Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » How To's, F.A.Q.s, Tips, & Tricks

How To's, F.A.Q.s, Tips, & Tricks How-To's, Tips & Tricks plus Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) **** Please Do Not Start Discussions or Ask New Questions in Here **** This is for popular Threads To be moved here for easy access & discussion. Post all new questions in main Stripertalk Forum

Old 02-03-2003, 10:15 PM   #1
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Take a Stroll, catch a fish

Every once in a while I like to go for a stroll. Now don't think this means a walk, it's sort of between walking and trolling with the big motor. The term was actually coined by some freshwater basspro, who's name escapes me. It's trolling with the electric trolling motor, not the big motor.

I take a 1 or 1-1/8 oz Owner bullet head jig, put on my 8 inch curly tail, put the trolling motor down and on about 50% power and go for a stroll. I'm on and off the foot control to work the grub up and down in the water column, how much I'm on/off depends on the wind/tide/current and the depth I'm strolling. All the while I'm occassionally snapping my 7'6" Lami Titanium Conventional (sweet blank) with my Abu 5600C4, spooled with 30# spiderwire. At the terminal end it's an 80# Spro barrel and 24 inch 30 lb Segar Flurocarbon leader. It's like trolling and jigging combined, which with the added swimming attraction of the tail, drives mr and mrs striped bass crazy. For bass holding in 15-35 feet of water it's a killer tactic at times. It's especially effective after the surface action has stopped and you know the fish are still there, just ask Schoolie Monster.

You can adjust the depth your jigging/strolling by the distance behind the boat, the weight of the jig, the power level on the trolling motor and how often and how long it's on between pauses. That's not to say you can't just turn it on and adjust the speed, but there's nothing like irratic behavior to provoke strikes, so I like to add the pauses to the power and the jigging action of the rod snaps or sweeps. With a sharp hook and braid, you really have to do nothing but raise the rod and reel to set the hook. For those that don't have a trolling motor, the big motor or a kicker can be used, but alas then there is that noise....unless your lucky enough to be running a 4-stroke.

Well that's my first reel contribution to the how to forum and on a new favorite method I toyed with a good amount last year, involving some strolling. Take a stroll, catch a fish, have some fun, tight lines.
Got Stripers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2003, 09:28 AM   #2
striperswiper

STROLLING

G/S,

What type of boat are you doing this from, and what size "strolling" motor are you using. Is the motor on the bow or stern??

Mike
21' Gradywhite/"SeaTurtle"
Cranston R.I.
Narragansett Bay
striperswiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2003, 11:59 AM   #3
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

I'm in a 19 foot Lund 1890 ProV, which is significantly heavier than say a 19 foot fisherman. I'm running a 36V 102 lb thrust Riptide, however the power and type are relative, as long as what you have moves your boat along nicely you could use a similar approach. You could also accomplish it by placing your big motor in and out of gear, however you don't have the same stealthy approach.
Old 02-04-2003, 01:11 PM   #4
striperswiper

G/S,
How do you think that would work on my 20' Grady White? Mounted on the stern?

Mike
21' Gradywhite/"SeaTurtle"
Cranston R.I.
Narragansett Bay
striperswiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2003, 01:25 PM   #5
schoolie monster

Yes, I have seen technique employed by one, Mr. G. Stripers.

Its like trolling with greater boat control. You can really work an area effectively and the large grub usually picks up decent sized fish.

Two things that really help:

1. a bow mount sonar unit
2. a 24- or 36- volt electric trolling motor
schoolie monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2003, 04:22 PM   #6
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Ask anyone that's been in my boat, that trolling motor is very powerful and the 36V system doesn't run down; even after a long day at the office. Sure it will push your 20 footer, but can you effective operate it and fish from the stern, those are the questions. Interesting you ask about putting a bow mount trolling motor on the stern of your 20 footer, but it's likely the only way you will get that thrust. Almost all the most powerful motors are limited to bow mount application, but then again it's been awhile since I looked at what is available.

If the shaft length works yes it will work, but I'd definately recommend a 36V system for any prolonged salt water use. There are motors that can be mounted on your lower unit and the usual transom mount motors, however I'm not sure they have the balls you would need. Might go to either the motor guide or minn kota web pages to see what is available, maybe even give their customer service people a call.

The quiet power that catches fish.