Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 09-21-2005, 01:03 PM   #1
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Cable vs. Direct TV

I’m not much of a TV watcher, we currently have the most basic cable Comcast offers, I think its like $13 a month for channels 2-23, no cable channels other than NECN.
With winter coming and some thing that were taking up a lot of time finally over, I was thinking of getting a better cable option. The only provider in my area is Comcast and for some reason I hate them, not sure why but I feel like they keep raising rates. I was thinking about Direct TV, anyone have any luck with this? I mainly want more channels for travel, history, discovery. That type of stuff.
Thoughts?
RIJIMMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 01:47 PM   #2
rivsie11

I switched to Direct TV last January. With a discount for having verizon dsl, it is about $35 a month with a better selection of channels and much higher picture quality. I've never experienced problems with the signal (I had it installed 2 days before the blizzard and never lost the picture). For me, it has been a much better deal than comcast standard cable, and much cheaper too.
rivsie11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 03:01 PM   #3
redneck24
WTF

love my directtv, will never go back to cable.

diamondbanger
redneck24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 03:14 PM   #4
Slingah

make sure you have a clear shot of the southern sky....I did until the trees grew in and signal is messed up...the meathead kid that installed it did not take that into account as I mentioned and sold me a huge pole to put the dish on stating it would work....I like it but got to move the dish or take down a few branches
Slingah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 03:18 PM   #5
Bass Babe
Registered LUser

Picture this if you will -- it's raining buckets and you just got home from a tiring couple days of vacation. You just want to watch TV. Oh, but you have no signal from your DirecTV dish. So you turn the volume up on the TV as loud as it goes and point it towards the doorway so that you have a chance of hearing the shrill beeps that tell you how strong the signal is that you're receiving. You run out into the yard and start wiggling your dish. Twenty minutes later, soaking wet and frustrated, you have your reception.

Blizzards, snow showers, rainstorms, sprinkles, high winds, breezes, and random events = interrupted or no signal. No local weather on the weather channel. More shopping networks than you can shake a stick at.

I'd go with a good digital cable package if the price isn't debilitating -- it's much more reliable. Plus, you get silly options like being able to check movie times in the area just by pushing a couple buttons on the remote.

The worst day fishing is better than the best day working. ...Wait a minute, my work IS fishing. Sweet.
Bass Babe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 04:54 PM   #6
CJ Johnson

We dumped comcast because they kept raising the price and kept reducing the number of channels. plus we did not like the idea of paying rent for boxes and remotes. Switched to direct TV our bill is 49.99 and we have far more channels. The only time we lose reception is when a violent thunderstorm approaches from the south. There are alot of programing option like parental lock out and personlized channel programing. We will never go back to cable.
CJ Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 06:38 PM   #7
striperman36
Old Guy

DirectTV Outages

How many people lose their reception in inclimate weather? I hear this all the time. Like RIJIMMY I would change in a minute but I keep hearing this stuff.
A lot of people in Mansfield MA have DirectTV, but I haven't switched yet. But with the price of my COMCAST Bill, phone, Cable , and Cable Modem, I am in for like 160 month, way too much for anything like I get back.

Thoughts.
Bill
striperman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 06:53 PM   #8
basswipe

Screw Cox,Comcast and Direct TV.They all suck.
basswipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 07:38 PM   #9
NJTackle
#1 Plug Building Supply

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Johnson
We dumped comcast because they kept raising the price and kept reducing the number of channels. plus we did not like the idea of paying rent for boxes and remotes. Switched to direct TV our bill is 49.99 and we have far more channels. The only time we lose reception is when a violent thunderstorm approaches from the south. There are alot of programing option like parental lock out and personlized channel programing. We will never go back to cable.
I also dumped Comcast as their service got more and more expensive with fewer channels. Their service agents are probably worth less then the service itself. Don't ever try to get anything technical out of them.

As for the service of Direct TV going out during storms, I've had Comcast go out more during storms then my Direct TV. Where do you think Comcast gets their signals from - Satellite!! If there is a storm near you or near their central office what's the difference. You'll still get those nasty outages or picture flickers. I've got an extremely clear shot to the southern sky and get 100% signal strength. That may play a factor when compairing to someone else who may only get 80% or so. During the first few storms we had I thought DirectTV would go out but didn't. Its only during the extremely hard downpours that it may go out for a few seconds, then back on, then out for a few seconds...etc. This may last for just a few minutes, while the REAL heavy stuff comes down. Never had a problem during a snow storm, fog, or just a steady rain.

I switched over 4 years ago and love it! I have 3 rooms equipped with the main Den setup with DirectTV and Tivo - AN EXCELLENT PACKAGE!!!!!!

NJTackle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 08:37 PM   #10
wishiniwuzfishi

get the dish

Direct TV, no doubt. Picture quality alone is enough. Very rarely out even in
storms, and only for a minute or two. TIVO will change your life. When you turn on the TV you don't look thru the guide to "see what's on." With one push of the button you get a list of all YOUR favorite shows. Important numbers to remember: 362, 202, 623 (if yer in NE) oh and don't forget 593 when you are lonely!
wishiniwuzfishi is offline   Reply With Quote