Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » StriperTalk!

StriperTalk! All things Striper

Old 10-07-2005, 11:43 AM   #1
Canalman
Calling Jon The Fisherman

This years strange Canal Occurence

It seems every year I have a strange canal experience, last year it was the squirrels swimming across the ditch. This year....

I was jigging Wednesday night the last 3 of the west. Things had been slow when I FINALLY hooked up, felt like a decent fish took a nice run etc. Anyway as the fish sounded, about half way in it began racing UP-current this is not a common occurence... at least not in my experience. Well not 2 seconds had gone by when a huge swirl erupted in the general vicinity of my fish . The swirl was larger than a car hood and then the beast rolled over. Not 100% sure but I am pretty sure it was a shark in pursuit of my bass looked to be over 6 feet long. I saw the width of the fish it was smooth and thick. My fish escaped the shark but not my hook. The fish measured 41" and was released... hopefully not too tired to escape what may have been waiting below.

Anyone else had this experience??

-Dave

Surf Asylum Lures, Custom Lures for the "Committed"
Official S-B Sponsor
Canalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 11:48 AM   #2
pogmobass
Kiss My Bass

same thing happened to me... well kinda

I hooked up with a fish that i believe was about a 21" (i think cause i got only half of it back), and a seal took a nice bite out of the rear end of it for a snack, i couldnt believe it at first, but i knew it was a seal because he kept popping his head out of the water looking for the rest of his meal...
pogmobass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 11:49 AM   #3
spence

About 6' long, smooth and thick...last seen chasing a nice striper?

Sounds like Nebe

That is wierd, makes me feel much better wading deep

-spence
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 12:00 PM   #4
Rockport24
President - S-B Chapter - Kelly Clarkson Fan Club

WOW! that is an awesome story. funny how the fish evaded the shark, even when it was hooked by you, that is one bad-ass striper.
Rockport24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 12:15 PM   #5
Clammer

I was spooled by a seal in the upper bay in early spring 30 years ago //

I was in a skiff catching schoolies /when the guy I was fishing with /started to lift his schoolie in the boat// IN the upper bay
I shark went after it & split the side of the skiff..

I was anchored up ina discharge way up in Mt hope bay // with a stringer of blues over the stern/ I was foolish then /@$%^&$%^&* Blues..
when we sa w this fin comimg up current /nice & slow but steady/=he was heading right at the Blues / as he came close I picked up the stringer & he went right by ,never missing a stroke / it was brown & big to us at the time ...

I was fishing Gooseberry [close] for Tautog & Cod ] remember when ya could catch Cod in 15' of water ... I had two gentleman from Fall River with me & at the time we were bailing them // well I,m bring ina nice fish & Jhonny is hanging over the side with the net / the Tautog gets about 3,4 feet under the boat & this big ass shark grabs the Tautog // this guy Jhonny gets down on the floor of the boat & starts all kinds of screaming & pleading & anything else he could do --- but it was in Portuguese & I have no idea what he said / but I will tell ya he never got off the floor until we were back ay Westport & he never fished with me again -I,ll bet he never fished again

ENJOY WHAT YOU HAVE !!!

MIKE
Clammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 01:28 PM   #6
eelman

Fishing with the "Clammer" was one of the most unusual things that has ever happened to me

Oh and Nebe casting 4oz darters at me in soco...That was strange
eelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 01:57 PM   #7
Clammer

EEEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLMAN & you think your a piece of cake // more like a piece of work

ENJOY WHAT YOU HAVE !!!

MIKE
Clammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 01:59 PM   #8
eelman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clammer
EEEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLMAN & you think your a piece of cake // more like a piece of work
Just joking Clam man !! Your alot of fun to fish with
eelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 02:07 PM   #9
kennebecstriper

I got back about 15" of an approx 36" striper back in 94 or 95 i was wading in CT. in 3.5 ft. of water at the time about .25 from shore. I darn near pulled a Jesus getting back in....the next day someone fishing for blues in the weedline of the changing tide landed a 150#mako that was strange!!
kennebecstriper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 02:46 PM   #10
JoeP

Quote:
Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&

Oh and Nebe casting 4oz darters at me in soco...That was strange
He casts darters at you too? Now I'm getting the picture...
JoeP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 02:57 PM   #11
Rappin Mikey
My brother is bald

I swear to God I saw a mermaid once. It was just my brother. He has man boobs ya know. Sorry guys no sleep last night for two dinky fish at WH

seals + plovers =
Rappin Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 03:31 PM   #12
chief10
Gone Dark

strangest thing I saw on the canal this year. friend of mine and I were on our bikes heading past the sagamore bridge and we saw an guy on his knees praying over his cut bait foreigner believe it or not.
chief10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 04:06 PM   #13
Nebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP
He casts darters at you too? Now I'm getting the picture...
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 09:50 PM   #14
RickBomba

I saw Mikey steal my fish once (fishing at Bassless Hole, 34" at the time was pretty big), and walk up and down the beach with it posing for pictures!!!
Another time on a charter, he asked me to hold his rod while he relieved himself (relax, we're brothers from Western Mass!!!), and I hooked up...he grabbed the rod from me two minutes later, and proceeded to reel in a 25#'er like three feet and proclaim it was his.
Another time, we went out...#^&#^&#^&#^& Bomba, Rappin Mikey and me back in the old days before you could buy beer in MA on Sundays...with the ten beers I had in my house for a day on the water. I told them both, "Look guys, I don't care how much you drink, cause I'm driving the boat and the car, just please save me a beer for when I eat my sandwich for lunch."
About nine in the morning, the two of them look at me and say, "Hey Rick, you want to start eating now, we saved you half of the last beer."
Man boobs me arse!
Rick

John Redmond Thinks He's Smart By Changing My Avatar
RickBomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 10:46 PM   #15
fishaholic18
Finally

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canalman
Well not 2 seconds had gone by when a huge swirl erupted in the general vicinity of my fish . The swirl was larger than a car hood and then the beast rolled over. Not 100% sure but I am pretty sure it was a shark in pursuit of my bass looked to be over 6 feet long. I saw the width of the fish it was smooth and thick. My fish escaped the shark but not my hook

-Dave
If I didn't know him so well, I'd say he was smokin' crack...
But I know he doesn't, so it's TRUE.
I'm suprised the sick basturd didn't jump in after it.
Normally he would....

F-18®
It IsWhat It Is

¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º >¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((( º>
fishaholic18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 04:22 PM   #16
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Squirrels sweimming across the ditch?

Did the squirrel have PFD on? You must have thought you were on candid camera.

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 05:28 PM   #17
Canalman
Calling Jon The Fisherman

Dave, if you were there to rescue me I would've

Swimmer - I saw squirrels swimming the canal on 3 separate occaisions

Surf Asylum Lures, Custom Lures for the "Committed"
Official S-B Sponsor
Canalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 10:42 PM   #18
Bass Babe
Registered LUser

I remember seeing lots of bats every nite at an undisclosed canal location. But they're not here this year, haven't even seen one. I miss my batty friends. Anyone else notice their batbuds are missing?

The worst day fishing is better than the best day working. ...Wait a minute, my work IS fishing. Sweet.
Bass Babe is offline   Reply With Quote