Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 12-19-2008, 01:39 PM   #1
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Just another deep thought on

yup, the thing I cannot get over, Rev. Wright.
lets start with my usual disclaimers, I am not religious and belong to no church.
Wasnt it interesting how the left thought Rev. Wright was no big deal, how his claims about the US govt creating AIDS, his US of KKK, his god damn america, where just a guy voicing things that most white people dont understand.
Now Obama get Rick Warren to lead his innauguration and look out for the $hit storm from the left! How dare he get somone that doesnt share THEIR values! its ok to make racist comments that offend 99% of Americans, but hey you cant be against gay marriage!My main beyotch out here has been the hypocrasy of the left,,,,,,give this a read....where was this lady when Rev. Right was in the news?

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/12/...ren/index.html

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 12-19-2008, 02:19 PM   #2
Joe

I liked your post about how great I am better.

Old 12-19-2008, 02:41 PM   #3
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Joe, please read the article, tell me if Im am imagining this?
her whole premis is that Obama should be uniting and should do so by making his supporters happy? 49% of all Americans voted against him!

Old 12-19-2008, 03:04 PM   #4
spence

She looks to be pretty liberal, why is it odd that she would offer said critique???

Have you come to grips with the fact that Obama won yet? You're acting pretty wierd.

-spence
Old 12-19-2008, 03:16 PM   #5
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Spence, my point is that liberals say they are open minded, say they are for free thought, however, its only when you agree with them.

Old 12-19-2008, 03:43 PM   #6
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post
Spence, my point is that liberals say they are open minded, say they are for free thought, however, its only when you agree with them.
I think you're confusing diversity with tolerance.

-spence
Old 12-19-2008, 04:09 PM   #7
striperman36
Old Guy

I think he is just in denial.
Old 12-19-2008, 04:38 PM   #8
spence

You could be right...

And RIJ, it's not that the left didn't think Wright was a big deal...I think most people agree he's pretty wacko. But what people didn't see was a lasting negative imprint on Obama.

I'm sure as a spiritual mentor Wright could have been a very good leader. The biblical context for a lot of his rants when taken in whole does make quite a bit of sense. It's the political ranting that got most of the attention, and I don't see any of this in Obama's own behavior.

I'd note that not once did I hear anyone label Wright as a nutcase for his belief that all killing was wrong in God's eye.

-spence
Old 12-19-2008, 09:55 PM   #9
Joe

Obama joined the right church to get where he wanted to get quickly - for a black guy looking to get into Chicago politics, there was no other choice. Yes, the black church is militant and there are some fringe preachers out there.
Now, Obama's aligning himself with another minister for different political ends.
Later, he'll probably align himself with someone else.
Don't kid yourself, Obama prays at the Church of Obama. He sees ministers as minor supporting players in the movie he's starring in.

I read the article.
Political Negatives: Rick Warren delivering the invocation will alienate the far left elements of the Obama camp and anger far right evangelicals - two groups that are intractably aligned with their respective parties.
Positives: Rick Warren's ministry is much more mainstream than any other evangelical since Billy Graham - it contains many moderates. This move shows that Obama is willing to make a gesture to evangelicals, a page from the Bill Clinton playbook.
Opinion: I see it as a wise political move. The people on the right who would never side with Obama because he is pro-choice are never coming anyway, and the people on the far left have nowhere to leave to. Moderate democrats see it as a non-issue.
This move is clearly aimed at creating a relationship with with moderate evangelicals. At the end of the day it will only be marginally successful to that end, but he'll be able to say that he is reaching out.

Last edited by Joe; 12-19-2008 at 10:02 PM..

Old 12-20-2008, 11:23 AM   #10
Nebe

Quote:
liberals are very intolerent of one thing. I will give you one guess and that thing is listed in this post.
Old 12-22-2008, 06:57 AM   #11
buckman

Quote:

You nailed it. They have little tolerance for people that do not agree with them and put a label on you if you don't.
Old 12-22-2008, 08:17 AM   #12
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
You nailed it. They have little tolerance for people that do not agree with them and put a label on you if you don't.
Like what label - Anti American?? You just had a VP candidate who labeled parts of the country "Pro American" as if the other parts were anti American!!! I didn't see her party denouncing her. Calling anyone or parts of the country anti American is about as low as you can go.
Old 12-22-2008, 08:34 AM   #13
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
Wow, I never would have taken you for a Liberal.....

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."