Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » How To's, F.A.Q.s, Tips, & Tricks

How To's, F.A.Q.s, Tips, & Tricks How-To's, Tips & Tricks plus Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) **** Please Do Not Start Discussions or Ask New Questions in Here **** This is for popular Threads To be moved here for easy access & discussion. Post all new questions in main Stripertalk Forum

Old 02-03-2007, 05:37 PM   #1
ripitsik

Quick Question...

I am looking into buying a spheros 8000 and I wanted to know if that may be too small? Do you guys think that an 8000 is too small or should I move up to a 10000 instead? I just held it in my hand and I was thinking to myself if I should go up to the next size or not.
ripitsik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 06:01 PM   #2
fishaholic18
Finally

What are u using it for? Short of Tuns or shark fishing, the 8000 has plenty of line capacity.

F-18®
It IsWhat It Is

¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º >¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((( º>
fishaholic18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 08:48 PM   #3
Raven

Cool

and the best place to buy it is?
(locally)
price was $ 109.00 where i saw it today
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 10:35 AM   #4
ripitsik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven View Post
and the best place to buy it is?
(locally)
price was $ 109.00 where i saw it today

I know exactly where your talking about. Thats why I asked haha. They didn't have anything above an 8000. #^&#^&#^&#^&'s Sporting Goods. Love that place! If I could I would move into that place. Just borrow a pre-made tent and a sleeping bag.

No I just wanted to fish for stripers and blues pretty much nothing else. I just wanted to see if the 8000 is strong enough for stripers or if I need to go up to the 10000
Old 02-06-2007, 10:45 AM   #5
ripitsik

sorry meant 12000
Old 02-06-2007, 10:54 AM   #6
Raven

well, it comes down to weight of the reel and i'm trying to stay low as
possible... and still have spool capacity high.

I'd rather "personally" make the goof rather than have more reel than i need for a particular rod.
i want good balance ----- i know that feel.

109 in cabelas too

was checkin.... it jumps eight ounces from the 8000 to the 12000

Last edited by Raven; 02-06-2007 at 11:01 AM..
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 11:04 AM   #7
Moses

I own several Spheros. All cast exceptionally well/far distance. My only complaint is once infiltrated by saltwater, it's only a matter of time before fatal bearing corrosion sets in. Mike T at M&D's helped me out 2 years ago with my 6000 but it is probably a goner for this season.

1. 4000 on a 6' Tica - my schoolie set up but has taken some decent high teens fish.

2. 5000 on a 6'Tica - a little more power and drag, same use as above.

3. 6000 on a 7' Tica - This is my primary boat rod when vertical jigging or casting. I sometimes use this same reel on my lighter 9' Tica for casting topwater. Has handled fish into the low thirtys.

4. 8000 on a 9' Custom - Great plugging setup.

5. 12000 on a 8' Penn Slammer - Great boat trolling set up.

Hope this info helps.

Mike Malone
Moses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 02:00 PM   #8
ripitsik

The best prices I have seen around by far is on digitaldagger.com . The free shipping is a great! I think I'm gonna go with the 8000. Like you guys said, there is no reason to have too much reel for no reason.
Old 02-06-2007, 02:26 PM   #9
Moses

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripitsik View Post
The best prices I have seen around by far is on digitaldagger.com . The free shipping is a great! I think I'm gonna go with the 8000. Like you guys said, there is no reason to have too much reel for no reason.
8000 is a nice reel. I've also conducted business with the guy who runs digitaldagger and have had zero problems. Even went out and found some prior years rods for me when I called him.

Mike Malone
Moses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 11:21 PM   #10
DMenace

I'm going to Sanibel Island FLA in 2 weeks. I'm bringing my St. Croix/ stradic 5000. I fish in Boston for stripers and blues but I don't know if the fish in FLA will bite on the same stuff. I'll be fishing from the surf, flats and maybe a kayak. Hoping for tarpon,redfish, snook or anything else that will bite. What should I bring for lures or should I wait until I get there and buy stuff down there. Thanks in advance for any help.
DMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 09:44 PM   #11
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

If you need more 50# braid for bass than an 8000 holds, you also need to have someone show you how to use your drag

My conservative guess is 275 yards of 50# braid.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
Mike P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 07:30 AM   #12
Bronko

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripitsik View Post
Rip,

The 8000 is a great reel, I have been using it for a few years and have a bunch of them. There is no need to go up any higher. The digitaldagger price is reasonable, the price of the 8000 always hovers around $100-$109. I think you will find it is a great reel!

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope. ~John Buchan
Bronko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 08:58 AM   #13
ripitsik

Hey Bronko,

I actually bought it about a month ago. Actually my gf bought it for me haha. #^&#^&#^&#^&'s Sporting Goods in Brockton made a huge mistake on the pricing and my gf also doesnt know diddly squat about fishing reels and she ended up getting an 8000 for 60 bucks . I guess the guy forgot to put in the amount for the reel which was $109 and he ended up just putting the discount price of my gf's sneakers that she bought on sale for 60 bucks. Im glad I waited!!!