Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 04-26-2019, 04:13 PM   #91
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
I have no issues with you being outraged its when you spew outrage of your own making or when told to

Id rather base my outrage on actually things Trump has done and said

not imaginary ones
"its when you spew outrage of your own making "

Isn't all outrage of one's own making? You and I can both choose not to be outraged by what we see. Again, it's valid when you go on an anti-Trump rant, but not when I criticize Obama and Hilary. Why not just say it? Can't you be honest, and say that outrage is only valid if it's aimed at conservatives? Obviously that's what you believe.

"or when told to "

Oh. And who do I get my instructions from?

WDMSO, for the millionth time, I disagree with conservatives on some big issues - gay marriage, the death penalty. We would all like to know, on what bog issues, you disagree with liberals on? Let's see, between you and I, who is the thoughtless partisan, and who thinks for himself? Can we do that once and for all?

"Id rather base my outrage on actually things Trump has done and said "

I'm making this up? Obama and Hilary didn't say easter worshippers?

You're all over the place, and not making a ton of sense.
Old 04-26-2019, 05:49 PM   #92
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

I’m not outraged, I’m just amazed I have to argue this much over facts and the English language
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 04-27-2019, 09:15 AM   #93
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dangles View Post
Is it the same research that informed you that tuition is the cheapest part of college? Because that must be some type of source that keeps you up to date.🤦🏽#^&♂️
Bridgewater's state university
Tution 8400
Books room and board 15,300
Old 04-27-2019, 09:39 AM   #94
detbuch

Quote:
Tution 8400
So you picked a low end tuition college, and you added the cost of two separate items to stack up against tuition. Most state colleges charge state residents the basic tuition and charge out-of-staters much more. And many of the in-staters don't have to pay room and board because they can live at home.

"The average cost of tuition and fees for the 2018–2019 school year was $35,676 at private colleges, $9,716 for state residents at public colleges and $21,629 for out-of-state students at state schools, according to data reported to U.S. News in an annual survey."

Most of the big, well known universities, including the big state colleges, have many out of state students because the influence that a degree from one of them is greater than that of the small colleges.

BTW, most people consider the total costs, including books and room and board as the actual tuition cost. Especially books. The Professors have a racket going of mandating that specific books are required for their courses, so books are part of the learning process for which tuition is charged. And, by coincidence, the books are often written by the professors who get a royalty from the sales.

The differentiation of fees is a way of making "tuition" appear cheaper. The necessity of paying all fees is the actual cost. The differing fees are distinctions without a difference. The whole package is the price of being educated. It's like the advertisements for the price of a new car. By the time you add up the "fees" the actual price of the car is considerably more.

Last edited by detbuch; 04-27-2019 at 10:04 AM..
Old 04-27-2019, 09:53 AM   #95
Sea Dangles

[QUOTE=wdmso;1166344]Bridgewater's state university
Tution 8400
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device[/QUOTE

Silly me
I guess you are right again.
Smart fella I tell ya.

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 04-27-2019, 05:20 PM   #96
detbuch

Quote:
Tution 8400
What you did was very disingenuous. Out of all the most considered schools in Massachusetts, you picked the only one that seemed to support what you say. All the others totally debunk what you say. Tuition and fees far outweigh not only the other individual costs, but even their total costs. See chart below:

2019 Tuition, Fees, and Living Costs Comparison Between Most Considered Schools in Massachusetts

School Name
Tuition & Fees
Cost Per Credit Hour
Books & Supplies
Living Costs
In-State
Out-of-State
In-State
Out-of-State
On Campus
Off Campus

Boston CollegeChestnut Hill, MA
$55,464
-
$1,976
$1,250
$16,378
$13,000

Boston UniversityBoston, MA
$53,948
-
$1,650
$1,000
$17,670
$17,670

Brandeis UniversityWaltham, MA
$55,395
-
$1,664
$1,000
$16,940
$13,500

Bridgewater State UniversityBridgewater, MA
$10,367
$16,507
$405
$661
$800
$15,644
$15,844

Harvard UniversityCambridge, MA
$50,420
-
$1,448
$1,000
$20,230
-

Massachusetts Institute of TechnologyCambridge, MA
Tuition Information is not available

Northeastern UniversityBoston, MA
$51,522
-
$1,577
$1,000
$18,070
$18,680

Suffolk UniversityBoston, MA
$38,566
-
$1,130
$1,200
$18,105
$21,076

Tufts UniversityMedford, MA
$56,382
-
$1,724
$1,000
$16,118
$16,118

Williams CollegeWilliamstown, MA
$55,450
-
$1,838
$800
$16,950
-

Average
$10,367
$48,184
$405
$1,519
$1,006
$17,345
$16,555
Number of schools to show 1 of 1 Pages Prev Next
*The data for academic year 2018-2019 is from IPEDS (The Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System),U.S. Department of Education.
**Information is not available for schools that are not appeared in the table. The schools have not report the information to the IPEDS or not applicable.)

Plus everyone has "living costs" regardless of whether they attend school or not. So the total for living costs, room and board, etc. does not account for what the costs would be even if school was not attended.

Last edited by detbuch; 04-27-2019 at 05:25 PM..
Old 04-28-2019, 07:35 AM   #97
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
So you picked a low end tuition college, and you added the cost of two separate items to stack up against tuition. Most state colleges charge state residents the basic tuition and charge out-of-staters much more. And many of the in-staters don't have to pay room and board because they can live at home.

"The average cost of tuition and fees for the 2018–2019 school year was $35,676 at private colleges, $9,716 for state residents at public colleges and $21,629 for out-of-state students at state schools, according to data reported to U.S. News in an annual survey."

Most of the big, well known universities, including the big state colleges, have many out of state students because the influence that a degree from one of them is greater than that of the small colleges.

BTW, most people consider the total costs, including books and room and board as the actual tuition cost. Especially books. The Professors have a racket going of mandating that specific books are required for their courses, so books are part of the learning process for which tuition is charged. And, by coincidence, the books are often written by the professors who get a royalty from the sales.

The differentiation of fees is a way of making "tuition" appear cheaper. The necessity of paying all fees is the actual cost. The differing fees are distinctions without a difference. The whole package is the price of being educated. It's like the advertisements for the price of a new car. By the time you add up the "fees" the actual price of the car is considerably more.
its called the cost of college.. I can't help that you see listing one price against listing another another price and comparing the 2 or because its a State school as disegunious.. for my experience tuition is one piece with a a price Tag
and living and books and food and credit hours are another ...

most people consider the total costs, including books and room and board as the actual tuition cost. that's great but that would be wrong ..
Old 04-28-2019, 07:52 AM   #98
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
What you did was very disingenuous. Out of all the most considered schools in Massachusetts, you picked the only one that seemed to support what you say. All the others totally debunk what you say. Tuition and fees far outweigh not only the other individual costs, but even their total costs. See chart below:

2019 Tuition, Fees, and Living Costs Comparison Between Most Considered Schools in Massachusetts

School Name
Tuition & Fees
Cost Per Credit Hour
Books & Supplies
Living Costs
In-State
Out-of-State
In-State
Out-of-State
On Campus
Off Campus

Boston CollegeChestnut Hill, MA
$55,464
-
$1,976
$1,250
$16,378
$13,000

Boston UniversityBoston, MA
$53,948
-
$1,650
$1,000
$17,670
$17,670

Brandeis UniversityWaltham, MA
$55,395
-
$1,664
$1,000
$16,940
$13,500

Bridgewater State UniversityBridgewater, MA
$10,367
$16,507
$405
$661
$800
$15,644
$15,844

Harvard UniversityCambridge, MA
$50,420
-
$1,448
$1,000
$20,230
-

Massachusetts Institute of TechnologyCambridge, MA
Tuition Information is not available

Northeastern UniversityBoston, MA
$51,522
-
$1,577
$1,000
$18,070
$18,680

Suffolk UniversityBoston, MA
$38,566
-
$1,130
$1,200
$18,105
$21,076

Tufts UniversityMedford, MA
$56,382
-
$1,724
$1,000
$16,118
$16,118

Williams CollegeWilliamstown, MA
$55,450
-
$1,838
$800
$16,950
-

Average
$10,367
$48,184
$405
$1,519
$1,006
$17,345
$16,555
Number of schools to show 1 of 1 Pages Prev Next
*The data for academic year 2018-2019 is from IPEDS (The Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System),U.S. Department of Education.
**Information is not available for schools that are not appeared in the table. The schools have not report the information to the IPEDS or not applicable.)

Plus everyone has "living costs" regardless of whether they attend school or not. So the total for living costs, room and board, etc. does not account for what the costs would be even if school was not attended.

Because State schools were they only way my kids were going to go to college

its the same reason my Boats a Sea Hunt its not what I want its what i could afford
Old 04-28-2019, 07:58 AM   #99
scottw

Quote:

tuition is one piece with a a price Tag

wouldn't tuition, books and credit hours be one piece

and living and food be another as the first are mandatory for a college education the second is something you choose to do if you want the college to feed and water and house your student...there are options
Old 04-28-2019, 08:40 AM   #100
Sea Dangles

Quote:
Because State schools were they only way my kids were going to go to college

its the same reason my Boats a Sea Hunt its not what I want its what i could afford
I guess that in your unique case that tuition may have been the least costly portion of your children’s college education but I would hardly describe that as the norm. In my unique case that is far from being close to the truth. I am hoping my decision to not shop at the bargain store will give my children more opportunities and I will wait until graduation to pursue my dream boat. Good Luck.

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 04-29-2019, 02:08 PM   #101
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dangles View Post
I guess that in your unique case that tuition may have been the least costly portion of your children’s college education but I would hardly describe that as the norm. In my unique case that is far from being close to the truth. I am hoping my decision to not shop at the bargain store will give my children more opportunities and I will wait until graduation to pursue my dream boat. Good Luck.

Not exactly sure how I should read that?
Old 04-29-2019, 03:57 PM   #102
detbuch

Quote:
I can't help that you see listing one price against listing another another price and comparing the 2 or because its a State school as disegunious..

Maybe I'm giving you too much credit. You've told us in several past posts that we need to look at the big picture. You didn't say that your statement "Free Tuition sounds great until you understand its the cheapest part of going to school.." was merely your personal experience with one school. So, without that significant qualification, it came across as a comment on the "big picture." Since the big picture, which your past posts indicate you adhere to, differs from your personal experience, it would seem that you were being disingenuous.

But, maybe, rather than really caring about the big picture to which you want others to pay attention, you see things through a more narrow lens.

for my experience tuition is one piece with a a price Tag
Living expenses exist whether you go to school or not. They could be higher or lower for non-students. They are not, essentially, a cost of going to school. And most students who go to schools in their driving distance locality incur few, if any, any "living costs" because of school attendance. Those out-of-staters or out of locality would have living costs if they didn't go to school.

I don't know how those who campaign on free college figure in such things as living expenses or the different prices for different schools, and who gets to go to which schools. If our tax money pays, then many might be upset that others get to go to a better school on their dime than their children can. I suppose the federal government could just take over the whole education system and make all schools equal in quality and price.
Old 04-29-2019, 04:24 PM   #103
PaulS

Quote:
Not exactly sure how I should read that?
I probably. Read it the same way as you.
Old 04-29-2019, 04:29 PM   #104
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
I probably. Read it the same way as you.
Dude, it's "I probably, read it the same way as you."

Step it up.
Old 04-29-2019, 08:25 PM   #105
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Dude, it's "I probably, read it the same way as you."

Step it up.
"I, probably, read it the same way as you."

Last edited by The Dad Fisherman; 04-30-2019 at 10:27 AM..

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."