Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » DIY - Forum

DIY - Forum Do It Yourself for Non-Fishing Items

Old 10-24-2012, 07:53 PM   #1
niko

handicapped ramp code questions

how long a run can i do before i need a landing? how big does the landing need to be? and do i need real footings?

my 1st wife didn't like me fishing so much
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:55 PM   #2
iamskippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by niko View Post
how long a run can i do before i need a landing? how big does the landing need to be? and do i need real footings?
Paul, the length depends on the pitch (angle) as far as footings i do believe you do

Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Attached Files
File Type: pdf rampguidelines.pdf (497.6 KB, 1194 views)

Last edited by iamskippy; 10-24-2012 at 08:16 PM..
iamskippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:17 PM   #3
Pete F.
Canceled

Is this for your house or a private residence? These are pretty typical code guidelines, Mass might be slightly different. I usually build residential ramps on top of the ground, they are not usually permanent structures and typically need to last 5 years or less. That is kind of sad isn't it.
4.8.1* General. Any part of an accessible route with a slope greater than 1:20 shall be considered a ramp and shall comply with 4.8. Appendix Note

4.8.2* Slope and Rise. The least possible slope shall be used for any ramp. The maximum slope of a ramp in new construction shall be 1:12. The maximum rise for any run shall be 30 in (760 mm) (see Fig. 16). Curb ramps and ramps to be constructed on existing sites or in existing buildings or facilities may have slopes and rises as allowed in 4.1.6(3)(a) if space limitations prohibit the use of a 1:12 slope or less. Appendix Note

4.8.3 Clear Width. The minimum clear width of a ramp shall be 36 in (915 mm).

4.8.4* Landings. Ramps shall have level landings at bottom and top of each ramp and each ramp run. Landings shall have the following features:

(1) The landing shall be at least as wide as the ramp run leading to it.

(2) The landing length shall be a minimum of 60 in (1525 mm) clear.

(3) If ramps change direction at landings, the minimum landing size shall be 60 in by 60 in (1525 mm by 1525 mm).

(4) If a doorway is located at a landing, then the area in front of the doorway shall comply with 4.13.6. Appendix Note

4.8.5* Handrails. If a ramp run has a rise greater than 6 in (150 mm) or a horizontal projection greater than 72 in (1830 mm), then it shall have handrails on both sides. Handrails are not required on curb ramps or adjacent to seating in assembly areas. Handrails shall comply with 4.26 and shall have the following features:

(1) Handrails shall be provided along both sides of ramp segments. The inside handrail on switchback or dogleg ramps shall always be continuous.

(2) If handrails are not continuous, they shall extend at least 12 in (305 mm) beyond the top and bottom of the ramp segment and shall be parallel with the floor or ground surface (see Fig. 17).

(3) The clear space between the handrail and the wall shall be 1 - 1/2 in (38 mm).

(4) Gripping surfaces shall be continuous.

(5) Top of handrail gripping surfaces shall be mounted between 34 in and 38 in (865 mm and 965 mm) above ramp surfaces.

(6) Ends of handrails shall be either rounded or returned smoothly to floor, wall, or post.

(7) Handrails shall not rotate within their fittings. Appendix Note

4.8.6 Cross Slope and Surfaces. The cross slope of ramp surfaces shall be no greater than 1:50. Ramp surfaces shall comply with 4.5.

4.8.7 Edge Protection. Ramps and landings with drop-offs shall have curbs, walls, railings, or projecting surfaces that prevent people from slipping off the ramp. Curbs shall be a minimum of 2 in (50 mm) high (see Fig. 17).

4.8.8 Outdoor Conditions. Outdoor ramps and their approaches shall be designed so that water will not accumulate on walking surfaces.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Pete F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:22 PM   #4
Squid kids Dad

Just had one put in for me..I believe its a foot length for every inch of height..A landing is needed for every change in direction..Dont hold me to it..Dont rent one..I was quoted $600 to install,$193 to rent per week and another $400 to disassemble..To purchase $3500..Had a wood one built for $475 materials and $200 labor..

I'm going where I'm going...
Squid kids Dad is offline   Reply With Quote