Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 10-25-2019, 09:33 PM   #1
Pete F.
Canceled

The cost to have a Stable Genius

BREAKING: The US deficit hit $984 billion in FY2019, Treasury says, marking a nearly 50% increase under Trump.

Trump promised to eliminate federal debt in 8 years. Instead, it has been growing in his reign.

2019: $984bn
2018: $779 bn
2017: $665 bn
2016: $584 bn
2015: $442 bn

The long con is pretty impressive, don’t worry Mexico or China will pay for it thru tariffs

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 10-25-2019, 09:48 PM   #2
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
BREAKING: The US deficit hit $984 billion in FY2019, Treasury says, marking a nearly 50% increase under Trump.

Trump promised to eliminate federal debt in 8 years. Instead, it has been growing in his reign.

The long con is pretty impressive, don’t worry Mexico or China will pay for it thru tariffs
Congress spends the money.
Old 10-26-2019, 06:37 AM   #3
Jim in CT

Quote:

just out of curiosity, why didn’t you include obamas deficits from 2009-2014? you posted all of trumps
deficits,?so why do you exclude the first 6 years of obamas deficits?

we all know the answer...

you do have a point, trumps deficits are a serious problem, and he should be held to task. but obama
racked up more debt than any president in history before him, let’s not make him out to be frugal.

that was some serious cherry picking.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 10-26-2019, 06:52 AM   #4
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
just out of curiosity, why didn’t you include obamas deficits from 2009-2014? you posted all of trumps
deficits,?so why do you exclude the first 6 years of obamas deficits?

we all know the answer...

you do have a point, trumps deficits are a serious problem, and he should be held to task. but obama
racked up more debt than any president in history before him, let’s not make him out to be frugal.

that was some serious cherry picking.
Maybe you should look at your posts from the Obama tenure and make sure that your incessant whining included his predecessors errant behavior?

Or are you just being hypocritical?

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Lets Go Darwin
Old 10-26-2019, 06:55 AM   #5
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
Congress spends the money.
Actually in this country Congress appropriates the money and the President spends it.

Lets Go Darwin
Old 10-26-2019, 08:26 AM   #6
Jim in CT

Quote:
Maybe you should look at your posts from the Obama tenure and make sure that your incessant whining included his predecessors errant behavior?

Or are you just being hypocritical?
I give Obama good marks for righting the economy and for dealing with terror. I have no problem with doing that, because I am in the enviable position of happily going wherever the facts take me, because I'm not blindly married to one side or the other, I recognize there's good and bad on both sides. I don't have to resist or deny all facts that don't serve my limited agenda. That must be exhausting.

Can you answer my question? Why were you so selective about which of Obama's annual deficits you compared to Trumps?
Old 10-26-2019, 09:34 AM   #7
detbuch

Quote:
Actually in this country Congress appropriates the money and the President spends it.
The congressional appropriations are expenses. They are "spending." "The story of the modern budget process begins in 1974 with the Budget Control and Impoundment Act (the Act). The law’s purpose is to make sure Congress knows exactly what it is spending and to make sure the president is following the spending directives from Congress."
https://www.mercatus.org/publication...what’s-process
Old 10-26-2019, 09:42 AM   #8
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
I give Obama good marks for righting the economy and for dealing with terror. I have no problem with doing that, because I am in the enviable position of happily going wherever the facts take me, because I'm not blindly married to one side or the other, I recognize there's good and bad on both sides. I don't have to resist or deny all facts that don't serve my limited agenda. That must be exhausting.

Can you answer my question? Why were you so selective about which of Obama's annual deficits you compared to Trumps?
You’re the one worried about the past, you should wish that Trump looked at history even a little bit
The only selection I made is that Obama is Trumps starting point.
Nothing more than that.
He inherited a growing GDP, a dropping unemployment rate, a rising Market and a dropping trade deficit and claims credit for all.
Look at the Stable Genius’s tweets whining about Obama actions that he has himself far exceeded.
Look behind the curtain as he said the other day, he has no team, he is the team.

Lets Go Darwin
Old 10-26-2019, 10:12 AM   #9
detbuch

Quote:
You’re the one worried about the past, you should wish that Trump looked at history even a little bit
Nothing more than that.
He inherited a growing GDP, a dropping unemployment rate, a rising Market and a dropping trade deficit and claims credit for all.
Look at the Stable Genius’s tweets whining about Obama actions that he has himself far exceeded.
Look behind the curtain as he said the other day, he has no team, he is the team.
See, you are fooled by not understanding how Trump speaks. Especially when responding to a barrage of different questions by different press members just before bording a helicopter when there was no time for lengthy detailed responses, just his usual clipped statements. What did he mean by he has no team? Was he referring to members of his "team" being implicated in the impeachment process? That the whole move to remove him, including impeachment, were an attack on him? That the concerted effort was always about him and him alone in every different instance from the Strzok "insurance policy, to the collusion probe, the obstruction allegations, and emoluments clauses, and Syria, etc., all of which involved different people not a single team? In that concerted and continuous effort to remove him, it was about him, he was the object, or, as Trump said in his inimitable way, the team.

Otherwise, what did he mean by referring to the importance of teamwork and his various teams in the past, such as Gowdy "will be a great asset as a member of our team." Which unfortunately didn't happen.
Old 10-26-2019, 10:43 AM   #10
Jim in CT

Quote:
Nothing more than that.
"You’re the one worried about the past"

You're the one here, who posted historical deficits for Obama. I merely asked why you didn't go all the way back to 2009 0r 2010. The answer, is that in those years, Obama had the highest deficits ever recorded, and those facts didn't support the point you were trying to make. SO rather than draw a conclusion which fits the facts, you start with your conclusion, and cherry pick facts which support it, and ignore facts which don't. I find that amusing, because you're smart enough to know what you're doing.
Old 10-26-2019, 10:54 AM   #11
Jim in CT

Quote:
Nothing more than that.
Obama inherited a rough economy (although he was in the Senate, not a complete outsider) and helped fix it, no question.

Trump took that, made some big changes (tax cuts and eliminating regulations) and poured rocket fuel on the fire Obama started.

I can happily admit they both implemented things which (1) are consistent with their ideology, and (2) which helped the economy. You make it sound like all Trump did, was let Obama's momentum continue. You're lying.
Old 10-26-2019, 11:55 AM   #12
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Obama inherited a rough economy (although he was in the Senate, not a complete outsider) and helped fix it, no question.

Trump took that, made some big changes (tax cuts and eliminating regulations) and poured rocket fuel on the fire Obama started.

I can happily admit they both implemented things which (1) are consistent with their ideology, and (2) which helped the economy. You make it sound like all Trump did, was let Obama's momentum continue. You're lying.
Trumps tax cuts fueled the deficit
You are lying to yourself

Lets Go Darwin
Old 10-26-2019, 12:07 PM   #13
scottw

rising Democrat star Rep. Katie Hill is a wild one huh?
Old 10-26-2019, 01:37 PM   #14
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
rising Democrat star Rep. Katie Hill is a wild one huh?
Clothing optional office

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 10-26-2019, 01:40 PM   #15
Jim in CT

Quote:
Trumps tax cuts fueled the deficit
You are lying to yourself
And how about Obama's stimulus, which he said would keep unemployment below 8%, and it then shot to 10%? That $750 billion stimulus, that didn't add to the deficit? His policy of quantitative easing didn't add to the deficit?

Obamacare didn't add to the deficit?

Since you brought this up but are still denying mathematical facts, here all the annual deficits for the last few years, without any cherry picking, because I'm not trying to prove a partisan point...

2019 - $960 billion budget deficit (projected)
2018 - $779 billion budget deficit
2017 - $665 billion budget deficit
2016 - $585 billion budget deficit
2015 - $439 billion budget deficit
2014 - $514 billion budget deficit
2013 - $719 billion budget deficit
2012 - $1.1 trillion budget deficit
2011 - $1.3 trillion budget deficit
2010 - $1.3 trillion budget deficit
2009 - $1.4 trillion budget deficit
2008 - $455 billion budget deficit

SO you tell me Pete, who is responsible for the largest deficits? What do the facts tell you? If I posted unemployment by year, that would also send you running to hide under your bed.

Who is lying? Gimme a break...
Old 10-26-2019, 03:09 PM   #16
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
Clothing optional office
Katie, AOC, Tulsi....I'm starting to like the democrat party
Old 10-26-2019, 04:26 PM   #17
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
Katie, AOC, Tulsi....I'm starting to like the democrat party
They should make a fundraising video.

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 10-26-2019, 04:51 PM   #18
spence

Quote:
And how about Obama's stimulus, which he said would keep unemployment below 8%, and it then shot to 10%? That $750 billion stimulus, that didn't add to the deficit? His policy of quantitative easing didn't add to the deficit?

Obamacare didn't add to the deficit?

Since you brought this up but are still denying mathematical facts, here all the annual deficits for the last few years, without any cherry picking, because I'm not trying to prove a partisan point...

2019 - $960 billion budget deficit (projected)
2018 - $779 billion budget deficit
2017 - $665 billion budget deficit
2016 - $585 billion budget deficit
2015 - $439 billion budget deficit
2014 - $514 billion budget deficit
2013 - $719 billion budget deficit
2012 - $1.1 trillion budget deficit
2011 - $1.3 trillion budget deficit
2010 - $1.3 trillion budget deficit
2009 - $1.4 trillion budget deficit
2008 - $455 billion budget deficit

SO you tell me Pete, who is responsible for the largest deficits? What do the facts tell you? If I posted unemployment by year, that would also send you running to hide under your bed.

Who is lying? Gimme a break...
So what you’re saying is that Obama, who inherited a record deficit, yet managed to slash it dramatically over his term, which was passed to Trump, who even with a strong economy has managed to get us back to a trillion dollar deficit.

I’ve got that right?
Old 10-26-2019, 05:06 PM   #19
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post

Obama, who inherited a record deficit, yet managed to slash it dramatically over his term,

this is so dumb
Old 10-26-2019, 05:08 PM   #20
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
So what you’re saying is that Obama, who inherited a record deficit, yet managed to slash it dramatically over his term, which was passed to Trump, who even with a strong economy has managed to get us back to a trillion dollar deficit.

I’ve got that right?
Obama inherited (again, he was in the US Senate, he didn't walk in off the street, but OK) a lousy economy and two wars. SO no one can expect him not to spend some money. But the stimulus was a $750B flop (I don't know a single person who benefitted from it, and even Obama laughed that he was way off about projects being shovel ready), and Obamacare is also his to own for good and bad.

Trump inherited good momentum, he did things differently, and has brought deficits way back up. I never denied that. But I also know a ton of people who have personally benefitted from Trumps spending, at least.

I'm not denying, conflating, or cherry picking. I don't have to, because unlike you, I can happily admit the good things the other side does and the stupid things my side does. You of all people aren't capable of that, not even close.
Old 10-26-2019, 05:35 PM   #21
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Trump inherited good momentum, he did things differently, and has brought deficits way back up. I never denied that. But I also know a ton of people who have personally benefitted from Trumps spending, at least.
For the moment, remember the middle class tax cuts expire shortly, the deficit is increasing in an economic expansion and fewer people have health insurance which will shift costs onto those who do, further raising rates in a upward spiral and making it less affordable.
So what’s left when the inevitable downturn occurs?
And you said some people did something.

Lets Go Darwin
Old 10-26-2019, 05:37 PM   #22
Sea Dangles

The second term will be the feather.
Old 10-26-2019, 06:39 PM   #23
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dangles View Post
The second term will be the feather.
🍑🤡

Lets Go Darwin
Old 10-26-2019, 07:00 PM   #24
Jim in CT

Quote:
For the moment, remember the middle class tax cuts expire shortly, the deficit is increasing in an economic expansion and fewer people have health insurance which will shift costs onto those who do, further raising rates in a upward spiral and making it less affordable.
So what’s left when the inevitable downturn occurs?
And you said some people did something.
"remember the middle class tax cuts expire shortly"

I'm confident they'll be renewed, but having them for a while is a lot better than never having them.

"the deficit is increasing in an economic expansion"

That's bad, as I've said.

"fewer people have health insurance which will shift costs onto those who do, further raising rates in a upward spiral and making it less affordable"

I wasn't aware that when Obamacare added more people to insurance rolls, that lowered the cost for those who already had private insurance. In fact, I know for a fact that's not what happened. Quite the opposite in fact, because people on the exchanges had low reimbursement rates to health care providers, meaning they had to charge higher rates to those in the private sector. Spiraling medical costs are not caused by one party or the other.
Old 10-26-2019, 07:10 PM   #25
detbuch

Quote:
"remember the middle class tax cuts expire shortly"

I'm confident they'll be renewed, but having them for a while is a lot better than never having them.

"the deficit is increasing in an economic expansion"

That's bad, as I've said.

"fewer people have health insurance which will shift costs onto those who do, further raising rates in a upward spiral and making it less affordable"

I wasn't aware that when Obamacare added more people to insurance rolls, that lowered the cost for those who already had private insurance. In fact, I know for a fact that's not what happened. Quite the opposite in fact, because people on the exchanges had low reimbursement rates to health care providers, meaning they had to charge higher rates to those in the private sector. Spiraling medical costs are not caused by one party or the other.
And Congress is responsible for the deficit.
Old 10-26-2019, 08:27 PM   #26
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
And Congress is responsible for the deficit.
Since apparently Trump bears no responsibility for anything why is he so important to you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 10-26-2019, 09:07 PM   #27
detbuch

Quote:
Since apparently Trump bears no responsibility for anything why is he so important to you?
"no responsibility for anything"--again with the extremism.
Old 10-26-2019, 10:50 PM   #28
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
They should make a fundraising video.
ooooooh....boy