Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 05-19-2010, 09:54 AM   #1
Mr. Sandman

Not a soccer player but check out this goal

A fantastic 45-yard free kick from Paraguay - Dirty Tackle - World Soccer - Yahoo! Sports
Mr. Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 10:22 AM   #2
luds
Night Stalker

That's just poor goalkeeping.

Who's ready for the world cup????????

Here's a brilliant goal from Maicon. Inter is on Fox this Saturday vs. Bayern Munich. Hopefully they stick it to those damn Germans.

luds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 10:25 AM   #3
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by luds View Post
That's just poor goalkeeping.

Who's ready for the world cup????????

Here's a brilliant goal from Maicon. Inter is on Fox this Saturday vs. Bayern Munich. Hopefully they stick it to those damn Germans.

What's the World Cup?
JohnnyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 10:46 AM   #4
luds
Night Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post
What's the World Cup?
I'm shocked to see a negative response to soccer.

It's a significant event this year even if you don't like soccer because the US and England are playing in the first round. If you don't think it's significant ask Al-Queda about it.

Old 05-19-2010, 11:16 AM   #5
Nebe

anyone here watch 'the great match' on netflix? best movie ever.. about the world cup.
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 11:17 AM   #6
Tattoo

My bet is Inter will win and Mourihno will leave and coach Madrid as all the money they spent left them with good players that dont play well together and can't win trophies.

Hard to beleive Maradonas picks for Argentina. Zannetti gets overlooked? What! Diego, your not doing lines of blow again are you?

England vs. USA will be a historic battle. I'd have to go with England though especially if Rooney is in top form.

If Fabragas is good to play, as well as Torres, Spain should win the cup.
Tattoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 11:20 AM   #7
Tattoo

Poor form on the keeper with that goal. Nasari had an awesome goal back in late March I believe where he snaked his way through 3 defenders and ripped it past the keeper to the back of the net. Very impressive.

Nani also had a great one mid season where he had two defenders on him and he flicks the ball up between the two of them, runs around one, and drills it home. Awesome stuff!
Old 05-19-2010, 11:31 AM   #8
luds
Night Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tattoo View Post
My bet is Inter will win and Mourihno will leave and coach Madrid as all the money they spent left them with good players that dont play well together and can't win trophies.

Hard to beleive Maradonas picks for Argentina. Zannetti gets overlooked? What! Diego, your not doing lines of blow again are you?

England vs. USA will be a historic battle. I'd have to go with England though especially if Rooney is in top form.

I think you're right about Mourihno. Especially after his comments on the Italian game. I'd love to see that. They're amazing but I just can't stand Barcelona for some reason. Anything to give a nod to Real over them would be great. Obviously agree with the blow comments on Maradona too. That's a no brainer.

Hoping the US tops England but I would also love to see England do well in the tournament. I like David James and would like to see him have success after what he's gone through at Portsmouth.

Old 05-19-2010, 11:47 AM   #9
beaver

Def poor goal tending, but give the shooter credit. Being able to hit the ball from there, at that velocity without sending it over is something else.

I'm guessing either Spain or Brazil will win it. Can't count out the experience of the Italians too early, but they will have to face either Spain or Brazil in the quarters?? if they survive.

I don't follow too closely.
beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 11:51 AM   #10
Tattoo

I prefer Barca over Madrid. Madrid just seems so arrogant with there purchases of anyone and everyone for any price. I can't see how the Madrid could accept CR9 with the 80 million transfer fee and still function as a unified team. I think there might be some jealousy with Ronaldo and the other team mates. Maybe it's just me.

If the rumors are true and Fabragas goes to Barca next season they will be unstopable!

My son will be crushed if Fabragas does go as he wrote him a letter this year and received a response from the club. I just figured I'd put a few stamps on it and see what happens. Two weeks later we get a large envelope in the mail from Arsenal FC. A thank you letter from the club, autographed pic of Cesc, and a team roster with the history of the club. Very cool and my son thought it was Xmas again.
Old 05-19-2010, 11:53 AM   #11
Tattoo

You can't ever count out Brazil. They've won it 5 times, and they produce more world class footballers than anywhere in the world.

Kaka has to be fit, as without him they lack a quality playmaker.
Old 05-19-2010, 11:55 AM   #12
numbskull
Oblivious // Grunt, Grunt Master

Quote:

As good as Fabergas is, I think Xavi starts ahead of him, probably with Iniesta alongside again (as in Euro 2008).

The World Cup is the most fascinating (and competitive) sporting event on the planet. Makes the Superbowl seem like an informercial...and a dreary one at that.
numbskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 12:08 PM   #13
luds
Night Stalker

Quote:
I prefer Barca over Madrid. Madrid just seems so arrogant with there purchases of anyone and everyone for any price. I can't see how the Madrid could accept CR9 with the 80 million transfer fee and still function as a unified team. I think there might be some jealousy with Ronaldo and the other team mates. Maybe it's just me.

If the rumors are true and Fabragas goes to Barca next season they will be unstopable!

My son will be crushed if Fabragas does go as he wrote him a letter this year and received a response from the club. I just figured I'd put a few stamps on it and see what happens. Two weeks later we get a large envelope in the mail from Arsenal FC. A thank you letter from the club, autographed pic of Cesc, and a team roster with the history of the club. Very cool and my son thought it was Xmas again.
Cool story. You seem like a pretty devoted fan to the game.

What I really want to know is when are cable providers going to pick up the soccer channels in HD?

Old 05-19-2010, 12:09 PM   #14
fishbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by numbskull View Post
The World Cup is the most fascinating (and competitive) sporting event on the planet. Makes the Superbowl seem like an informercial...and a dreary one at that.
It's the only soccer I watch. Nothing better than going to the North End in Boston when the Italians are playing. Every cafe and bar is packed and crazy during the games. There are no more passionate fans of any sport than soccer (football) fans.
fishbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 12:11 PM   #15
Bronko

Agreed. The world cup is an amazing event, and for soccer nuts it is Nirvana. Whether you like soccer or not watching the best at the top of their game in any sport is a pleasure. Many people still rave about Ronaldo, but right now Lionel Messi is my favorite, its a treat to watch his pace, vision and finishing skills...

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope. ~John Buchan
Bronko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 12:13 PM   #16
Bronko

Quote:
Cool story. You seem like a pretty devoted fan to the game.

What I really want to know is when are cable providers going to pick up the soccer channels in HD?
I started getting the Premiership games in HD on Sunday Mornings. ESPN2 around March of this year. Foxsoccer channel is great, but not in HD.

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope. ~John Buchan
Bronko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 12:19 PM   #17
Mr. Sandman

My God! I opened a can-o-worms. I don't even like the game. I'll just unsubscribe and let you guys discuss it.

bye
Mr. Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 12:43 PM   #18
luds
Night Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Sandman View Post
My God! I opened a can-o-worms. I don't even like the game. I'll just unsubscribe and let you guys discuss it.

bye

Thanks for kicking it off!

Old 05-19-2010, 01:13 PM   #19
Tattoo

Luds -

Played a bit when I was younger and had just made it to a Pele' team when all came to a screatching hault. Pele' team was like a club soccer team back then, not your ordinary town league. Bones grew to fast and intense pain when I ran around caused me to make the decision to either continue to play and not possibly not be able to walk later in life or quit playing (according to dr). I decided to continue to play but parents had other thoughts. Sports were out of the question at 10 years old and I began to hate everything about them as I couldnt play. I found a fishing rod one day and things went down hill when from there when Dad bought me a fly tying kit for xmas when I was 12. Fishing took the place of sports throughout middle school and high school all thanks to Dad.

I've since found a renewed interest in the game with my son being a sponge absorbing everything he possibly can about the game and playing. Practice 3 times a week with games on Sunday and he will be in the Blackwatch Premeir Academey come fall. He'll be 8 in September and wonders if he's going to start in the Premeir League like Rooney did at 16 on Everton. Anything is possible I suppose.

Was planning on going to see United play in PA when they come in July but the cost of the trip was just a biot much for a 90 minute game. Plus I doubt they would bring all the heavy hitters with the world cup going on.

Numbskull - I'd have to agree, but Messi and Fabragas played together in Barca youth team. A special bond there and I think Cesc could blend right in to the starting team fairly quickly .

Oh and FOX Soccer is in HD on Cox cable. Not sure about GoalTV though.
Old 05-19-2010, 02:20 PM   #20
buckman

The only thing more gay would be Avatar.. JK
buckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 02:39 PM   #21
mosholu
Mosholu

While Messi and Cesc did play on the youth team at Barca, Cesc would not start in the current Barca line up unless they changes their formation to a 4-4-2 instead of the current 4-3-3. With their current midfield of Xavi, Andres Iniesta and Sergio Busquets, with Busquets playing the defensive role he just does not making the starting 11. As an Arsenal supporter I may be biased but I do not know why he would be so anxious to go there at the present time to ride the pine when he could stay at Arsenal as captain of one of Europe's top clubs.
mosholu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 02:40 PM   #22
JohnnyD

Quote:
I'm shocked to see a negative response to soccer.

It's a significant event this year even if you don't like soccer because the US and England are playing in the first round. If you don't think it's significant ask Al-Queda about it.
Cut the size of the field in half and maybe I'd be more interested. I just find soccer to be so boring.
Old 05-19-2010, 02:48 PM   #23
luds
Night Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post
Cut the size of the field in half and maybe I'd be more interested. I just find soccer to be so boring.
It's definitely seems to be a sport that you either love or hate. Especially if you're an american. If you don't appreciate the subtle stuff forget about it and the product in the US just isn't there yet. I do think it's getting better fairly quickly though.

Old 05-19-2010, 02:54 PM   #24
luds
Night Stalker

Quote:
Luds -

Played a bit when I was younger and had just made it to a Pele' team when all came to a screatching hault. Pele' team was like a club soccer team back then, not your ordinary town league. Bones grew to fast and intense pain when I ran around caused me to make the decision to either continue to play and not possibly not be able to walk later in life or quit playing (according to dr). I decided to continue to play but parents had other thoughts. Sports were out of the question at 10 years old and I began to hate everything about them as I couldnt play. I found a fishing rod one day and things went down hill when from there when Dad bought me a fly tying kit for xmas when I was 12. Fishing took the place of sports throughout middle school and high school all thanks to Dad.

I've since found a renewed interest in the game with my son being a sponge absorbing everything he possibly can about the game and playing. Practice 3 times a week with games on Sunday and he will be in the Blackwatch Premeir Academey come fall. He'll be 8 in September and wonders if he's going to start in the Premeir League like Rooney did at 16 on Everton. Anything is possible I suppose.

Was planning on going to see United play in PA when they come in July but the cost of the trip was just a biot much for a 90 minute game. Plus I doubt they would bring all the heavy hitters with the world cup going on.

Numbskull - I'd have to agree, but Messi and Fabragas played together in Barca youth team. A special bond there and I think Cesc could blend right in to the starting team fairly quickly .

Oh and FOX Soccer is in HD on Cox cable. Not sure about GoalTV though.
That's great that you're getting a second chance at it with your son. When I was following the Red Sox religiously with my dad it was probably the closest we've ever been and I'm not sure if I've ever enjoyed anything as much as I did that. Definitely take advantage of every second of it.

Cox must be a RI cable provider. Neither Comcast, Dish, or Direct TV have Fox Soccer in HD but they all play the feed that has the Fox Soccer HD logo in the corner of the screen. Drives me nuts!

Old 05-21-2010, 12:36 PM   #25
fishbones

I was out at a new Mexican Restaurant in town last night and they had soccer on one of the big tv's in the bar area. I don't know what channel the tv was on, but it was definitely a soccer channel and looked to be in HD. May have been a dish as opposed to cable.
fishbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 12:58 PM   #26
american spirit
Formerly the_shocker

great thread

keepah sleepah on that first video. bring on the world cup, but first the champions league final.

MLS was a poor attempt to bring quality soccer to the USA. but it's a start. we need more television coverage on basic cable packages.
american spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 01:17 PM   #27
luds
Night Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_shocker View Post
keepah sleepah on that first video. bring on the world cup, but first the champions league final.

MLS was a poor attempt to bring quality soccer to the USA. but it's a start. we need more television coverage on basic cable packages.
I'm actually pretty impressed with MLS. Give it time.

Old 05-21-2010, 01:31 PM   #28
DZ

I'm another soccer nut - love the WC competition.

Have to root for the Azzurri as my namesake Gianluca Zambrotta (AC Milan) plays for them.

Tattoo - good to see you posting.
Give me a shout sometime.

DZ

DZ
Recreational Surfcaster
"Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your Limit"

Bi + Ne = SB 2

If you haven't heard of the Snowstorm Blitz of 1987 - you someday will.
DZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 07:45 PM   #29
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbones View Post
I was out at a new Mexican Restaurant in town last night and they had soccer on one of the big tv's in the bar area. I don't know what channel the tv was on, but it was definitely a soccer channel and looked to be in HD. May have been a dish as opposed to cable.
I've noticed that a lot of Spanish-speaking people get satellite, probably because there are a lot of international packages that cater to them.

Take a drive through Milford and you'll see a dish on almost every apartment in the downtown area.
Old 05-22-2010, 11:11 AM   #30
american spirit
Formerly the_shocker

Quote:
I'm actually pretty impressed with MLS. Give it time.
it's just tough to watch after seeing a champions league or premiere league game. at least the revolution games, bad touch and not much development from the backfield. and gillete is like a crackerbox, keepers can punt it to the opposite 18. i'll check out taylor twellman again if he's still on the revolution.
american spirit is offline   Reply With Quote