Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 01-08-2009, 02:51 PM   #1
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

So what do you think about-

Obama's economy stimulus plan he rolled out today?

I ask what is the rush, are we really in that dire straits that we have to rush through a trillion dollar spending plan needing to be past in the next few months?

" Choose Life "
Old 01-08-2009, 04:17 PM   #2
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

I think all this bailout talk needs to stop immediately.
The US govt owes a ton of money already, how does borrowing some more and then giving it to people (even those that dont pay taxes!!!) so they can spend it help? It further devalues the dollar. I think we are in bad shape, but I think the cure may end up being much worse than the disease. The focus should be on job creation

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 01-08-2009, 04:33 PM   #3
fishbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post
I think all this bailout talk needs to stop immediately.
The US govt owes a ton of money already, how does borrowing some more and then giving it to people (even those that dont pay taxes!!!) so they can spend it help? It further devalues the dollar. I think we are in bad shape, but I think the cure may end up being much worse than the disease. The focus should be on job creation

Well put, Jimmy.

I agree about the jobs, but there are still companies hiring. I interviewed a woman for a Manager position today. You would think during times when good jobs are scarce, people would put their best foot forward. Not this person. Shows up to the interview in JEANS AND A DIRTY EFFIN' SWEATSHIRT! What the hell is wrong with people?

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
Old 01-08-2009, 05:03 PM   #4
Raven

a trillion is the new billion
Old 01-09-2009, 09:58 AM   #5
Fishpart
Keep The Change

I work in a shop that provides 45 good jobs with healthcare. Only gonna take a little more "economic stimulus" for the owner to close up retire and put 45 more productive people on the public dole.

The only thing handouts do is move money from here to China in the form of people using the govermnet check to buy low cost goods.....

Lets make some good paying manufacturing jobs that add value to materials every step of the way and in turn generate wealth...

“It’s not up to the courts to invent new minorities that get special protections,” Antonin Scalia
Old 01-09-2009, 11:16 AM   #6
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

[QUOTE=Fishpar

Lets make some good paying manufacturing jobs that add value to materials every step of the way and in turn generate wealth...[/QUOTE]

I agree $%100 and free enterprise can do it, but Obama said yesterday TWICE, the government is the only one that can get our economy on track with his new? recovery and reinvestment plan. He considers the trillion dollar plan a Boost. WTH, how much more $$$ is he going to ask for?

More government, more people dependent on government, more government intervention, more taxes, less incentive, and less home rule.

Imo,except for our armed forces, i can't think of many programs the government hasn't screwed up at some level and i don't see any change except spend more and create more bureaucrats who produce nothing.

" Choose Life "
Old 01-09-2009, 11:41 AM   #7
Joe

Free Market purists don't believe in government spending as method of stimulating an economy in recession. Most economists, left and right, disagree.

Old 01-09-2009, 12:41 PM   #8
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
Free Market purists don't believe in government spending as method of stimulating an economy in recession. Most economists, left and right, disagree.
Joe, this is different. The government is not spending, its borrowing and spending. BIG difference. By increasing the amount of cash in the market, you decrease the value of that cash.
This stimulation is artificial, we are pouring gasoline on the fire, when we need a slow burning log. There is no quick and easy fix and the message should be that this will take a long time to recover, but we'll be stronger when we do.

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 01-09-2009, 01:50 PM   #9
EarnedStripes44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven View Post
a trillion is the new billion
...and in the short term, inflation doesnt seem to be an issue. 2010 could be different matter though.
Old 01-09-2009, 02:06 PM   #10
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

[QUOTE=RIJIMMY;65306 There is no quick and easy fix and the message should be that this will take a long time to recover, but we'll be stronger when we do.[/QUOTE]

That's the problem, our society has become a quick fix at any cost, charge it, i want it now.

Even these so called bail outs are formulated in a matter of days.

" Choose Life "
Old 01-09-2009, 02:19 PM   #11
Joe

I know they will be borrowing to spend, they can't very well tax and spend, and there's no surplus like when Bill Clinton left office.

And I agree that some spending will be outright wasted and other spending will be less effective. The FDR "First 100 Days" model was to launch multiple schemes simultaneously and then abandon less effective stimuli and increase what worked. What we'll be seeing is very similar - many iniatives, launched at once.

Inflation is always a risk - but we're in a deflationary cycle for now. To spend too little, or to try only one or two things at a time, and then wait for results, is a bigger risk because then you could be headed for a more protracted and deeper recession, in my opinion.

Old 01-09-2009, 06:12 PM   #12
spence

I agree with Joe that economists do seem to favor FDR style stimulus.

I have no issues with the Dems rewriting TARP. The first bill was passed in a rush and appears to be full of insane dysfunction.

Like the simple matter that the people have no clue what's happened to the money.