Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » Boat Fishing & Boating

Boat Fishing & Boating A new forum at Striped-Bass.com for those fishing from boats and for boating in general

Old 04-02-2021, 07:40 AM   #1
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Eletronic Flare????

The C-1003 fills all Coast Guard Compliant Visual Distress Signal (VDS) requirements (46 CFR 175.130) for recreational marine vessels 16 FT AND OVER signals when combined with the included Distress Flag and quality marine whistle to fulfill USCG audible signal requirements.

Anyone up on this? Am I just late to the party. I likely would be having to replace flares this year so..... looking into this. Anybody?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg C-1003-SOS-Beacon-Flare_2.jpg (85.3 KB, 7 views)

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 07:56 AM   #2
Nebe

Yep. And it makes more sense as a flare is one and done. You probably have 3 or 4 and then that’s it, while this thing can stay activated for quite a while.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 08:26 AM   #3
wdmso

I looked at those just didn’t pull the trigger yet
wdmso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 08:29 AM   #4
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

One review says it is huge, the size of a toaster... But I can make room for that.

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
Old 04-02-2021, 08:39 AM   #5
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfighter View Post
One review says it is huge, the size of a toaster... But I can make room for that.
In that case I’d just get the toaster. At least you’d have something to eat in an emergency.
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 09:09 AM   #6
fishbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
In that case I’d just get the toaster. At least you’d have something to eat in an emergency.
I think everyone can agree that you should always have a toaster with you when you’re around water.

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
fishbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 09:56 AM   #7
Nebe

The ones I have seen are the size of a large ice cream cone.
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 11:46 AM   #8
niko

ive got one in the ditch bag. acr. size of a good burrito

my 1st wife didn't like me fishing so much
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 01:17 PM   #9
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Quote:
Originally Posted by niko View Post
ive got one in the ditch bag. acr. size of a good burrito
Does that one cover you for USCG signaling device/flares requirement?

Old 04-02-2021, 04:48 PM   #10
niko

yes, as long as you have the flag

my 1st wife didn't like me fishing so much
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 05:22 PM   #11
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

So in my mind, it makes sense to put one of these onboard and leave the out of date flares onboard as well..... Should cover the bases. Giving this serious consideration.

I have always wanted to fire off an "expired" flare in front of the CG if they busted my chops on expiration.......kinda like one of those FU moments I used to love pulling off in my youth....

Old 04-03-2021, 05:48 AM   #12
Rmarsh

Not a bad idea to have more safety equipment...but a burning flare would be a lot more noticeable as a distress signal. I think they burn brighter as well... more reliable than anything needing batteries.....consider one officers experience with an electronic flare.

A marine police officer in a busy city harbor recently asked himself the same question when contemplating the purchase of an electronic signal device for his own boat. His concern stemmed from years of locating distressed boaters at night, and the difficulties therein—especially with the lights of the city in the background.

His personal (albeit unscientific) test concluded that most boaters do not recognize the SOS signal. The officer positioned his boat in the center of the harbor at dusk on a clear evening and stayed there until dark. He held his electronic distress signal by hand while standing near the bow of his 26-foot center console. Not a single nearby boater responded to his faux emergency.
Rmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 08:01 AM   #13
Linesider82

I have one, like stated above, it's big. I used the float for my boga bouy ... Not certain it would float it or just slow the decent. Not carrying flares is nice.
Linesider82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 08:38 AM   #14
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Time to revisit this. Be launching very soon, like three days.

So is the $70.00 ACR unit the way to go? (and just keep the out of date pyro flares onboard as well)

ACR ELECTRONICS–ResQFlare LED Electronic Distress Flare is the one I was looking at...

Old 07-22-2021, 09:32 AM   #15
Linesider82

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfighter View Post
Time to revisit this. Be launching very soon, like three days.

So is the $70.00 ACR unit the way to go? (and just keep the out of date pyro flares onboard as well)

ACR ELECTRONICS–ResQFlare LED Electronic Distress Flare is the one I was looking at...
Ross I asked my CG friends about these because I got one for the same reason and they said it covers the regulation as long as you also have a daytime distress orange flag. Mine came with an orange flag, I mounted an out of the way holder for a flag pole under my leaning post.
Linesider82 is offline   Reply With Quote