Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 09-04-2009, 01:33 PM   #1
buckman

Warned you!!!

I think someone said this would not happen? Sad, just sad.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/politico/200...politico/26759

Made me go back and read a few threads from Feb. Scary how many predictions are coming true. I suggest JD and Spence go back and read them.
Old 09-04-2009, 04:22 PM   #2
Nebe

are you saying reporters should not report what happens on the battle field?? censor the press?

maybe we should go back to lieing to the public like when Tillman was killed by friendly fire..
Old 09-04-2009, 04:43 PM   #3
JohnnyD

Not sure where the reference to me comes in.

But yeah, let's continue to isolate the American public from what's actually happening in Afghanistan and Iraq. Soldier deaths are just a number on tv now anyway that the pubic is numb to.

Something like this furthers my deepest debts to those who make the ultimate commitment, and in many cases, the ultimate sacrifice.

I met a young veteran (maybe 28 years old). He played 18 holes in a Pro/Am tournament. Seems unremarkable at first... until you look down and see he lost both legs to an IED and played better golf than I'd ever dream to be able to play.
Old 09-04-2009, 04:56 PM   #4
Nebe

perhaps we should not see the images of the Dday landing or the landing of tarawa...

my grandfather came up on red beach 2 next to this amtrak and had one of his best BAR gunners brains explode all over him... after wading across 600 yards of open lagoon under heavy fire.
Anyone who died that day would want you to see this so that hopefully it would never happen again.

Old 09-04-2009, 05:07 PM   #5
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
I think someone said this would not happen? Sad, just sad.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/politico/200...politico/26759

Made me go back and read a few threads from Feb. Scary how many predictions are coming true. I suggest JD and Spence go back and read them.
Please be specific with your predictions...

What's sad is that a family lost their son.

As an aside, a few months ago our shuttle at the Philly airport was stopped in the dark and pouring rain as a fallen Marine was loaded into the hold of a jet. Everyone was racing to catch a flight and instantly...forgot about it. Very moving...

-spence
Old 09-04-2009, 05:19 PM   #6
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
perhaps we should not see the images of the Dday landing or the landing of tarawa...
Battle scenes yes, reporting yes, but not a pic of individual soldiers taking their last breath.

Where is the compassion for the American family?

They are the one's who should make such a decision.

I have 2 nephews serving, one just returned from Iraq the other fighting in Kabul, Afghanistan.
Neither i nor my brother and his family would want to see the last moments, God forbid, of either one under those circumstances.

" Choose Life "
Old 09-04-2009, 05:23 PM   #7
striperman36
Old Guy

Print it, show the truth and reality of what is going on.
Old 09-04-2009, 05:37 PM   #8
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by striperman36 View Post
I think of the video of that beautiful young woman in Iran just after she was shot protesting and her internal injury erupted blood from her mouth. Wow, very difficult to watch.

I'm not sure what the right answer on this one it. I certainly see the argument that this is public information, yet also that out of respect for the family showing the images doesn't add a lot of value.

It sounds like these images are especially troubling. I think the fair play is to delay using them until the family has time to mourn, and then only use them as appropriate if it's necessary to tell an important story.

-spence
Old 09-04-2009, 06:14 PM   #9
striperman36
Old Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
I think of the video of that beautiful young woman in Iran just after she was shot protesting and her internal injury erupted blood from her mouth. Wow, very difficult to watch.

I'm not sure what the right answer on this one it. I certainly see the argument that this is public information, yet also that out of respect for the family showing the images doesn't add a lot of value.

It sounds like these images are especially troubling. I think the fair play is to delay using them until the family has time to mourn, and then only use them as appropriate if it's necessary to tell an important story.

-spence
I respect them families honor to not publish a picture. However, just having a list in the paper of those who have made the ultimate sacrifice is not enought, IMHO.
Old 09-06-2009, 12:19 PM   #10
Fly Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by striperman36 View Post
You would not like it if a family member of yours was shown dying any more then I would in a war or an accident on a city street. You can show the truth and the reality of war just from the destruction of buildings,military vechicles, bodies covered or in a fart sack, wounded in med-i-vac unit or military hospitals being rehabilitated from a missing body part and you can see it on a soldiers or Marines face after being in battle and shell shocked civilians

Nebe
Maybe I missed it, but, your picture did not show anyone dying,but, the destructtion makes a point.
Old 09-06-2009, 12:54 PM   #11
Nebe

Look closer... There are bodies all down the sea wall
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 09-06-2009, 01:45 PM   #12
Fly Rod

They are dead, without names or close up pictures of bloating bodies. not dying and people are more compasionate today then in the 2nd world war, if not we would be killing 80,000 civilians a day, today as in the big one to end the war.

May have to take compassionate back. Forgot about the crack pots today killing family members and killings from street crimes etc: Maybe we are not that compassionate after all