Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » StriperTalk!

StriperTalk! All things Striper

Old 02-12-2018, 12:13 PM   #31
bloocrab
Callinectes sapidus

Taking care of your gear goes a long way.
I think too many people are careless about how they treat their stuff, whether it's while they're using it, or how they clean and store it.
Lot a guys talk the talk...(about proper care of their gear)...but I think a good amount of folk, don't take the time, or make the time. Most people just aren't honest enough with themselves. (me included)

Rushing to bed, due to work in a couple of hours...and thinking that cleaning later on, after work...it'll all still be fine....or think, I'll be in em' again later, so no big deal...or just don't rinse enough in the right areas (been there, done that...but learned me lessonz$)

Boots have lasted me a lot longer due to adequate rinsing and being cognizant while in em'.
I've only had one pair fail within one season. They were cheap, so I wasn't surprised...some big-box store. But with the higher quality boots, I've had much success with proper care.
I've seen guys with loosely tied boots, dragging their feet on any surface, dirt path, asphalt, etc...and then before the season ends, they're complaining that the boots were junk? It doesn't work like that.
On the flip side, I know a guy who used to carry water bottles in the vehicle...as soon as he'd get back to the truck, he'd rinse all metals...eyelets, zippers, snaps, etc...

I wouldn't say I abused their policy with waders, but I definitely had no issues with returning them. Not surprised at all, that they're changing it either. If they made products that lasted forever, they'd be out of business....that thought process went out the window decades ago.

......it finally happened, there are no more secret spots
bloocrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 12:38 PM   #32
Pete F.
Canceled

Maybe now they'll drop the price of their waders and boots. I'd assume returns were a significant percentage..............

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Pete F. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 01:43 PM   #33
Slipknot
Super Moderator

same thing happened with Orvis
naturally I paid full price and then years later they did not honor the lifetime thing so I was out the shipping cost too.

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

1984 was a warning, not a guidebook!

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 03:11 PM   #34
Steve K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
Good for them. It was just a matter of time before they changed this policy. People suck
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Agree totally. People have no shame. Costco is next..
Steve K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 05:35 PM   #35
HookLine&Sinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5/0 View Post
It took me years to buy thier waders bc I knew and was told they were lifetime warranties and also knew I would breach them,
Yeah I was old school and was a neoprene guy but, finally caved and bought my first pair back in 13 and felt guilty on the first leak bringing them back and getting a newer version of what I bought the previous year...

Any hoo, got a new pair every year at someone's expense and lost touch with reality,but deep down knowing nobody works for free.

I don't,do you?

I don't blame them at all,I'm a huge contributor / buyer of LL Bean. I still have jackets that are 20 YO and are up to snuff.

Yea I'm gonna miss that trade in of my waders, but the bottom line is being responsible for what we own and purchase.

5/0
Stop swinging and missing on fish and you wont have to worry about falling on your a$$ and putting holes in them : )

"We're onto Cincinnati."-God

"Wanna know which ring is my favorite? The next one."-Jesus
HookLine&Sinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 06:18 AM   #36
Rmarsh

They make their waders as cheaply as they possibly can, then promise customer satisfaction. I am not ashamed of expecting a product to perform the task that it is supposed to. I have my doubts about the quality control, and if they actually test them for leaks, because I've had some leak after being used only a few times.
I won't be buying from LLBean again.....and would have moved on after being dissatisfied with my original purchase, but their policy encouraged me to return them, when I was inclined to write them off and buy another brand.
Label inside explains a lot too.

Last edited by Rmarsh; 08-26-2023 at 06:00 AM..
Rmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 07:07 AM   #37
Rmarsh

Next pair I buy, after my brand new "Made in China" beans start leaking, will be Simms.

https://youtu.be/s3D8cg1swhk?t=39
Old 02-13-2018, 07:41 AM   #38
Nebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmarsh View Post
Next pair I buy, after my brand new "Made in China" beans start leaking, will be Simms.

https://youtu.be/s3D8cg1swhk?t=39
I bought my Simms from........ wait for it........LL Bean I have had zero complaints with them. I’ll buy my next pair from them as well.
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 09:36 AM   #39
MAKAI
Too old to give a....

Nice looking Simms bootfoot for only a thousand bucks.
MAKAI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 05:52 AM   #40
Rmarsh

Quote:
I bought my Simms from........ wait for it........LL Bean I have had zero complaints with them. I’ll buy my next pair from them as well.
I could be mistaken but I dont think LLBean is selling Simms waders anymore.
Old 02-14-2018, 09:29 AM   #41
Nebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmarsh View Post
I could be mistaken but I dont think LLBean is selling Simms waders anymore.
If that’s that is the case, it’s thanks to dirtbag fishermen who took advantage of this loophole of unlimited returns.
Old 02-14-2018, 09:57 AM   #42
Steve K

I bought my Simms G3 waders from cabelas. When they leaked, cabelas gave me a credit and I bought a cheap pair of cabelas. The cabelas with the zipper have been great but they don’t make them anymore.
Steve K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 10:13 AM   #43
Sea Dangles

Quote:
If that’s that is the case, it’s thanks to dirtbag fishermen who took advantage of this loophole of unlimited returns.
Are you sure about this?

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Sea Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 12:34 PM   #44
Nebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dangles View Post
Are you sure about this?
I’m sure of one thing 100%. mant Many fishermen bought 1 pair of waders and would return them as soon as a leak occurred.
As far as Simms goes, no I am not sure, but common sense dictates cause and effect outcomes.
Old 02-14-2018, 12:44 PM   #45
Ed B

There was a good article in the paper a week or so ago talking to this subject of LL Bean and the unlimited return policy and the inevitability of finally having to eliminate it. It was abuse across all their product lines and the stories and examples they cited were pretty crazy. People would scour yard sales and flea markets looking for LL Bean labels to return, kids in entire school systems in Maine would get the latest new backpacks every year just by turning in their old ones. The company president, LL Bean's grandson, donated a bunch of his own clothes to a goodwill type charity. He had his name written on the tags and found some of his stuff later returned to the store for gift cards. They had no choice but to change the policy. I think they mentioned something about a new 1 year policy now.
Ed B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 04:09 PM   #46
MAKAI
Too old to give a....

Guess it’s back to wearing rain pants and waterproof socks under my waders.
MAKAI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 04:19 PM   #47
MakoMike

Just heard on the radio that someone in IL or IN just filed a class action lawsuit against them hoping to reinstate the policy, at least for past purchases. I can see a court affirming the lawsuit on the basis of a contractual commitment.

****MakoMike****

Http://www.Makomania.net

Official S-B Sponsor
MakoMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 05:26 PM   #48
Guppy
User

Don't throw those boots out just yet!
image.jpg

Ya, I know, I need to work on my riveting skills
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 08:10 AM   #49
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

I think this is much more a statement about our society today than it is about a corporation and their decision to change a policy. The change was necessary because so many people cannot be trusted to DO THE RIGHT THING WHEN NO ONE IS WATCHING.......

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 09:35 AM   #50
5/0
Eels

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookLine&Sinker View Post
Stop swinging and missing on fish and you wont have to worry about falling on your a$$ and putting holes in them : )
Maybe a swing and a miss to you,but not stopping a fish after a minute and a spap happens.

Then retrieve and find out the brand new HD 6/0 snapped & not the knots...

The hook gave way not the knots, I still have that hook on my key ring.

Last edited by 5/0; 02-20-2018 at 07:55 PM..

Live bait sharp hooks and timing is all you need
5/0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 09:35 PM   #51
5/0
Eels

Bump for HLS!
5/0 is offline   Reply With Quote