Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 11-02-2008, 01:36 PM   #1
Bronko

Is Obama truly an idiot?

Or just another snake in the grass politician? Seriously, take a look. First there was reverend Wright and his racist insane ramblings of which Obama listened to and subscribed to for 20 years. I mean this guy was a family friend, married he and his wife and baptised his kids etc. He then tries to claim he never heard any of the much publicized audio clips we all heard, attempts to play 'mickey the dunce' until the heat was too much, he then denounces some of the good reverends preaching as hateful and devisive. If he sat for 20 years in this church and never heard the hate or vitriol, is he going to 'get it' when sitting down with insane world leaders like Chavez etc?

Then there was the association with William Ayers that everybody is aware of (besides Obama). For a while Obama was saying he had never met/associated with Ayers, then as details surface about a closer relationship and that Obama announced his intent to run for the Senate at Ayers house... he began to 'remember' that they ran in the same politcal circles in Chicago.

Now we have his aunt. The great inspirational Onyango, who Obama wrote about in his book. This great woman who he admired so much for her caring and her strength, whom he learned so many life lessons. A woman who was at his 2005 swearing in in Chicago and has (illegally) donated $260 to his campaign. We now come to find out she is living in the projects in Southie more or less for free and she is an illegal alien who was ordered (and refused) to leave the country by an immigration judge. And he didn't know?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27481680/

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1108/15161.html

I mean did he really not know? Do any of you not know that your favorite aunt is an illegal alien? Even if he didn't know, shouldn't have he known???

The guy just seems like a dope. Even if he is being honest, then his lack of general awareness and common sense is astounding.

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope. ~John Buchan
Old 11-02-2008, 06:47 PM   #2
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronko View Post
Or just another snake in the grass politician? Seriously, take a look. First there was reverend Wright and his racist insane ramblings of which Obama listened to and subscribed to for 20 years. I mean this guy was a family friend, married he and his wife and baptised his kids etc. He then tries to claim he never heard any of the much publicized audio clips we all heard, attempts to play 'mickey the dunce' until the heat was too much, he then denounces some of the good reverends preaching as hateful and devisive. If he sat for 20 years in this church and never heard the hate or vitriol, is he going to 'get it' when sitting down with insane world leaders like Chavez etc?

Then there was the association with William Ayers that everybody is aware of (besides Obama). For a while Obama was saying he had never met/associated with Ayers, then as details surface about a closer relationship and that Obama announced his intent to run for the Senate at Ayers house... he began to 'remember' that they ran in the same politcal circles in Chicago.

Now we have his aunt. The great inspirational Onyango, who Obama wrote about in his book. This great woman who he admired so much for her caring and her strength, whom he learned so many life lessons. A woman who was at his 2005 swearing in in Chicago and has (illegally) donated $260 to his campaign. We now come to find out she is living in the projects in Southie more or less for free and she is an illegal alien who was ordered (and refused) to leave the country by an immigration judge. And he didn't know?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27481680/

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1108/15161.html

I mean did he really not know? Do any of you not know that your favorite aunt is an illegal alien? Even if he didn't know, shouldn't have he known???

The guy just seems like a dope. Even if he is being honest, then his lack of general awareness and common sense is astounding.
Beyond believe. The plot thickens.

" Choose Life "
Old 11-02-2008, 06:52 PM   #3
Nebe

if you lived with your dad until you were 2 and then spent one month of your life with him when you were a teen, would you be expected to keep tabs on everyone on that side of the family?

I wouldnt.

perhaps we can discuss how Mccain cheated on his wife?
Old 11-02-2008, 06:57 PM   #4
striperman36
Old Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post

Which one?
Old 11-02-2008, 07:16 PM   #5
Nebe

first one. He cheated on her with the beer barron then kicked her to the curb.

heres a link

http://www.factcheck.org/askfactchec...his_first.html
Old 11-02-2008, 07:56 PM   #6
spence

My honest assessment of the issues you mentioned.

1) The aunt - it's quite reasonable to believe he didn't know her status wasn't legal. I'm basing this on the notion that had she asked him to help her, he was in a position to get it done, and that if she didn't want to ask for help it's probably the last thing she would have ever told him. Sure it's possible he knew, but without any proof I don't think you have anything to base this on.

2) Ayers - sure he downplayed his association which seems the obvious move. I've read a ton into this issue and by my reconing it's a BS argument. He only had association with Ayers when he was a somewhat mainstream member of the Chicago community. They lectured at the same school and republican associates who were there at the time say they don't believe Obama was ever influenced by the man. The board they shared was founded by a former Reagan associate and included bi-partisan members.

This is one hardcore strawman BS nothing to see issue.

3) Wright - I've blabbed on a length about this issue so I won't bother to repeat myself, aside from noting that I think it's the most substantial issue of the bunch. That being said, I don't think it's a showstopper considering the context (i.e. read old threads).

I do think this issue is difficult for a lot of regular white people to understand. Black guy trying to find himself, working on the south side of Chicago, big black church where all the power is...you do the math.

-spence
Old 11-02-2008, 08:54 PM   #7
Nebe

Its all moot spence. 11 point spread... huge electoral advantage..

Its over.
Old 11-02-2008, 09:06 PM   #8
Bronko

Quote:
if you lived with your dad until you were 2 and then spent one month of your life with him when you were a teen, would you be expected to keep tabs on everyone on that side of the family?

I wouldnt.

Might be the lamest responsive to a political thread in the histoy of this forum, congrats.

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope. ~John Buchan
Old 11-02-2008, 09:14 PM   #9
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
You guys must all live in glass houses??

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
Old 11-02-2008, 09:16 PM   #10
Bronko

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
My honest assessment of the issues you mentioned.

1) The aunt - it's quite reasonable to believe he didn't know her status wasn't legal. I'm basing this on the notion that had she asked him to help her, he was in a position to get it done, and that if she didn't want to ask for help it's probably the last thing she would have ever told him. Sure it's possible he knew, but without any proof I don't think you have anything to base this on.

2) Ayers - sure he downplayed his association which seems the obvious move. I've read a ton into this issue and by my reconing it's a BS argument. He only had association with Ayers when he was a somewhat mainstream member of the Chicago community. They lectured at the same school and republican associates who were there at the time say they don't believe Obama was ever influenced by the man. The board they shared was founded by a former Reagan associate and included bi-partisan members.

This is one hardcore strawman BS nothing to see issue.

3) Wright - I've blabbed on a length about this issue so I won't bother to repeat myself, aside from noting that I think it's the most substantial issue of the bunch. That being said, I don't think it's a showstopper considering the context (i.e. read old threads).

I do think this issue is difficult for a lot of regular white people to understand. Black guy trying to find himself, working on the south side of Chicago, big black church where all the power is...you do the math.

-spence
Yea, yea, I hear the standard party brush off answers. I have no problem with your attempts to rationalize his behavior, you have to, you are voting for him. But I can get these canned responses from my sister in-law. I want to know what YOU think, you enjoy the political banter in this forum. Forget about the results, its pretty clear Obama/Nebe will will. I want to know if deep down you believe this guy when he looks into the camera and talks to you. Any trepidations? Any fears?

Old 11-02-2008, 09:19 PM   #11
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Quote:
Yea, yea, I hear the standard party brush off answers. I have no problem with your attempts to rationalize his behavior, you have to, you are voting for him. But I can get these canned responses from my sister in-law. I want to know what YOU think, you enjoy the political banter in this forum. Forget about the results, its pretty clear Obama/Nebe will will. I want to know if deep down you believe this guy when he looks into the camera and talks to you. Any trepidations? Any fears?
Here is what I think! I think they both suck so name your poison........cause one way or the other.......we are all gonna be bending over!

Old 11-02-2008, 09:37 PM   #12
Nebe

Quote:
Might be the lamest responsive to a political thread in the histoy of this forum, congrats.
how so? Seems like perfect logic to me
Old 11-02-2008, 09:39 PM   #13
Nebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFish View Post
Here is what I think! I think they both suck so name your poison........cause one way or the other.......we are all gonna be bending over!
How is Obama going to give it to you? Id like to hear your logic Bigfish
Old 11-02-2008, 09:45 PM   #14
Bronko

Quote:
how so? Seems like perfect logic to me
A tad mean spirited on my part. Aplologies.

Old 11-02-2008, 09:49 PM   #15
Nebe

Quote:
A tad mean spirited on my part. Aplologies.
its OK. I know how it feels to be on the loosing team
Old 11-02-2008, 11:09 PM   #16
Duke41
got gas?

I take either of these guys over Bush. In fact I'll take Ceasar Chavez from Venezuala over him.
Old 11-02-2008, 11:29 PM   #17
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

McCain cheating is a problem with you but Obama has the King adulterer Clinton speaking on his behalf tonight and you have no problem with that??? Clinton: "I did not have sexual relations with that woman......oh no, wait a minute......maybe I did"???!!!!

Old 11-03-2008, 05:33 AM   #18
spence

Quote:
I'm insulted to think you're accusing me of simply spitting up talking points.

Obama doesn't scare me, he may in fact be pretty good assuming he governs from the middle and isn't strong armed by Congress. I've said before that the Dem super majority is my best and about only compelling reason to vote for McCain right now.

-spence
Old 11-03-2008, 07:12 AM   #19
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Send a message via AIM to likwid
Quote:
McCain cheating is a problem with you but Obama has the King adulterer Clinton speaking on his behalf tonight and you have no problem with that???
No because its Clinton, not Obama.
Lets keep with reality here shall we?

Ski Quicks Hole
Old 11-03-2008, 08:24 AM   #20
Bronko

Quote:
I'm insulted to think you're accusing me of simply spitting up talking points.

Obama doesn't scare me, he may in fact be pretty good assuming he governs from the middle and isn't strong armed by Congress. I've said before that the Dem super majority is my best and about only compelling reason to vote for McCain right now.

-spence
I think its obvious he'll get his lunch money stolen on a daily basis by the "super majority." Its going to be a real wake-up call for him when the rump swabs start knocking on his door for their favors. He does not liked to be called out or disagreed with. Hell he tossed reporters off his plane that didn't endorse him ala George W. Bush style.

By the way... Salty, these numbers getting close enough for you???

From a 10/31 WSJ article:

Today, Obama Campaign Surrogate Gov. Bill Richardson (D-NM) Further Lowered The Ceiling For Tax Cuts Under An Obama Administration To $120,000:
Gov. Bill Richardson: "What Obama wants to do is, he is basically looking at $120,000 and under, among those that are in the middle class, and there is a tax cut for those." (KOA-AM, Interview With Gov. Bill Richardson, 10/31/08)

Just A Few Days Ago, Biden Lowered The Ceiling For Tax Cuts To $150,000, Confirming What Obama Let Slip Earlier In The Campaign -- That Americans Would See Higher Taxes Starting At $150,000:

Old 11-03-2008, 08:31 AM   #21
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Clinton: "I did not have sexual relations with that woman......oh no, wait a minute......maybe I did"???!!!!

Eatin' ain't Cheatin' (This is where my wife smacks me upside the head)

I said it about Clinton and I'll say it about McCain....Ain't Nobody's business But his, his wife, and the woman he was fooling around with. Don't Care. Doesn't Matter.

and as far as Obama's Aunt...you can't pick your family. I know that both me and my wife have some real doozies in our family trees. You could pick a side and start a reality TV show.

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 11-03-2008, 08:43 AM   #22
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Exactly.

I have two aunts on a side of my family that I wouldn't know if they were selling crack or running for congress.

And no republican president ever got his pole washed? Clinton got caught.
thats the only difference!

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 11-03-2008, 08:49 AM   #23
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Like a ball player....I only care what he does between the lines/on the ice/ on the court or on the field! Thats the reality!

Old 11-03-2008, 08:58 AM   #24
Joe

In past elections, the Carl Rove Playbook and the politics of personal destruction worked very well.
However, you can't run the same strategy again and again and expect the competition not to find holes in it. That's what has happened here: the same old dirty politics has been dusted off and sent out, only this time it does not resonate with the electorate. Obama may have been beatable, but not by negative association.

Old 11-03-2008, 09:25 AM   #25
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

Quote:

-spence
Establishing relationships with organizations for political purposes is as old as politics. Starting with Freemasons in the 19th century and moving on from there.

Hell, I'm a lawyer. I've never run for office, but political affiliation can be a factor in your success. When I lived in Nassau County, NY, which was run by the Margiaotta/Mondello GOP machine, I was a Republican. If you ever wanted to work in the public sector, or do business with the county, you had to be a registered Republican. Did that mean I voted the straight ticket in every election from president on down? Hell no. But if someone was to check, they could find out, especially if I was now running for something as a Democrat. Oh and as soon as I registered in Mass, that registration switched over to a D.

There was a time when if you wanted to run for political office in the South, you had to belong to the Klan. I don't hold it against Robert Byrd that he was in the Klan--I hold use of the "N-word" against him within the last few years as evidence that he still is a bigot.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
Old 11-04-2008, 02:16 PM   #26
Bocephus

For those saying that associations dont mean anything, think about this....if McCain sat in a white supremacist church for 20 yrs, do you think it would be overblown by the media??Most certainly It would have been plastered all over every newspaper and he would be run out of town on a rail and rightly so. But because Obama is who he is, its all chalked up to "Well, he was just trying to fit in." When he is president, who will he cozy up to? Because he really just wants to fit in?
Old 11-04-2008, 03:27 PM   #27
slapshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanalMike View Post
For those saying that associations dont mean anything, think about this....if McCain sat in a white supremacist church for 20 yrs, do you think it would be overblown by the media??Most certainly It would have been plastered all over every newspaper and he would be run out of town on a rail and rightly so. But because Obama is who he is, its all chalked up to "Well, he was just trying to fit in." When he is president, who will he cozy up to? Because he really just wants to fit in?
Achmedajihad, Chavez, Hazbola, towelbahn, etc.

bluefish Jihadist
Old 11-04-2008, 03:38 PM   #28
fishbones

What the heck is Hazbola and towelbahn?

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
Old 11-04-2008, 04:45 PM   #29
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

towelbahn woud be the Rhode Island-ese pronunciation for the discount bath store Towel Barn

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 11-04-2008, 04:52 PM   #30
Joe

I did not say that associations did not matter - I said that it was a tired strategy and the wrong strategy to beat Obama.