Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Sports Talk - Title Town

Sports Talk - Title Town Sports Talk - Our Home for the 2004/2007 World Champion Red Sox, Super Bowl XXXVI, XXXVIII, XXXIX Champion Patriots! SEVENTEEN TIME NBA Champion Boston Celtics, 2011 winners of Lord Stanley's Cup Boston Bruins!!!

Old 03-14-2021, 09:47 AM   #1
Rmarsh

Marvin Hagler

My favorite boxer of all time has passed away at 66 years old.
Met the legend once at lincoln park ballroom where they used to hold amatuer boxing bouts. He was there to support one of the amateurs from the Petronelli brothers team from Brockton. Asked him for his autograph and he was engaging and friendly. RIP
Rmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 03:19 PM   #2
Hookedagain

Sad news for sure. He was my all time favorite. When I was a boy my uncle worked for a company in Stoughton as a long haul truck driver. I would travel with him when I was out of school for the summer. Hagler also worked there loading trucks. He was always a nice guy. Fast forward almost 40 years....he was living in New Hampshire for the last several years and I have a place up in Bartlett. He would come into the bar at Attitash and have dinner and a beer quite often. My wife and I have sat with him many times and chewed the fat. I was pleased to know he remembers me as the kid that went with his uncle. Very genuine guy. RIP.
Hookedagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 06:15 AM   #3
Rmarsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookedagain View Post
Sad news for sure. He was my all time favorite. When I was a boy my uncle worked for a company in Stoughton as a long haul truck driver. I would travel with him when I was out of school for the summer. Hagler also worked there loading trucks. He was always a nice guy. Fast forward almost 40 years....he was living in New Hampshire for the last several years and I have a place up in Bartlett. He would come into the bar at Attitash and have dinner and a beer quite often. My wife and I have sat with him many times and chewed the fat. I was pleased to know he remembers me as the kid that went with his uncle. Very genuine guy. RIP.

Cool story there Hooked
In his prime..... and in person you could see he was an incredible physical specimen....same height and weight as I was at the time....except he was all muscle. He had an amazing record....67 fights with 52 KO's. He was robbed by the judges in a split decision when he fought the medias golden boy.....sugar ray leonard

In a pro boxing career spanning 14 years and 67 fights, Marvelous Marvin Hagler never was knocked down.
Old 03-15-2021, 03:45 PM   #4
Guppy
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookedagain View Post
Cool Spud
My brother in law use to own the Bartlett Inn before the Mysterious fire... we’d stay there to ski Attitash,,,, nephew lives in the house behind that lot, great hard working young man and family....

I miss 🎿 skiing... and my knees... LOL
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 07:37 PM   #5
Hookedagain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppy View Post
Cool Spud
My brother in law use to own the Bartlett Inn before the Mysterious fire... we’d stay there to ski Attitash,,,, nephew lives in the house behind that lot, great hard working young man and family....

I miss 🎿 skiing... and my knees... LOL
We ski Attitash quite a bit each year. I've had a place up there since 1998 and made good use of it while Jacob was growing up. This year he is away at college in New York, the wife and I didn't ski at all. My body is really feeling the construction trade this year. It was bitter sweet as I was dying to ski but it felt pretty good not nursing the pains.
Hookedagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 05:24 AM   #6
Rmarsh

Greatest three rounds in boxing history.....

https://youtu.be/yqtiewLWEn4?t=360
Old 04-04-2021, 01:52 PM   #7
Clammer

Rmarsh my favorite also

met him once .saw him live 3 times & big screen twice

never followed much after the sugar robbery

ENJOY WHAT YOU HAVE !!!

MIKE
Clammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 04:30 PM   #8
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmarsh View Post
Cool story there Hooked
In his prime..... and in person you could see he was an incredible physical specimen....same height and weight as I was at the time....except he was all muscle. He had an amazing record....67 fights with 52 KO's. He was robbed by the judges in a split decision when he fought the medias golden boy.....sugar ray leonard

In a pro boxing career spanning 14 years and 67 fights, Marvelous Marvin Hagler never was knocked down.
He was also robbed by the judges who scored his first title shot against Antuofermo as a draw. Vito looked like he walked face first into a cheese grater after the fight. That pretty much told him that he and the Petronelli Brothers were considered boxing outsiders by the Kings and Arums of the world, and he was only going to win by a KO. So when he went to London to fight Minter on his home turf for the title, he took care of business.

His 2 early losses to Willie Monroe and Bobby Watts were questionable as well.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
Mike P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 06:24 AM   #9
Rmarsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike P View Post
He was also robbed by the judges who scored his first title shot against Antuofermo as a draw. Vito looked like he walked face first into a cheese grater after the fight. That pretty much told him that he and the Petronelli Brothers were considered boxing outsiders by the Kings and Arums of the world, and he was only going to win by a KO. So when he went to London to fight Minter on his home turf for the title, he took care of business.

His 2 early losses to Willie Monroe and Bobby Watts were questionable as well.

He left Minter a bloody mess... and the british fans showed they had no class at all... they pelted the ring with beer cans and bottles after the fight was stopped.....Minter was fortunate the fight didnt go on any longer.....he may have suffered more serious injuries.