all but a done deal. I don't care who side you take on this one,all I know is it's the single most important bill that either side have put together in a long time and they seem to be hashing it out just fine. I think McCain knows how important it is going to be in the next four years and he feels more comfortable being in Washington. Obama's now the great multi-tasker and he's ok fund raising and working on the bill.

Last edited by buckman; 09-25-2008 at 03:00 PM..
Old 09-25-2008, 05:32 PM   #25
Joe

Debates are scripted - the only thing the candidate does not know is the order of the questions.
The handlers prep them with answers and talking points on all the major issues - the level of sophistication of both campaigns is such that they are able to determine most all the questions in advance.
But.....the situation this week with respect to the economy is still very fluid - both candidates will have to be able to think on their feet. What we'll find out is which candidate is the quickest economics study.

Old 09-25-2008, 05:57 PM   #26
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post
Actually no, it doesn't...

It appears that Obama was looking for a unified voice, rather, McCain set off on his own.

-spence
Old 09-25-2008, 05:58 PM   #27
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
They will have the debate and the bill will either be signed off on tomorrow or all but a done deal. I don't care who side you take on this one,all I know is it's the single most important bill that either side have put together in a long time and they seem to be hashing it out just fine. I think McCain knows how important it is going to be in the next four years and he feels more comfortable being in Washington. Obama's now the great multi-tasker and he's ok fund raising and working on the bill.
Wow, this is the most rational post I think you've ever made

I don't think McCain is personally using this stunt for campaign gain, I think he does think he's doing the right thing.

That being said, I think his advisors are out to milk it for all it's worth. Given what they're making him say to please the base I wouldn't put anything past them.

-spence
Old 09-25-2008, 05:59 PM   #28
sokinwet

I guess what really bothers me about this is that there seemed to be an agreement on the need and the direction of the bailout plan between dem's, the pres. and repub's. Now suddenly the %$%$%$%$ has hit the fan because a new totally different plan is being proposed by the repub. house....and it appears that McCain is involved in this last minute break from the pres. and senior repub's. Call me a cynic but the urgency in getting a plan passed that he spouted when suspending his operations and the debate seems to now be surplanted by a little politics. I can see the spin now...John McCain saves the US from economic collapse
Old 09-26-2008, 05:24 AM   #29
buckman

Quote:
Wow, this is the most rational post I think you've ever made

I don't think McCain is personally using this stunt for campaign gain, I think he does think he's doing the right thing.

That being said, I think his advisors are out to milk it for all it's worth. Given what they're making him say to please the base I wouldn't put anything past them.

-spence
Thanks Spence, I live for your approval

I think if they can some how get Wall Street to pay for this, that would be very agreeable to the Dems. It's an idea I had not heard about from anyone until yesterday. If that is the way it goes down, Obama is screwed and McCain will go to the debate as the one who got it done. And not on the taxpayers dime.
Old 09-26-2008, 05:33 AM   #30
buckman

Quote:
Actually no, it doesn't...

It appears that Obama was looking for a unified voice, rather, McCain set off on his own.

-spence
That's what Obama's camp implies happened. McCain's camp has a different story. Do you listen to Obama speak. He can never give credit to anyone but himself, for anything. He just ignores what happened and plugs himself. Wow, love is blind.