Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 01-30-2011, 08:48 AM   #1
striper774

Wet on Dryer

Just got done w/epoxy.This is new to me,that is water base paint and epoxy.Used to do automotive base coatw/clear coat.I'm going to try base w/ epoxy next.Beside the fumes of base paint i'm leaning toward using it.Have a friend that runs a truck body shop.He gives me all kinds of different paint colors so that makes it cheap.I also like how quick it dries and how it sands.I'll have to spend more
time getting used to water base paints.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0854.JPG
Views:	226
Size:	191.6 KB
ID:	44193  
striper774 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 09:36 AM   #2
sorethumb

Looking good yeah I see the etex can be a bit of a PITA if the conditions are not optimal and mixed exactly correctly. I warm the bottles in warm water for a few minutes before mixing and use pre marked measuring cups to measure it.Water based paints need to be heat treated or the paint may lift some use a blow dryer to do so I just hang them by a heat source overnight so far so good.

Fish Hard,Tight Lines!!!
sorethumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 09:56 AM   #3
WoodyCT

Hit the water based paint with a hair dryer to 'set' it as soon as you finish shooting each color. Then let the plug dry in a warm dry place a day or two before clear coating.

A good idea is to apply and then spin the Etex covered plug at 90 degrees F. Guys build boxes to house their spinners with lightbulbs and even thermostats to keep the temp and humidity optimal for the Etex to level out and cure.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
WoodyCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 10:49 AM   #4
striper774

Woody,The plugs are in a rotary dryer.I have a heat lamp for now that i lifted to take the picture.I'll be building a box soon.Thanks for the reply.
striper774 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 11:29 AM   #5
Hookedagain

I posted these in another thread a while back. This is the box I built for spinning/drying plugs. It has Three clamp on lights on top, all with 100 watt bulbs that I can switch on and off individually depending on the temp I want. Plexiglass inserts in the doors for my viewing pleasure. A rotissary motor from a barbeque grill,(it turns at around 4-5 rpm.) I overkilled the size of this by a mile, it holds 36 plugs....which I'll never fill.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7924.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	141.2 KB
ID:	44196   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7925.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	44197   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7928.jpg
Views:	173