Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 02-02-2019, 10:34 AM   #1
Jim in CT

Should the VA governor retire?

In his medical school yearbook page, there is a photo of 2 guys - one in blackface, the other dressed as a Klansmen. One if the VA governor. He's not having a good week. I don't think he should have to retire over something stupid he did in the 1980s. He's a democrat.

Earlier this week, he gave an interview where he said very explicitly that he's OK with abortions being performed after the baby is born and outside of the womb. Of course, that's no longer abortion, that is infanticide. And he's a pediatrician. So he's bonkers.

They're all trying to out-left each other. And they are deep, deep into the Twilight Zone.
Old 02-02-2019, 10:47 AM   #2
PaulS

I think we're too quick sometimes to make someone quit or retire for something they did when they were young. Anything under certain age you should look at and take into account what they've done after that. Obviously I'm not talking about murder excetera. That said the job that person is allowed to do in their later life should not include being Governor Senator president excetera.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 02-02-2019, 10:57 AM   #3
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
Earlier this week, he gave an interview where he said very explicitly that he's OK with abortions being performed after the baby is born and outside of the womb. Of course, that's no longer abortion, that is infanticide. And he's a pediatrician. So he's bonkers.
Maybe it looks bonkers to you because that’s not what he said?
Old 02-02-2019, 11:05 AM   #4
wdmso

The photos have been in the public sphere since 1984 ... this story isn’t about outrage over the photos it’s all about abortion and his support of it..

How will anyone in their 20’s run for office in their 40s or 50s in today’s digital world

In high school when I was 16 I painted 2 SS lighting bolts on the front of my helmet... for no other reason than I thought it looked cool ... as an adult knowing the historical meaning of those symbols .. I am embarrassed .... How ever if I continue to use such imagery and symbolism in my Adult life knowing the truth.. that changes things 100%
Old 02-02-2019, 11:08 AM   #5
PaulS

And for anyone to claim that he said they would perform infant side on the baby after it was born is a liar
Old 02-02-2019, 12:51 PM   #6
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Maybe it looks bonkers to you because that’s not what he said?
he said the baby would
he kept comfortable, and a conversation could
take
place between the
mom and the doctor. he was talking about discussing termination.
Old 02-02-2019, 12:52 PM   #7
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
The photos have been in the public sphere since 1984 ... this story isn’t about outrage over the photos it’s all about abortion and his support of it..

How will anyone in their 20’s run for office in their 40s or 50s in today’s digital world

In high school when I was 16 I painted 2 SS lighting bolts on the front of my helmet... for no other reason than I thought it looked cool ... as an adult knowing the historical meaning of those symbols .. I am embarrassed .... How ever if I continue to use such imagery and symbolism in my Adult life knowing the truth.. that changes things 100%
no
one is saying they saw the
photos until
now. and warren is calling for his resignation, as is booker and harris. they aren’t doing so because he favors abortion.
Old 02-02-2019, 12:52 PM   #8
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
And for anyone to claim that he said they would perform infant side on the baby after it was born is a liar
he said the
mom and the physician could
discuss it.
Old 02-02-2019, 01:03 PM   #9
spence

Quote:
he said the baby would
he kept comfortable, and a conversation could
take
place between the
mom and the doctor. he was talking about discussing termination.
His response was a bit clumsy and clinical but the context was a baby that wasn’t likely to survive, not an elective termination after birth. I just pulled my mom off life support a month ago. Sometimes you have to make hard choices that are better for everyone.
Old 02-02-2019, 01:15 PM   #10
Cool Beans

I think it is unfair to judge someone on today's values. Since it was published, sold to students, parents saw them, and nobody then thought it was an issue, it WAS acceptable by his city and state at the time it happened. These kids were doing something that they did not intend to cause hate, but were likely just trying to be funny. Just like in Blazing Saddles with the KKK outfits.. just because someone is wearing an outfit in a nearly 40 year old picture, we cannot really judge it without context. Perhaps if all of his classmates and teachers all testified that he was truly a racist, then maybe..... Our society changed every day... many things we may have done as kids, might be considered taboo now, but were normal kids being kids stuff back then. I remember playing cowboys and Indians with my friends using cap guns and plastic bow and arrows. It wasn't kids being racist, it was kids playing with other kids in a game that was part of society. If the knuckehead voters in his state think he no longer represents them, (with the abortion comments and photos) then its their responsibility to impeach and remove him... He represents his state and its their business.
Old 02-02-2019, 01:25 PM   #11
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Beans View Post
I think it is unfair to judge someone on today's values. Since it was published, sold to students, parents saw them, and nobody then thought it was an issue, it WAS acceptable by his city and state at the time it happened. These kids were doing something that they did not intend to cause hate, but were likely just trying to be funny. Just like in Blazing Saddles with the KKK outfits.. just because someone is wearing an outfit in a nearly 40 year old picture, we cannot really judge it without context. Perhaps if all of his classmates and teachers all testified that he was truly a racist, then maybe..... Our society changed every day... many things we may have done as kids, might be considered taboo now, but were normal kids being kids stuff back then.
I’d generally agree. Does he have a history of behavior or is this a one time lapse of thought that appearantly the people printing the yearbook didn’t have any issue with. He does have a pretty solid life of service to our country and healthcare. That being said he didn’t handle the response very well.
Old 02-02-2019, 01:32 PM   #12
PaulS

Quote:
he said the
mom and the physician could
discuss it.
No he didn't say discuss "it". He said the baby would be resuscitated and then a discussion would ensue between the family and the doctor. It's certainly poorly worded.

He did note that he voted Republican previously and voted for GW Bush twice. He's also saying he doesn't remember the picture and has reached out to others in his class to discuss it. I'm not sure if he was saying it is not him. Although that might be what he is impling.
we'll have to see. Let's not rush to judgment right?
Old 02-02-2019, 01:42 PM   #13
wdmso

Quote:
no
one is saying they saw the
photos until
now. and warren is calling for his resignation, as is booker and harris. they aren’t doing so because he favors abortion.
The photos came because of his position on abortion

Sadly they are more concerned about 2020 votes there will be 100 of these gotcha moments on both sides in the months to come

I had an old photo post by a Marine friend from like 1985 it was me no doubt. But I couldn’t tell you The Who what were it was taken or who else was in it .. Alcohol tends to do that

Last edited by wdmso; 02-02-2019 at 01:47 PM..
Old 02-02-2019, 03:24 PM   #14
scottw

So much irony here
Old 02-02-2019, 04:01 PM   #15
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
His response was a bit clumsy and clinical but the context was a baby that wasn’t likely to survive, not an elective termination after birth. I just pulled my mom off life support a month ago. Sometimes you have to make hard choices that are better for everyone.
first, youbsaid he wasn’t talking about killing a living baby. now he was merely talking about a baby not likely to survive. which is it?

if you’re ok killing a baby two seconds before it’s born, why wouldn’t you be ok with killing it two seconds after? how is the baby any different? it’s the same exact being it was a
minute ago, only the surroundings have changed. geography is a requirement for personhood?
Old 02-02-2019, 04:02 PM   #16
Jim in CT

Quote:
The photos came because of his position on abortion

Sadly they are more concerned about 2020 votes there will be 100 of these gotcha moments on both sides in the months to come

I had an old photo post by a Marine friend from like 1985 it was me no doubt. But I couldn’t tell you The Who what were it was taken or who else was in it .. Alcohol tends to do that
sonthenphoto doeant matter, because of the
motives of whoever released it.

i said i don’t think he should resign. many leading democrats are saying the loudest that he should. don’t blame me.
Old 02-02-2019, 04:06 PM   #17
Jim in CT

wdmso, it’s not abortion after the baby is born, that’s infanticide.
Old 02-02-2019, 04:48 PM   #18
wdmso

Quote:
wdmso, it’s not abortion after the baby is born, that’s infanticide.
No if the baby was born alive and they smashed its head and could survive outside the womb ... it would be murder

but please keep thinking all pro choice people would find your support the above if it was factual
Old 02-02-2019, 05:06 PM   #19
Nebe

Quote:
first, youbsaid he wasn’t talking about killing a living baby. now he was merely talking about a baby not likely to survive. which is it?

if you’re ok killing a baby two seconds before it’s born, why wouldn’t you be ok with killing it two seconds after? how is the baby any different? it’s the same exact being it was a
minute ago, only the surroundings have changed. geography is a requirement for personhood?
They taste better if you kill them while they are still marinating.
Old 02-02-2019, 05:08 PM   #20
scottw

Wtf?
Old 02-02-2019, 05:47 PM   #21
Nebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
Wtf?
They are more tender as well.
Old 02-02-2019, 06:26 PM   #22
Pete F.
Canceled

There’s a good piece in https://thebulwark.com/its-time-for-...e-on-abortion/ by a rational prolife author
Not one that’s convinced liberal women get pregnant just so they can kill
Old 02-04-2019, 04:55 AM   #23
wdmso

Iowa Republican Rep. Steve King was removed from his House committees Monday in the wake of comments he made last week about white nationalism and white supremacy. (among other comments ) His party did not asked for him to resign???

Dems eat their own its their biggest weakness
Old 02-05-2019, 08:13 AM   #24
DZ

Quote:
I agree - they have set a line they have to live by.

Lots of others may fall.

https://www.thisisinsider.com/celebr...ckface-2018-10

DZ
Recreational Surfcaster
"Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your Limit"

Bi + Ne = SB 2

If you haven't heard of the Snowstorm Blitz of 1987 - you someday will.
Old 02-05-2019, 08:43 AM   #25
Cool Beans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
They taste better if you kill them while they are still marinating.
You are so "going to hell" LOL

On another thought if one was to chemically kill a bunch of striper eggs before they could hatch in a river, what is the penalty? Pretty sure you get arrested for killing unborn fish, but its ok to kill unborn humans.

Or if I owned a pregnant dog and it killed her puppies (because she bred with an unwanted breed)... I'd get arrested for that too... we humans are a weird bunch....
Old 02-05-2019, 08:45 AM   #26
Jim in CT

Quote:

Well, all the feminists who demanded that Kavanaugh step aside (based on unsubstantiated accusations), are any of them demanding that the VA Lt Governor step down (based on unsubstantiated accusations)? Haven't heard a single person demand that he step down. Nada.
Old 02-05-2019, 09:20 AM   #27
wdmso

Quote:
Well, all the feminists who demanded that Kavanaugh step aside (based on unsubstantiated accusations), are any of them demanding that the VA Lt Governor step down (based on unsubstantiated accusations)? Haven't heard a single person demand that he step down. Nada.
Again your not reading the news there a lot calling him to leave

But again the 2 incidents are not remotely the same but as always you think they are .. ones a photo (can you tell it’s him) ones physical complaint.. by a real person

Ones on the highest court got his hearings

This guy they just want his resignation and the same source is after the lt governor... classic conservatives smear campaign
Old 02-05-2019, 10:09 AM   #28
Jim in CT

Quote:
Again your not reading the news there a lot calling him to leave

But again the 2 incidents are not remotely the same but as always you think they are .. ones a photo (can you tell it’s him) ones physical complaint.. by a real person

Ones on the highest court got his hearings

This guy they just want his resignation and the same source is after the lt governor... classic conservatives smear campaign
I have seen many, many democrats demand the governor step down. Who is saying the Lieutenant Governor should step down?

The Lt Governor is accused of sexual assault, with zero corraberating evidence, just like Kavanaugh. So why would anyone have thought Kavanaugh should step down, but not the Lt Governor?

I'm not comparing what the governor did, and what the Lt Governor did. I am comparing the Lt Governor's situation, with Kavanaugh's situation. Again, try to respond to what I am actually saying, not to made-up gibberish.

Who is demanding that the Lt Governor step down?

"classic conservatives smear campaign"

The Washington Post is conservative now?
Old 02-05-2019, 11:59 AM   #29
DZ

I'm glad the Governor is not backing down so far.

There needs to be a burden of proof that he did this with malicious racial intent and not some stupid masquerade party (or something similar) stunt.

Lt governor's accuser has to offer some positive evidence of sexual assault.

Now that this has happened to both sides on multiple occasions I think we can all agree that we can't keep relying on "she said" incidents without definitive evidence of a crime. Burden of proof must remain the responsibility of the victim/accuser.

Last edited by DZ; 02-05-2019 at 11:59 AM.. Reason: edit

DZ
Recreational Surfcaster
"Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your Limit"

Bi + Ne = SB 2

If you haven't heard of the Snowstorm Blitz of 1987 - you someday will.
Old 02-05-2019, 12:16 PM   #30
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZ View Post
Burden of proof must remain the responsibility of the victim/accuser when the accused is a democrat. When the accused is a Republican, we can ignore due process.
I agree with you , but I fixed it to make it match the reality in which we live in.