Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Sports Talk - Title Town

Sports Talk - Title Town Sports Talk - Our Home for the 2004/2007 World Champion Red Sox, Super Bowl XXXVI, XXXVIII, XXXIX Champion Patriots! SEVENTEEN TIME NBA Champion Boston Celtics, 2011 winners of Lord Stanley's Cup Boston Bruins!!!

Old 03-21-2012, 05:24 PM   #121
Chunkah

Pathetic loss by Liverpool today....
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Chunkah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:38 AM   #122
Clogston29
xxx

liverpool sucks. screwed me in fantasy this week. every time they start to look alittle better, they do that. i'm done with them, except maybe skrtel.

"Remember, my friend, that knowledge is stronger than memory, and we should not trust the weaker" - Van Helsing
Clogston29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 10:54 AM   #123
Chunkah

A whole new low for LFC today. Andy Carroll is a POS and needs to be sold....sad times.
Old 04-03-2012, 03:14 AM   #124
mosholu
Mosholu

Although the Suarez suspension hurt Liverpool season really went downhill when they lost Lucas and Agger to injury. I agree with you all regarding Carroll. May go down as the worst transfer in the history of the EPL. In fact most of the moves King Kenny has made up to now have not panned out (Jordan Henderson is another one - Enrique was a good signing though). The thing that made the Carroll signing for such a large fee strange for me was he had a lot of off field issues while at Newcastle which showed him to be a bit unstable.
As for Arsenal it was hard to watch. Chance to put Spurs under pressure for third and they just did not show up and QPR pushed and bullied them all over the park. Thought when the equalized a bell would go off but they were asleep at the wheel. Makes next w/e game against Man City tough to call because both teams are playing poorly.
mosholu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 06:35 AM   #125
Clogston29
xxx

what makes the andy carrol signing so bad, at least to me, is that it was so predictable. i don't see how they thought he would thrive a liverpool. he never really even showed signs of being worth that kind of money. if they wanted that type of player, they could have gotten crouch (who I'm not a big fan of) for alot less money. i think liverpool was just desperate to make a splash.

at least some of the other recent big busts, like fernando torres, looked good on paper.

"Remember, my friend, that knowledge is stronger than memory, and we should not trust the weaker" - Van Helsing
Old 04-03-2012, 06:08 PM   #126
numbskull
Oblivious // Grunt, Grunt Master

Credit to Newcastle they have been the biggest surprise in the EPL this year. Very entertaining side they have now with Ben Afra pulling the strings for Cisse and Ba, Tiote and Guthrie stonewalling the midfield and Cabaye tying things together. Whoever is finding players for them is doing the best job in the entire EPL right now. Their defense is thin, but with a little luck they could yet end up 4th. It would be nice to see them hold onto Ba and Tiote come summer. They are not far away from putting a scare into the EPL elite.
numbskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 08:06 AM   #127
mosholu
Mosholu

Agreed. Pardew should be a top contender for Manager of the Year. However I have a lot of time for David Moyes of Everton who despite the fact that he never has any money always finds a way to keep them in the top ten close to the European slots. If they finish above LFC Merseyside will be a real interesting place over the summer. Newly promoted Swansea and Norwich have also done quite well.
Old 04-04-2012, 07:34 PM   #128
numbskull

Pardew gets credit, but it is really whoever at Newcastle is finding the players for him that deserves the praise.

Agreed Moyes is a class act. It would be interesting to see what he could do with some $$$ backing him.

The guy I admire most is Lambert. He would get my vote for manager of the year. The team he has built plays way above the sum of their individual skills.
Old 04-09-2012, 05:55 AM   #129
Clogston29
xxx

cisse looked great again, second goal was great. very interested to see how they handle ba in the off season, especially if Liverpool come calling as is rumored.

looks like city can't take the heat. mancinni will lose his job for backing, and failing to rein in, Balotelli, Tevez and the rest. Its a shame, because Balotelli has so much skill, but he was an embarrassment this weekend. The chosen one is probably already house shopping in Manchester, which would remove any doubt about Balotelli's future there. love the soap opera stuff.

meanwhile united just chug along. got a bit of a gift in that game, but I think they would have taken 3 points even without it. what a run of form by scholes at his age. i thought that move was pure desperation and would never work out, should not have doubted sir alex on that one.

Old 04-11-2012, 12:43 PM   #130
luds
Night Stalker

I love these mid week league games. Just called my wife at home to have her set the DVR for the City and United games this afternoon.

luds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 08:22 AM   #131
Chunkah

That United Wigan game was great!
Old 04-16-2012, 08:14 PM   #132
numbskull

As was the Arsenal-Wigan game. Gotta love watching Wenger dissolve in frustration. That Moses guy was a handful. I'll be surprised if Wigan can hold onto him.
Old 04-17-2012, 12:23 PM   #133
Chunkah

I hear you numby...Wenger is great to watch when in full meltdown.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:54 AM   #134
Clogston29
xxx

good run by wigan. could save their status in the EPL and marinez's job. al habsi has had a good year. was funny that he got carded in stoppage time for time wasting, seeing that he started doing it in the first half.

bad loss for united but their still in control if they take care of business down the stretch.

will be interesting (at least for me) to see how tevez does down the stretch. don't always like how he handles things off the field, but on the field he's the man. i still wish it had worked out for him at united.

Old 04-18-2012, 09:57 PM   #135
luds
Night Stalker

Totally focused on champs league right now. I have this love hate thing with Chelsea. I want them to be destroyed when they play Spurs and United but for some reason I need them to do well in other games. It's like all is not right with the league if they are not dominant. Watching them get a result against Barca today was great and they did it with some great defending. I also sympathize with Torres for some reason and want him to do well and surprise everyone.

Josh,
I can't believe you think Roberto Martinez job is in jeopardy. I know its the EPL and every coach is on the hot seat other than Sir Alex but RM has a solid rep. Are there alot of rumors about him getting #^&#^&#^&#^& canned? I hope not. Wigan has such a weak roster.

Old 04-19-2012, 06:37 AM   #136
Chunkah

Funny, I have a hate / hate thing with Chelski and want to see Torres or Terry blow a knee....

Martinez seems to be a pretty good coach. Excellent results recently with a glorified Championship squad...hope the guy gets a shot with a "big" club one day.
Old 04-19-2012, 08:07 AM   #137
Clogston29
xxx

just speculation on my part. relegation is never good for a coach. better managers on worse clubs have been fired for getting relegated before.

Old 04-22-2012, 03:52 PM   #138
Chunkah

Everton played a hell of a match today and ManC won....a nice tight race for the title!

Another home loss by Liverpool....boy they need a first class striker. Newcastle keeps rolling and QPR pull out a huge win....a good weekends action for sure!
Old 04-24-2012, 04:03 PM   #139
numbskull

ManC looked impotent until Silva went off and Toure moved forward. I hope they leave him up there for the game against ManU. Still, I will be surprised if ManC pulls off a win. They look too to be playing too slowly to threaten ManU much. We'll see.

Newcastle's offense is as good as anyone's right now. It wouldn't surprise me entirely that even if ManC takes the points from ManU, they still go on to lose the title against Newcastle.
Old 04-24-2012, 04:21 PM   #140
mosholu
Mosholu

Chelsea in the CL today were fantastic. Played with 10 men for 53 minutes and scored two goals. They will have a number of key player suspended for the final but a Chelsea real Madrid final would be great.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:23 PM   #141
numbskull

Fascinating spectacle. I haven't liked Chelsea since the days of Jimmy Floyd and Zola ended, but I like Dimatteo and want to see him do well. I've also gotten a bit tired of Barcelona. As amazing as their players are their passing and possession dominance forces other teams into a shell and the game becomes stagnant.
Old 04-25-2012, 01:08 PM   #142
mosholu
Mosholu

Quote:
Originally Posted by numbskull View Post
Fascinating spectacle. I haven't liked Chelsea since the days of Jimmy Floyd and Zola ended, but I like Dimatteo and want to see him do well. I've also gotten a bit tired of Barcelona. As amazing as their players are their passing and possession dominance forces other teams into a shell and the game becomes stagnant.
Barca very much remind me of an Arsene Wenger team (with obviously better players at present) in that there is no plan B to the offense. If they can not play their one touch game they have no other way to score. What happens is you blow out 95% of the teams you play but when you get to the critical games that you must win against solid defensive clubs you get frustrated and the play goes from side to side endlessly. In the second half Alves tried putting some corners in but hardly anyone on Barca is close to or over 6 foot so Chelsea dealt with them with not much stress. Why they did not try shooting from the top of the box is a question but it goes back to your point that they only know one way to play.
Once again Terry shows himself to be a complete mug and may be the first man in history to cause his team to lose two CL finals. Glad to see Torres get a goal as I think he is a class player. Finally, Ramires is showing himself to be a real force and may be the center of that team in years to come.
Old 04-27-2012, 11:21 PM   #143
luds
Night Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosholu View Post
Once again Terry shows himself to be a complete mug and may be the first man in history to cause his team to lose two CL finals. .
It really is unreal. Talking about digging your own grave. I hope Luiz and Cahil are health for the final. I love them both.

Old 04-29-2012, 02:19 PM   #144
Chunkah

Roy Hodgson approached by FA to become the new manager of England....who would have guessed?
Old 04-30-2012, 03:37 PM   #145
mosholu
Mosholu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunkah View Post
Roy Hodgson approached by FA to become the new manager of England....who would have guessed?
The FA were never really comfortable with Harry as he is too dodgy a character to have as the coach of the national team. They see him as another Terry Venebles. Watching the Manchester City United game and I can not understand why Sir Alex has not taken Nani off and tried Ashley Young. Nani does not have it tonight.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:48 PM   #146
numbskull

ManU looked old. No shots on net against a team that had to push forward to win a game? Ferguson blinked when it counted the most.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:13 PM   #147
Clogston29
xxx

strange lineup to be sure. i didn't get to watch the game, but was very surprised to see the lineup online.

Old 05-11-2012, 01:50 PM   #148
Clogston29
xxx

guess i'll be pulling for joey barton and the rest of the rangers this weekend.

Old 05-11-2012, 03:50 PM   #149
luds
Night Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clogston29 View Post
guess i'll be pulling for joey barton and the rest of the rangers this weekend.
Yeah. Me too. Interesting how Fox is broadcasting so many games at the same time on all their networks like speed. I'll be at a mothers' day brunch and my DVR can only record 2 games at a time unfortunately.

Old 05-13-2012, 10:27 AM   #150
Clogston29
xxx

Jamie Mackie !!!!!!!

A lot easier to pull for qpr now that barton is off. What a piece of #^&#^&#^&#^&.