Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » Kayaking

Kayaking After the frequent attempts at Bribery, beatings, and simply getting towed at Sunrise - S-B opens the Kayak Forums Also see http://www.ultimatekayakfishing.com

Old 11-30-2010, 11:31 AM   #1
Pauleye

Kayak Shopping

I will start to look for a pair of yak-like devices for me and my 11 yo son. They will be mostly used in freshwater lakes and ponds but also the occasional salty trip.

SOT were the rage a few years ago. I am thinking of Wilderness Systems Tarpon or Cobra Navigator. Hobie is out of the question because of both cost and weight. I have a herniated disk.

Here's the questions: Are SOTs still popular and in may cases preferred over SInKs? If I go with a SOT, what do you wear in the spring and fall to stay dry and warm?
Pauleye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 11:36 AM   #2
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

The SOTS are preffered because of the easy on/off when dealing w/ the surf conditions. If you are just doing fresh and back bays/estuaries a sit in would probably be fine.

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 12:14 PM   #3
fishbones

I have a SOT and in the colder weather, I wear dry pants and a dry top over lined running pants and a sweatshirt. No problems yet, but I haven't tipped it either. I was planning on picking up a wetsuit this winter for spring yak fishing but haven't really looked into it yet.

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
fishbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 01:12 PM   #4
blondterror

If you want a sit in kayak... the Wilderness Systems Pungo 12 and 14 models are great... I have 2 Pungos up at Lake Sunapee and they track well, are very stable, and are easy to get in and out. Plus... since the Pungo has been out and is a very popular yak... it is relatively easy to find used ones in great condition.

For surf fishing in the salt I use my Hobie Revolution but I ised my Pungo 12 in the surf for 4 yrs before I bought the Hobie and the Pungo did very well.

Blond Terror
blondterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 08:43 AM   #5
Pauleye

Anyone use a Malibu kayak?
Pauleye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 01:01 PM   #6
Rockport24
President - S-B Chapter - Kelly Clarkson Fan Club

Malibu's are good too and should treat you well, they seem pretty bulkey to me, just looking at them, but I've never paddled one. They seem to be a respected brand though.

Also, just to make a point here. Even if you are using a sit-in you should use dry gear (dry pants and a dry top or the wader-dry top combo) when the water temps are cold, because if you go in the drink without dry gear, you will be in a world of trouble if you don't get out in like 30 seconds and it is much harder to get back into a sit-in if you dump out of it.
Rockport24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 09:00 PM   #7
jredfly
Bait Boy's Dad

I kayak and fish with my kids. I own 2 SOTs - one tandem Ocean Kayak (OK) Malibu (model from OK not the brand Malibu) and one OK Scrambler (single). We like them a lot and I feel safe in them but they are a bit on the heavy side. I was checking out the Malibu that you are interested in and they look really nice and they have recieved good reviews. I talked to some dealers on them and if they have any left-overs they were willing to deal. I got pretty good deals on mine on craigslist so keep your eyes open. Try and get some extras such as a paddle, pfd and seat thrown in. It all adds up. Good Luck!!!

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it - Irish Blessing
jredfly is offline   Reply With Quote