Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Sports Talk - Title Town

Sports Talk - Title Town Sports Talk - Our Home for the 2004/2007 World Champion Red Sox, Super Bowl XXXVI, XXXVIII, XXXIX Champion Patriots! SEVENTEEN TIME NBA Champion Boston Celtics, 2011 winners of Lord Stanley's Cup Boston Bruins!!!

Old 05-02-2009, 05:17 AM   #1
Dad 818
Hunting for a 40

Titles in your life

Was just thinking the other day that my son has no idea the suffering that Boston sports fans have to endure. He is 7. He has been alive for 6 titles already.

01-Patriots
03-Patriots
04-Red Sox
04-Patriots
07-Red Sox
08-Celtics

I'm 39 and have been alive for 13 And I don't remember 3 of them: 70 & 72 Bruins and 73 Celtics.
Dad 818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 08:35 AM   #2
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

I was around for the Celtics glory days under Red. I thought an NBA title was a birthright.

I suffered throught 3 consecutive NFL title game losses with the Giants (1961-1963) and then, as the banner towed over the Meadowlands read, "20 years of lousy football". But now I've seen three Super Bowl wins.

I remember the 2 Stanley Cups and how much the 1971 playoffs and a guy named Dryden sucked. The Bs set every offensive record you could think of in the regular season and came out flat for the first round of the playoffs. By all rights, the Bs should have had 5 Cups in a row. Then a bunch of guys jumped to the WHA and they left Westfall unprotected in the expansion draft, and he went to the Islanders.

I've also enjoyed two World Series titles---but not with the Sox

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
Mike P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 08:59 AM   #3
MarshCappa
Marcia! Marcia! Marcia!

As a teenager in the 80's I loved watching the Celtics! Got pretty spoiled on them. I also was a huge Marvin Hagler fan. I loved watching him fight.

"Sunshine Day Dream"
MarshCappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 09:11 AM   #4
HookLine&Sinker

im 15, still waiting for that stanley cup! its been wayyyy to long of a wait

i would also like to see a bcs championship in boston but that looks like it will never happen maybe if penn state won it, that would be close enough.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
HookLine&Sinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 09:53 AM   #5
Dad 818
Hunting for a 40

Oh and forgot this pearl from my son. We are walking through the mall last week and he is wearing his Papi jersey and Sox hat. This guy wearing a Yankees hat starts chatting with him about baseball while we are waiting in line to eat. "Son, why are you a Red Sox fan. Don't you know how many WS Titles the Yankees have won?"

My son tells him "None since I've been alive" Everyone in line just busts out laughing including the Yankee fan. He tells my son "You'll be a New England fan your whole life"
Old 05-03-2009, 10:09 AM   #6
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

The night the Sox won in '04 my son jumps up and yells......"I've been Waiting 10 years for this"........he has no idea.....

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 10:42 AM   #7
striperman36
Old Guy

don't forget the terrible '86 loss to Chicago in Superbowl XX.

Sweat dome game 7 1984 against the lakers, I met all of the team that year after breakfast at the park plaza before they got in the MDC boats. pre-duck boat bays.
Danny Ainge is taller than me, I'm 6'4"
striperman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 03:52 PM   #8
rwilhelm

Yes it is a great time to be a NE sports fan! I grew up watching the great Celtics vs. Lakers battles of the 80's. The 90's was a drought but this decade has been unbelievable!!!
rwilhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 09:00 AM   #9
Dad 818
Hunting for a 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
The night the Sox won in '04 my son jumps up and yells......"I've been Waiting 10 years for this"........he has no idea.....

That's hysterical.
Old 05-06-2009, 09:25 AM   #10
joebe

Titles

I have a 13 year old that has also had the luck of growing up in these glory days. I was listening to some of his friends talk the other day and was amazed at the level of complacency. If these fourtunes turn, and let's face it they probably will they will be crushed. Or they will just move on tp the next most instanly gratifying thing 9video game).
joebe is offline   Reply With Quote