Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 06-12-2020, 07:34 AM   #61
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post

A systemic review of some police organizations starting with Minneapolis, Buffalo, NYC etc. would be well within it's purview.
But Barr refuses to do that.
One would think that he would apply the same diligence and enthusiasm to investigating law enforcement organizations at the state level as he has at the Federal level, it is a core responsibility of the organization he leads.
one would think the woke democrat mayors of those cities who oversee the police departments in those that you mentioned and the other woke leftist cities would have done so....isn't it their responsibility, if this is a major problem in their cities...??? aren't they listening to their constituents, the people that elected them? What is stopping them??
Old 06-12-2020, 07:46 AM   #62
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
We can do both
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
But we don’t

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 06-12-2020, 08:14 AM   #63
Jim in CT

Quote:
We can do both
Honest to God, I wonder if I will live long enough to once hear a liberal say, "man did my side blow that, we were so stupid."

We can do both, but we don't. We ignore the obvious, more serious problem...and we focus on the smaller problem, and worse, we do it in a way that makes us hate each other. We create all this division, over something that's not even a rounding error.

Why would we do that? Why would the people who run one party, create all this division, over something so rare? To help win elections.

And every time we go down this road, innocent cops get murdered. We know that will be a consequence. But still, the liberals parade out Al Sharpton when this happens. The people pulling the strings know what's going to ensue, there will be tremendous cost and almost no benefit to black lives. But they do it to get the mob good and worked up.
Old 06-12-2020, 08:19 AM   #64
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
But we don’t
It's not just that, the entire left pretends that the real problem or urban violence doesn't exist (because the left helped create it, and therefore discussing it doesn't help them win elections), so they need something else to focus attention on, and they fanatically fixate on the very rare issue. It's mind boggling.

I've asked WDMSO twice, and he's hiding under his bed, because he knows there's no reasonable answer.

If you say that black lives matter, but you know the name George Floyd and don't care to know the names of the black cops murdered, or the names of anyone murdered in Chicago, then black lives don't matter, certain black lives matter. The ones that benefit you politically.

That's all this is.
Old 06-12-2020, 08:25 AM   #65
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
But we don’t
they won't

Buffalo's Mayor has been in office since 2006
NYC 2014 before him Bloomberg 2002
you can read the list of Minneapolis and Seattle Mayors
Chicago has had democrat mayors since 1931

these are the people responsible for appointing police commissioners and overseeing the police department who are now acting like they have nothing to do with anything.....and encouraging the mob
Old 06-12-2020, 08:28 AM   #66
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post

Why would the people who run one party, create all this division, over something so rare? To help win elections.
Pelosi has been in Washington since 1987 and she just discovered there are Confederate statues that need to be removed
Old 06-12-2020, 08:48 AM   #67
scottw

Quote:

But they do it to get the mob good and worked up.
I encourage these mobs to relocate their newly formed countries to the property immediately surrounding their respective mayor's homes...be sure to bring lots of spray paint and Molotov cocktails and firepower....maybe some popcorn and movies too.....I would encourage them to take whatever they need in their show of "patriotism"....I hope we get to see the reactions of these mayors when it's their neighborhood and home that is under siege
Old 06-12-2020, 08:52 AM   #68
scottw

Quote:
At least we agree they aren’t taking anyone’s right away, or at least that there isn’t evidence of it
just a matter of time....

On Wednesday, the Seattle Police Department said it would try to reopen the East Precinct, and Best was able to visit the location on Thursday. “Our calls for service have more than tripled,” she told reporters. “These are responses to emergency calls — rapes, robberies, and all sorts of violent acts that have been occurring in the area that we’re not able to get to.”

I guess CHAZ Fire and Rescue and CHAZ PD will respond to these calls for help
Old 06-12-2020, 09:26 AM   #69
Jim in CT

Interesting that when CHAZ was founded, the first thing the lefties did was put up a wall, and then have people with AR-15s man that wall. Almost ironic and hypocritical, in a way.
Old 06-12-2020, 10:50 AM   #70
spence

Quote:
Interesting that when CHAZ was founded, the first thing the lefties did was put up a wall, and then have people with AR-15s man that wall. Almost ironic and hypocritical, in a way.
They didn't put up a wall, they just moved some barricades to block cars after a white nationalist drove into the crowd and shot a protester. I think I've read one or two people with guns have been reported. The police have walked back the reports of extortion which were just rumors.

It seems like this is more of a block party sit in that anything else
Old 06-12-2020, 11:05 AM   #71
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
They didn't put up a wall, they just moved some barricades to block cars after a white nationalist drove into the crowd and shot a protester. I think I've read one or two people with guns have been reported. The police have walked back the reports of extortion which were just rumors.

Fox is pushing the Wall part,, so are their minions
Old 06-12-2020, 11:10 AM   #72
wdmso

Quote:
amount of trouble when those conservatives showed up
with guns? zero, as usual.

pissed off liberals with guns = dead cops.

there’s the difference.

now, i asked you if you thought that cops were anywhere near as big a threat to blacks, as other blacks in the cities?

Jim here we go again comparing the 2 as if they are the same .. the only thing these 2 things have in common its be going on for decades

how about answering the damn question?
Jim we are talking about cops killing unarmed civilians many who are Black .. but you want to compare drug dealer A killing Drug dealer B cant ask for a bigger attempt to avoid the topic at hand ...
Old 06-12-2020, 11:20 AM   #73
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
Jim we are talking about cops killing unarmed civilians many who are Black .. but you want to compare drug dealer A killing Drug dealer B cant ask for a bigger attempt to avoid the topic at hand ...
Jim doesn't realize that the issue is much deeper than just cops using excessive force on black people.
Old 06-12-2020, 11:29 AM   #74
Jim in CT

Quote:
Except guys carrying AR-15s. And graffiti.

Yu ant to embrace that side, you want to embrace the ideal of Zonker Harris at Wesleyan, knock yourself out.
Old 06-12-2020, 11:31 AM   #75
Jim in CT

Quote:
Jim doesn't realize that the issue is much deeper than just cops using excessive force on black people.
I realize everything you realize, and many things you don't.

To improve black lives the most, you address the things that negatively impact those lives the most. Cops aint close to being #1 on the list, not even close.

Fatherlessness, welfare addiction, crappy public schools. All are things that destroy the quality of black lives, all are issues that liberalism has made worse.
Old 06-12-2020, 11:33 AM   #76
Jim in CT

Quote:
I am talking about black lives. Which has a greater negative impact on all black lives? Cops, or urban violence? I presume there is a reason you are doing everything you can, to avoid answering that.
Old 06-12-2020, 11:39 AM   #77
Jim in CT

Quote:
I'm the only one talking about things other than cops using excessive force. Takes some serious liberal logic to conclude that the only person mentioning the deeper issues, is the one with no grasp of those issues. I suppose the ones who deny the bigger issues, are the ones with the best grasp of those deeper issues?

I have an idea. Let's take a huge group of people. Let's annihilate the notion of the nuclear family, do everything we can to promote fatherlessness within that community. Let's make many of them addicted to welfare, rob them of the natural human instinct to get ahead. Let's tell them religion is useless. Let's refuse to let them choose to send their kids to better schools (interesting, since liberals like to pat themselves on the back as being pro choice). And when that all inevitably results in huge ghettos full of those people, let's tell the world that white cops are to blame for it all.

That's what democrats have done for blacks. Make that wrong.

Oh, and let's put an abortion clinic on every corner, so that their numbers don't get too crazy.

That's what your side has done. The late, great, liberal Daniel Partick Moynihan saw it coming in the late 60s or early 70s. He was dead on.
Old 06-12-2020, 11:58 AM   #78
Jim in CT

Quote:

What about the people who live and work there, who don't want to be swallowed up by a days-long block party? Do they matter at all to a fine, upstanding Bolshevik like yourself?
Old 06-12-2020, 12:27 PM   #79
scottw

Quote:
What about the people who live and work there, who don't want to be swallowed up by a days-long block party? Do they matter at all to a fine, upstanding Bolshevik like yourself?
sounds like everybody hates everybody over in that forward thinking progressive bastion ....I thought they had all of this stuff worked out???

Old 06-12-2020, 12:34 PM   #80
Pete F.
Canceled

Someone is

You would think that the population of blacks in the Republican States would be doing much better than their cohorts in the Democratic States.

They are not.

But..But..But.......

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 06-12-2020, 12:55 PM   #81
detbuch

If the Seattle "block club" is pushing for a community to be fully responsible for policing itself, for its citizens having the unabridged right and duty to arm themselves, to protect their neighborhoods and personal homes and families, to decide how and what their children are taught without interference or "help" from the federal government, to decide what "services" they require in common from their community and pay for it themselves, to have the freedom to buy and sell whatever their community desires, to be free from onerous taxation by the federal government, and free from that government's regulations on what and how they can do to run their own lives, and to remain in the union of sovereign states under the supreme law of the Constitution under its original meaning in order to protect their desired autonomy--for starters--I might like what they're doing, depending on the rest of their story.

But if it's more of the same old kind of nonsense, special rights for special people, set asides, entitlements, perpetual welfare, dependence on government, and the government enforced modeling of humanity--hell no.
Old 06-12-2020, 12:59 PM   #82
Jim in CT

Quote:
Someone is

Please tell me what I said, specifically, that was wrong.

Tell me which of these is wrong, and why...

Liberals attack the notion of the traditional nuclear family
Liberals embrace the idea that sex is casual
liberals do not emphasize the downside of fatherlessness
liberals are less enthusiastic about religion
liberals tend to think the best way to fight poverty, is to give people cash
liberals oppose school choice
Old 06-12-2020, 01:37 PM   #83
scottw

I hope they decide to expand their borders to all of Seattle...

hey, can these people still vote now that they've decided they are no longer part of the united states?
Old 06-12-2020, 02:07 PM   #84
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Quote:
What could be done about police violence, real or imagined?
First of all we could track what is happening, we don't.
Police Departments are being accused of violating citizens Constitutional rights.
Well, sunshine, we DO track that. We do, in fact, track race in car stops, arrests, and other situations and reports are generated automatically at the local level for and by requirements of individual states. I am familiar with RI's and know other states have it as well. This system has been implemented for more than a few years. I cannot go into more detail than that.

Quote:

: "I think I've read"

"white nationalist drove into the crowd and shot a protester." Link?

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 06-12-2020, 02:11 PM   #85
Pete F.
Canceled

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Lets Go Darwin
Old 06-12-2020, 02:25 PM   #86
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
What could be done about police violence, real or imagined?
First of all we could track what is happening, we don't.
Police Departments are being accused of violating citizens Constitutional rights.

The Federal Government actually has an entity created to make sure that the Constitution is followed.
It was created after the Civil War to ensure that the 14th, 15th and 16th amendments were followed.
No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.
It's called the Department of Justice.
It doesn't have jurisdiction over looting, vandalism, and even assault as they are all state crimes and may have some jurisdiction over rioting in some cases.
But it does have the power to examine pattern and practice in law enforcement organizations.
A systemic review of some police organizations starting with Minneapolis, Buffalo, NYC etc. would be well within it's purview.
But Barr refuses to do that.
One would think that he would apply the same diligence and enthusiasm to investigating law enforcement organizations at the state level as he has at the Federal level, it is a core responsibility of the organization he leads.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
Well, sunshine, we DO track that. We do, in fact, track race in car stops, arrests, and other situations and reports are generated automatically at the local level for and by requirements of individual states. I am familiar with RI's and know other states have it as well. This system has been implemented for more than a few years. I cannot go into more detail than that.
But "we" as citizens cannot see that data

And that's exactly why the DOJ is the agency that should investigate.
The records are not public or accessible to investigators outside of police agencies and as has been demonstrated repeatedly police do not like to be investigated by anyone, internally or externally.
So things happen, nobody talks and life goes on.

Lets Go Darwin
Old 06-12-2020, 02:42 PM   #87
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Quote:
But "we" as citizens cannot see that data

And that's exactly why the DOJ is the agency that should investigate.
The records are not public or accessible to investigators outside of police agencies and as has been demonstrated repeatedly police do not like to be investigated by anyone, internally or externally.
So things happen, nobody talks and life goes on.
The only reason you want DOJ to investigate is to castigate the DOJ.

"We" as citizens, have proven unable to properly handle that data.

"We" as citizens, should be able to have a detailed dissection of the data and drill down and have comprehensive discussions BUT WE DON'T.

"We" as citizens, like Mom's Demand Action and Everytown, do not look at already PUBLICLY available data on firearm deaths for rifles (average less than 350 per year) and determine that this MASSIVE Gun Grab that divides this country is but for a tiny sliver (less than 0.1%).

So, yeh, maybe it is best NOT to have the data publicly available.

But if you wanted, you could go to your state and ask THEM for the data, or have the local paper do it.

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 06-12-2020, 02:53 PM   #88
scottw

this is pretty fabulous....

Mayor Thomas D'Alesandro, Jr., then mayor of Baltimore, and father of House Minority leader Nancy Pelosi said at the dedication, accepting the statue as the official representative of Baltimore:

"We can look for inspiration to the lives of Lee and Jackson to remind us to be resolute and determined in preserving our sacred institutions.

In these days of uncertainty and turmoil, Americans must emulate Jackson's example and stand like a stone wall against aggression in any form that would seek to destroy the liberty of the world."

there is a statue of Mayor Thomas D'Alesandro, Jr...I think a decapitation is in order...
Old 06-12-2020, 05:19 PM   #89
wdmso

Quote:
I am talking about black lives. Which has a greater negative impact on all black lives? Cops, or urban violence? I presume there is a reason you are doing everything you can, to avoid answering that.
Jim they are 2 different conversations and 2 diffterent reasons they exist .. no one has suggest black on black violence isn't an issue
Blacks would agree with you .. and i do as well. but black on black violence has many factors . Where police killing unarmed blacks only have 2 factors blacks and police
Old 06-12-2020, 06:03 PM   #90
detbuch

Quote:
Jim they are 2 different conversations and 2 diffterent reasons they exist .. no one has suggest black on black violence isn't an issue
Blacks would agree with you .. and i do as well. but black on black violence has many factors . Where police killing unarmed blacks only have 2 factors blacks and police
White people should protest. Cops kill more unarmed whites than blacks. Maybe police should hire only Asians.