Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Sportsman's Talk

Sportsman's Talk New forum for other outdoor sports. Hunting, shooting, archery, and everything else that has you crawling around with the bugs...

Old 04-06-2015, 10:03 AM   #1
tysdad115

Ty's first IDPA match

I brought Tyler down to Monument beach to try out IDPA for the first time. He loved it, and shot pretty good for a first timer. I believe he smoked another member here who shall go un named...

https://youtu.be/I6J-EUkN9Ds
https://youtu.be/Z5b7kdIrhXA
https://youtu.be/ak4Yb0Abzec
https://youtu.be/8-aNO1MpeRA

Does your incessant whining make you feel better? How about you just shut the hell up and suck it up? It's a fishing forum , so please just stop.
tysdad115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 10:38 AM   #2
Slipknot
Super Moderator

no video of stage 1?

Ty is a very talented shooter, he should do it more

first time IDPA for this nameless member here, the German in me had me going for accuracy before speed, and safety before speed also. I knew I'd be last. Clint Eastwood I am not had fun though

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

1984 was a warning, not a guidebook!

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 10:55 AM   #3
tysdad115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipknot View Post
no video of stage 1?

Ty is a very talented shooter, he should do it more

first time IDPA for this nameless member here, the German in me had me going for accuracy before speed, and safety before speed also. I knew I'd be last. Clint Eastwood I am not had fun though
Stage one sucked! We had a great time,nice shooting with you.

Does your incessant whining make you feel better? How about you just shut the hell up and suck it up? It's a fishing forum , so please just stop.
Old 04-07-2015, 05:57 PM   #4
redlite

Lots of fun. Miss it. What were u guys runnin for guns? And i didnt know bruce was a gun guy too. More for me to chew his ear off about next time i run into him.
You guys need to work on your reloads/ magazine changes and move faster from position to position. Idpa is more about dry fire practice off the range. Just make sure u do magazine drops on a rug. Our hard wood floor in the living room has dings in it from me practicing reloads dropping mags on them. Invest in a better cover garment too. I found that when i was shootin in cool weather a carhart with open pockets worked well cause it was stiff like my vest and with the open pocket was easier to get rid of empty mags without droppin em in the sand.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
redlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 10:33 AM   #5
tysdad115

Mike I was shooting my G34 ,Tyler was shooting my G19. I'm old and slow, and I'm comfortable with that. I told Tyler to go slow through all the stages and to make safety his first priority. We'll eventually get a vest or something that is better for concealment,hell maybe we'll even grow tactical type operator beards together someday. I know going into these I'm not going to win. I just enjoy the shooting. Ty loved it and wants to do more of it, we do dry fire practice around the house but I haven't done any reload practice yet. He's 14 , I don't want him getting bored with it by forcing him to do it.

Old 04-08-2015, 12:10 PM   #6
Rockport24
President - S-B Chapter - Kelly Clarkson Fan Club

That is awesome! He did pretty well!

I want in on this IDPA action, how do I get involved?
Rockport24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 02:57 PM   #7
tysdad115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockport24 View Post
That is awesome! He did pretty well!

I want in on this IDPA action, how do I get involved?
Check with your local club, see if they know anywhere that hosts a match. Unfortunately I don't think you have alot of options up your way but that could change. Or check idpa.com , see if there are any local matches near you.
If you try it and like it you can then join IDPA. You don't need much for equipment, a strong side holster,dual mag carrier and any form of concealment garment like a vest or zip up sweatshirt (gun must be drawn from cover,unless that stage requires a different starting position) .After that you can shoot in a classifier, that will give you your class you shoot in , competing against other shooters in that class. There are different divisions for all types of guns. I tried it once at my club and loved it, I'll shoot in at least two matches a month from now until the weather comes back and shuts it down.
There are other similar types of shooting too, USPSA is like IDPA but has different rules, steel matches etc..whatever it takes to get out and have some fun between the tides!

Old 04-10-2015, 09:15 AM   #8
Rockport24
President - S-B Chapter - Kelly Clarkson Fan Club

yeah my club doesn't do any of it, but thanks for the info. Would it be cool if I came down your way for the next one?
Rockport24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 07:57 PM   #9
tysdad115

Absolutely! Third Saturday in May.
Old 04-10-2015, 08:19 PM   #10
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

You both left eye?
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 04:36 PM   #11
tysdad115

We're both lefty's, he's left eye, I'm right eye..
Old 04-11-2015, 05:18 PM   #12
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Andy, have you tried shooting and holstering from right side?
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 07:53 PM   #13
tysdad115

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfighter View Post
Andy, have you tried shooting and holstering from right side?
I shoot weak hand alot. I'm most comfortable this way.