Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 06-12-2020, 06:19 PM   #91
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
Jim they are 2 different conversations and 2 diffterent reasons they exist .. no one has suggest black on black violence isn't an issue
Blacks would agree with you .. and i do as well. but black on black violence has many factors . Where police killing unarmed blacks only have 2 factors blacks and police
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
i know they are two different things. that’s why i asked which one does
more damage to the black community.

for the 4th or 5th time, which of these two different things - police brutality or black on black urban violence - claims more black lives?

Why won’t you answer? what does it say about how flimsy and thoughtless your beliefs are, that you are literally incapable of
answering such a simple question?
Old 06-12-2020, 06:54 PM   #92
Sea Dangles

Are you suggesting the back community get their own house in order before calling in the police?
Snake Blisken wouldn’t stand a chance in a lawless Chicago.
Animals

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 06-15-2020, 07:45 AM   #93
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
There should be no Confederate Statues in Washington DC. But when do they come for Washington and Jefferson?
That didn't take long. Portland Washington

Of course Columbus, all over, but that was a given

But I am paranoid
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Jefferson-Statue-Portland-Jun152020.JPG
Views:	464
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	67185  

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 06-15-2020, 08:12 AM   #94
scottw

Quote:

But I am paranoid
when they run out of statues...are they going to head for the museums and libraries? because there is probably a lot of stuff in those places that they can be offended by
Old 06-15-2020, 09:54 AM   #95
spence

Quote:

But I am paranoid
This has got Antifa’s fingerprints all over it.
Old 06-15-2020, 10:09 AM   #96
Sea Dangles

Probably white nationalists trying to tarnish the squeaky clean image of a community watchdog group.

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 06-15-2020, 10:13 AM   #97
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
But "we" as citizens cannot see that data

And that's exactly why the DOJ is the agency that should investigate.
The records are not public or accessible to investigators outside of police agencies and as has been demonstrated repeatedly police do not like to be investigated by anyone, internally or externally.
So things happen, nobody talks and life goes on.
Quote:
The only reason you want DOJ to investigate is to castigate the DOJ.

"We" as citizens, have proven unable to properly handle that data.

"We" as citizens, should be able to have a detailed dissection of the data and drill down and have comprehensive discussions BUT WE DON'T.

"We" as citizens, like Mom's Demand Action and Everytown, do not look at already PUBLICLY available data on firearm deaths for rifles (average less than 350 per year) and determine that this MASSIVE Gun Grab that divides this country is but for a tiny sliver (less than 0.1%).

So, yeh, maybe it is best NOT to have the data publicly available.

But if you wanted, you could go to your state and ask THEM for the data, or have the local paper do it.
The reason I want the DOJ to do it is because it quite literally is their job.
Ensuring the States follow the Constitution is the reason it was created and this was reaffirmed by Congress in the 60s with the Civil Rights Act.

What is not in DOJ's or Tweety's purview is the enforcement of state laws and few, if any federal laws have been violated in the current protests.

What do gun rights have to do with this discussion?

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 06-15-2020, 10:27 AM   #98
JohnR

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
This has got Antifa’s fingerprints all over it.

Hahaha, no, this is just activists / agitators.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dangles View Post
Probably white nationalists trying to tarnish the squeaky clean image of a community watchdog group.
I've heard some say things like that.

Quote:
The reason I want the DOJ to do it is because it quite literally is their job.
Ensuring the States follow the Constitution is the reason it was created and this was reaffirmed by Congress in the 60s with the Civil Rights Act.
We're somewhat in alignment, I'd like to see the States AND the the Fed do their jobs.

Quote:
What do gun rights have to do with this discussion?
Everything. The inability of the left and right to detailed look and come to agreement, rather than using the issues of the day as a wedge to separate and further divide us.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 06-15-2020, 10:56 AM   #99
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:

But I am paranoid
Up next, Abraham Lincoln.....

https://www.wcvb.com/article/boston-...moval/32860548

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 06-15-2020, 11:16 AM   #100
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
Up next, Abraham Lincoln.....

https://www.wcvb.com/article/boston-...moval/32860548
Well, to be fair the issue here isn't about Lincoln but rather the depiction of the slave.
Old 06-15-2020, 12:31 PM   #101
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Well, to be fair the issue here isn't about Lincoln but rather the depiction of the slave.
Well, to be fair, technically he isn't a slave, he's a free man.......your privilege is showing again.

Old 06-15-2020, 12:34 PM   #102
detbuch

Quote:
Probably better not to have any public art works. All art is subject to, and usually crafted with, "interpretation." Especially art depicting history. Can't think of any such art that wouldn't offend somebody.

Take it all down. And don't replace it with some new art that reflects the current ideological "consensus" on what is a socially just view of history. It will surely be offensive to someone in the future (and probably to someone now).
Old 06-15-2020, 12:58 PM   #103
Pete F.
Canceled

A historian on statues

Statues are not about remembrance, they are about commemoration; not teaching, but moralizing.

We have large, publicly funded history teaching tools. They're called museums (and also to an extent, battlefield parks).

But statues are not teaching tools. No history is lost when a statue comes down.

The question is, what values does this statue express?

So if you are thinking, "should this statue be here?" The question you want to ask is not "what history is it connected to?" but "what values does it express right now ?" Not who does it glorify, but WHY does it glorify them?

And for the person saying,"well, maybe it was because they were good soldiers" answer this: where are James Longstreet's statues? Why is there one confederate general left out of all of this soldierly commemoration?
Why? Because after the war, he supported reconstruction.
It was never about generalship or leadership, these statues were always about hate and Longstreet didn't hate quite enough for the hateful people who put these statues up.

That's the value they communicate. Hate.

So when evaluating a statue, ask yourself, "What values was this statue created to communicate? Are they good values? Are they values I believe in?"

And if the answer is "no" - remove that statue and replace it with one that does represent our values.

And if you don't think the Confederacy was about slavery and race, you have not read the Declarations of Causes of Seceding States.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Lets Go Darwin
Old 06-15-2020, 02:02 PM   #104
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

One historians opinion does not represent a consensus.
Old 06-15-2020, 02:21 PM   #105
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
Well, to be fair, technically he isn't a slave, he's a free man.......your privilege is showing again.
He’s in shackles, you’re off by a moment.
Old 06-15-2020, 02:28 PM   #106
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
The chains are broken, he's been set free.

His head is held up and he his looking forward. Some great symbolism in this piece.

Stop always trying to keep a Brother down

Last edited by The Dad Fisherman; 06-15-2020 at 02:36 PM..

Old 06-15-2020, 04:37 PM   #107
JohnR

Maybe the Mayan Calendar is finally right because we surely never invent Time Travel.

If we did invent it, Time Traveling Social Justice Warriors would zip back from the Furry Republic and tell us how bad we are.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 06-15-2020, 04:45 PM   #108
Sea Dangles

Quote:
Mr T would be proud of you.

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 06-16-2020, 07:35 AM   #109
scottw

Quote:

Social Justice Warriors

out of their parents basement to cause mayhem..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	104055928_3020935707996519_1015429062989808669_o.jpg
Views:	439
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	67186  
Old 06-16-2020, 08:12 AM   #110
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
out of their parents basement to cause mayhem..

Old 06-16-2020, 01:53 PM   #111
t.orlando

Build a giant cage around Chaz....re-game it Thunderdome, and let them play it out.
Old 06-16-2020, 02:39 PM   #112
Pete F.
Canceled

Still waiting for all the Antifa arrests, meanwhile good ol' American's, not terrorists like them antifa boys are getting arrested and charged.

OAKLAND — An Air Force sergeant suspected of killing a Santa Cruz County sheriff’s sergeant will be charged, along with a Millbrae man, in the fatal shooting of a federal security officer last month in downtown Oakland, federal officials said Tuesday.

Officials said Carrillo harbored a hatred of law enforcement and had ties to a right-wing Boogaloo group that believes a second American Civil War is coming soon.

Underwood, a 53-year-old Pinole resident, was guarding the Ronald V. Dellums Federal Building in Oakland amid protests nearby over police brutality and the killing of George Floyd in Minneapolis. The white van was captured on a surveillance video, officials said, which revealed that the gunman had slid open the van’s side door to fire the weapon.

An Air Force sergeant and leader in an elite military security force, Carrillo was armed with homemade bombs, an AR-15 rifle and other weapons and had a desire to harm police when he launched a deadly attack on unsuspecting officers, the Santa Cruz County sheriff said Monday.

Officials said Tuesday that Carrillo and Justus were not part of the protests and were taking advantage of them to carry out their attacks.

Lets Go Darwin
Old 06-16-2020, 03:16 PM   #113
PaulS

In New Mexico the two people dressed as militiamen were probably Antifa in disguise
Old 06-16-2020, 03:42 PM   #114
detbuch

Quote:
Still waiting for all the Antifa arrests, meanwhile good ol' American's, not terrorists like them antifa boys are getting arrested and charged.

Obviously, this means no Antifa are involved or, if they are, they are being peaceful and law abiding. After all, their name stands for anti-fascism. So with a good name like that they could not possibly be about doing bad stuff.

And don't go on about the myth that they do as much as they can to not be recognized. To not be obvious dum-dums like real fascists and white supremecists who proudly parade their wares and their ability to create mayhem and death.
Old 06-17-2020, 10:22 AM   #115
Pete F.
Canceled

It’s interesting to remember that less than a year ago Tweety’s FBI director told Congress that the "majority of the domestic terrorism cases we’ve investigated are motivated by some version of what you might call white supremacist violence."
Old 06-17-2020, 11:43 AM   #116
spence

Quote:
It’s interesting to remember that less than a year ago Tweety’s FBI director told Congress that the "majority of the domestic terrorism cases we’ve investigated are motivated by some version of what you might call white supremacist violence."
You mean like the Boogalo Bois who just shot and killed a federal agent at a protest?
Old 06-17-2020, 01:21 PM   #117
JohnR

Quote:

OAKLAND — An Air Force sergeant suspected of killing a Santa Cruz County sheriff’s sergeant will be charged, along with a Millbrae man, in the fatal shooting of a federal security officer last month in downtown Oakland, federal officials said Tuesday.

Officials said Carrillo harbored a hatred of law enforcement and had ties to a right-wing Boogaloo group that believes a second American Civil War is coming soon.

Underwood, a 53-year-old Pinole resident, was guarding the Ronald V. Dellums Federal Building in Oakland amid protests nearby over police brutality and the killing of George Floyd in Minneapolis. The white van was captured on a surveillance video, officials said, which revealed that the gunman had slid open the van’s side door to fire the weapon.

An Air Force sergeant and leader in an elite military security force, Carrillo was armed with homemade bombs, an AR-15 rifle and other weapons and had a desire to harm police when he launched a deadly attack on unsuspecting officers, the Santa Cruz County sheriff said Monday.

Officials said Tuesday that Carrillo and Justus were not part of the protests and were taking advantage of them to carry out their attacks.
Good. Law enforcement caught them, investigated, and are going to determine a motive. May they be proescuted with the full extent of the law.

The people that killed Captain Dorn should be apprehended and prosecuted (see how that works).

THe people that killed others i anything but self defense should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

Regardless of skin color, religion, or political leanings.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 06-18-2020, 08:33 PM   #118
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
The only reason you want DOJ to investigate is to castigate the DOJ.

"We" as citizens, have proven unable to properly handle that data.

"We" as citizens, should be able to have a detailed dissection of the data and drill down and have comprehensive discussions BUT WE DON'T.

"We" as citizens, like Mom's Demand Action and Everytown, do not look at already PUBLICLY available data on firearm deaths for rifles (average less than 350 per year) and determine that this MASSIVE Gun Grab that divides this country is but for a tiny sliver (less than 0.1%).

So, yeh, maybe it is best NOT to have the data publicly available.

But if you wanted, you could go to your state and ask THEM for the data, or have the local paper do it.
I have not spent the time to validate this, but based on my attempts to find this information, I suspect that it is correct
FBI launched database on police use of force last year, but only 40 percent of police participated, and the data has not been published yet.

This data belongs to the public.

Lets Go Darwin