Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » How To's, F.A.Q.s, Tips, & Tricks

How To's, F.A.Q.s, Tips, & Tricks How-To's, Tips & Tricks plus Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) **** Please Do Not Start Discussions or Ask New Questions in Here **** This is for popular Threads To be moved here for easy access & discussion. Post all new questions in main Stripertalk Forum

Old 04-21-2003, 08:16 PM   #1
Notaro
None

How to help and teach your friends/cousins/uncles to fish and to learn about fishing?

hey guys, i have pretty some basic techniques from this forum and i am grateful to all of you. however, i need some ideas or any assistence on helping and teaching my cousins and incompentent uncles how to fish and etc. the reason i made this thread is because they fished with me more than once and relied on me for doing their works which i didnt apperticate it. my uncle rick fished more than twice with me and before that. and guess what? he was too scared to cut a bait or tie a rig. i couldnt have the heart to tell him how i feel. it's a long story. and i told two of my cousins to learn how to tie knots by learning from the internet, but they didn't. and now, they are questioning me about that on AIM. i told them that i dont want to go through that next time we fish. and one of my cousin, chris, told me that i should shut up and have "fun." how can an angler have fun with a person who amkes him or her do the works for him or her while he or she doesnt have the pleasure to fish? u know what im saying? i dont want them to be like me like the last time on this forum, remember?
so how do i make them to understand my feelings and be serious aboiut fishing? fishing is fun, but it isn't fun if you make the fisherman to do the works for you. it's like if my cousins aren't paying their dues and not doing the legworks. i dont want them to be like me. when my uncle caught a fish, he thinks that he is an expert. but he doesnt want to do the legworks, but want me to do them for him.

again, how do i teach them how to fish before going on a trip with them? and also how do i get them to be serious about fishing?
Notaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 08:27 PM   #2
Scotch Bonnet
USA

If you refuse to do it for them, they will have to learn on their own. Once your into fish, I bet they'll learn real quick. Be nice but be firm.
Scotch Bonnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 08:29 PM   #3
Notaro
None

yes, i refuse to do it for them next time because i already showed them the basic concept of fishing. they will get it on their own. trust me. and i dont want to hear them whining to me....
however, i will be firm but nice.
Old 04-25-2003, 07:07 AM   #4
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Loan them copies of the books you've read - when you're done. Get them hooked and then make them fend for yourself. You may find it very annoying that they won't do the work themselves and just ask & ask (don't just send them to ask elsewhere ), make it so they learn WITH you and then are OK.

What you'll want to do is to steer them in the right direction so they do a little themselves but you don't need to do all the work. If they do a decent amount of the work they will learn better and you and they will be better rewarded...

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 09:23 AM   #5
Notaro
None

that's a good idea. so what if one fo them wants to learn how to cast? should i show teach him how to cast? he fished before, but never casted because his father did it for him. and that's the problem for me because i tried to teach him how to cast, but he seemed inconfident and scared to feel the rod. i emphasized to him that he shouldn't be able to be afraid of it. i told him to relax and go with the flow. and he wasted my time last summer. i don't mind teaching him how to cast if he had informed me that he doesnt know how to do it, which he didn't.

i will do that or i will pay and send them to bil and jul's...
Old 04-25-2003, 09:38 AM   #6
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

I think if they are afraid of casting and you've repeatably tried with small gear and work them up to reasonably bigger stuff, they should try golf instead...

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 12:36 PM   #7
Big Vern
Hooked

You can't force anyone to like fishing. If they like it, they will persue it. Nothing more.
Big Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2003, 11:10 PM   #8
Notaro
None

yes, but my cousins do like fishing. however, they lacked the proper instructions from their fathers (apparently) and they made me do the legworks for them when going on a fishing trip more than three times. i just feel like i have had enough of that, u know? but you are right. i would never force anyone to like fishing. my sister doesnt like to fish. so i wont force her. beginners are entiled to pursue their fishing interests if they fell in love with it.
Old 04-30-2003, 11:46 AM   #9
bloocrab
Callinectes sapidus

Re: How to help and teach your friends/cousins/uncles to fish and to learn about fishing?

Quote:
Originally posted by Notaro
how can an angler have fun with a person who amkes him or her do the works for him ....fishing is fun, but it isn't fun if you make the fisherman to do the works for you...... it's like if my cousins aren't paying their dues and not doing the legworks......my uncle caught a fish, he thinks that he is an expert. but he doesnt want to do the legworks, but want me to do them for him....

...tie on some XXtra large pogy snaggers...cast into some reel rocky terrain....hand them the pole. They'll never bother you again!

......it finally happened, there are no more secret spots
bloocrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 12:07 PM   #10
Notaro
None

hahahaha, that's a good one, bloocrab. i will do that when i see them.