Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 02-25-2018, 10:42 PM   #1
zimmy

That was your point? I like that you said appease the nation. Republicans stopped everything in its tracks even if it was overwhelmingly supported by the nation. Why? They are afraid of the NimRod Association. Pretty sure if the Dems controlled the congress in 2013, Obama would have gotten most of what he called for. Trump has mentioned background checks, age limits for "assault rifles", arming teachers. He will get dem support on two out of three, though dems want no more AR's sold. Guessing once La Pierre gets a hold of Trump, he will get nothing done and you will be right. I will certainly criticize him if that happens.

No, no, no. we’re 30… 30, three zero.
Old 02-26-2018, 06:57 AM   #2
Sea Dangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimmy View Post
That was your point? I like that you said appease the nation. Republicans stopped everything in its tracks even if it was overwhelmingly supported by the nation. Why? They are afraid of the NimRod Association. Pretty sure if the Dems controlled the congress in 2013, Obama would have gotten most of what he called for. Trump has mentioned background checks, age limits for "assault rifles", arming teachers. He will get dem support on two out of three, though dems want no more AR's sold. Guessing once La Pierre gets a hold of Trump, he will get nothing done and you will be right. I will certainly criticize him if that happens.
Bold statement Zimmy. You really go out on a limb with your revisionist history. Too bad the dems didn't control congress. Those pesky checks and balances in our constitution reared their ugly head again.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 02-26-2018, 09:38 AM   #3
zimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dangles View Post
Bold statement Zimmy. You really go out on a limb with your revisionist history. Too bad the dems didn't control congress. Those pesky checks and balances in our constitution reared their ugly head again.
Oh, the dems controlled congress in 2013? If that is the case, I am confused about history.

Old 02-26-2018, 09:46 AM   #4
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Oh, the dems controlled congress in 2013? If that is the case, I am confused about history.
Are you talking Senate or House of Representatives?

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 02-26-2018, 09:59 AM   #5
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dangles View Post
They did control congress (both houses), for Obama's first two years. For a good chunk of that time they had a filibuster-proof majority in the Senate. I don't think the GOP could have stopped them from doing a thing. Yet they didn't.

Lots of blame here, both parties, the NRA, law enforcement, lots of blame...
Old 02-26-2018, 10:08 AM   #6
zimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
They did control congress (both houses), for Obama's first two years. For a good chunk of that time they had a filibuster-proof majority in the Senate. I don't think the GOP could have stopped them from doing a thing. Yet they didn't.

Lots of blame here, both parties, the NRA, law enforcement, lots of blame...
Obama effectively had 72 days of filibuster-proof majority- from September 24. 2009 to February 4, 2010. That is also an aside given that my statement was about 2013, when congress voted down every Obama and democrat backed measure.

Old 02-26-2018, 10:30 AM   #7
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Obama effectively had 72 days of filibuster-proof majority- from September 24. 2009 to February 4, 2010. That is also an aside given that my statement was about 2013, when congress voted down every Obama and democrat backed measure.
Looks like 8 years of "Blue" Senate to me. Maybe not FB proof, but dem controlled.

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 02-26-2018, 10:57 AM   #8
zimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
Looks like 8 years of "Blue" Senate to me. Maybe not FB proof, but dem controlled.
[/IMG]
Yes, congress is what I said. And he didn't have a filibuster proof majority in the senate for but 72 days. That is how Republicans were able to block his agenda after Sandy Hook. He also only had any majority in the senate for 7 years, not 8.

Old 02-26-2018, 10:51 AM   #9
Jim in CT

Quote:
And for the entire first 2 years, the Democrats controlled both houses. They got a lot of big stuff done, like the stimulus. The could have done something with guns, right? They chose not to.

I hear you about 2013. But for 08-09 he had both houses. He did zip on guns and immigration.
Old 02-26-2018, 11:02 AM   #10
zimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
And for the entire first 2 years, the Democrats controlled both houses. They got a lot of big stuff done, like the stimulus. The could have done something with guns, right? They chose not to.

I hear you about 2013. But for 08-09 he had both houses. He did zip on guns and immigration.
House passed stimulus in January 2009 with no Republican votes. Senate passed it with 61 votes (3 republicans). Signed into law in February 2009. You are right though, he did get big things done during those few days when they had control. Don't think he could have tied gun legislation into the stimulus though...

Old 02-26-2018, 11:08 AM   #11
Jim in CT

Quote:
House passed stimulus in January 2009 with no Republican votes. Senate passed it with 61 votes (3 republicans). Signed into law in February 2009. You are right though, he did get big things done during those few days when they had control. Don't think he could have tied gun legislation into the stimulus though...
Not sure why gun control would had to have been tied to the stimulus. No rule saying they couldn't pass more than one bill during that time. You cannot say that the GOP kept him from passing gun reform during his presidency. Not during the early days. Let's be honest.