Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 02-02-2018, 02:51 PM   #1
Jim in CT

Memo is out

The memo seems to state that there would have been no FISA surveillance of Trump without the Steele document, paid for by Clinton. The memo states that the feds knew Steele was desperate to prevent trump from being potus, and that he was in contact with then deputy attorney general Ohr, whose wife worked for Fusion, the company that team Clinton paid to do the opposition research.

A highly dubious document was used to apply for the warrant to spy on team trump (provided by team hilary), and at least some of the people involved had an obvious personal bias.

Not as interesting as who shot JFK, but it seems to contain what the right said it contained. Let the games begin.
Old 02-02-2018, 03:35 PM   #2
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

So 4 fisa judges all were hood winked into approving not once, but renewed surveillance; you must be drinking the Trump coolaid. I'd suggest you go easy on that stuff, it will make you mad, crazy and prone to watching eight hours of TV while tweeting nonsense during commercials.
Old 02-02-2018, 03:37 PM   #3
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post
So 4 fisa judges all were hood winked into approving not once, but renewed surveillance; you must be drinking the Trump coolaid. I'd suggest you go easy on that stuff, it will make you mad, crazy and prone to watching eight hours of TV while tweeting nonsense during commercials.
Jim doesn't realize the FISA application was like 60 pages long. It was all about Steele...he's drunk.
Old 02-02-2018, 03:44 PM   #4
scottw

most interesting memo I've read today....

The DNC is reportedly 'dead broke.'

The Democratic National Committee had a rough 2017, plagued by leadership troubles, internal squabbling, and unflattering reports. To top it off, the party ended the year "dead broke," says The Intercept's Ryan Grim.

The Democratic Party is carrying more than $6 million in debt, according to year-end filings — and has just $6.5 million in the bank. Do the math, and the party is working with just over $400,000 overall. Meanwhile, the Republicans are swimming in pools of money. The Republican National Committee had raised $132 million by the end of 2017 — about twice as much as the DNC — and entered 2018 with almost $40 million to spare, with not a penny of debt.
Old 02-02-2018, 04:03 PM   #5
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
most interesting memo I've read today....

The DNC is reportedly 'dead broke.'

The Democratic National Committee had a rough 2017, plagued by leadership troubles, internal squabbling, and unflattering reports. To top it off, the party ended the year "dead broke," says The Intercept's Ryan Grim.

The Democratic Party is carrying more than $6 million in debt, according to year-end filings — and has just $6.5 million in the bank. Do the math, and the party is working with just over $400,000 overall. Meanwhile, the Republicans are swimming in pools of money. The Republican National Committee had raised $132 million by the end of 2017 — about twice as much as the DNC — and entered 2018 with almost $40 million to spare, with not a penny of debt.
And if you believe in a multi party system that should really scare you.
In the past 50 years the top 10% has gained more and more of the wealth and is getting closer to being able to just buy elections. Look at how much the Kochs have raised for the next election cycle. We are not headed for a good place, with a functioning democracy.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 02-02-2018, 04:11 PM   #6
scottw

it's sad that the democrats do not appear to be benefitting from the Trump Boom.....you'd they could fund raise off of all of this
Old 02-02-2018, 04:12 PM   #7
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
And if you believe in a multi party system that should really scare you.
In the past 50 years the top 10% has gained more and more of the wealth and is getting closer to being able to just buy elections. Look at how much the Kochs have raised for the next election cycle. We are not headed for a good place, with a functioning democracy.
don't forget the Russians
Old 02-02-2018, 04:14 PM   #8
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
"the top 10% has gained more and more of the wealth "

Can't stop that. Would you pass a law saying that once you have a certain net worth, that you can no longer work or invest in the stock market?

"getting closer to being able to just buy elections."

Hilary far outspent Trump last year.

"Look at how much the Kochs have raised for the next election cycle."

How come everyone is concerned about how much the Kochs raise for the GOP, but no one cares how much the labor unions raise for democrats? I hear what you are saying on this, and I would support serious campaign finance reform. But it's also scary that the Koch brothers, who as far as I know have never done anything wrong, are routinely demonized on the floor of Congress by democrats. Would you want your elected officials attacking you like that?
Old 02-02-2018, 03:49 PM   #9
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Jim doesn't realize the FISA application was like 60 pages long. It was all about Steele...he's drunk.
The memo says that it's likely that they would not have sought FISA surveillance, if not for what was in the Steele document, does it not? IF that's true (and maybe it's not), it doesn't matter what else was in there.

I'm sober. You're utterly and completely unable to process that which doesn't serve your agenda.
Old 02-02-2018, 03:44 PM   #10
wdmso

he memos out and no evidence presented just more of the same conspiracies and innuendo

text messages, The Steele dossier, and new target in The Nunes memo Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein

from an article
this somehow proves that the investigation into the Trump campaign’s Russia ties is entirely based on support for Clinton within the FBI and anti-Trump animus.

the memo’s claims are impossible to evaluate without seeing the underlying intelligence it was based on.

so where is the evidence

maybe nunes should look at this time linehttp://billmoyers.com/story/trump-russia-timeline/
Old 02-02-2018, 03:54 PM   #11
Pete F.
Canceled

I think the left out part is the corroborating evidence from sources that should not be identified for intelligence reasons.
I have seen nothing that indicates that Steele would have a reason to be anti Trump.
My understanding is:
Steele was in charge of the MI6 Russian desk for a number of years. He was tasked by a consultant with finding smoke in russia about Trump, He found enough that he called people he knows in intelligence in US and said I see smoke, you should look into this. I have heard that there was purportedly similar calls from others in Intelligence. Would you have sat on it?
Time will tell and so will all the books people write in the next few years.
Just remember as soon as the republicans don't get what they want they will throw him to the wolves. We'll see how the midterms turn out.
Pelle sub agnina latitat mens saepe lupina

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 02-02-2018, 03:57 PM   #12
PaulS

The investigation into Russian collusion had already begun before the Steele doc. became to light. Wray said that the Steele doc. would not be the basis of a FISA application and people are saying that the memo lies about what Wray said. W/o the underlying info. of the FISA application, no one would know what is true. The standards of the court would require more evidence other than the Steele doc or a Yahoo report. That is why this memo is a joke, it makes claims that you and I can't disprove and that is what Schift was so pissed. Should have been released by infowars or Veritas project.

This is all about Rosenstein as he said he wouldn't fire Mueller absent misconduct.

Still no explanation for the Trump team infatuation w/the Russians and why all the meetings and lies about those meetings.

Last edited by PaulS; 02-02-2018 at 04:05 PM..
Old 02-02-2018, 04:10 PM   #13
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
The standards of the court would require more evidence other than the Steele doc .
And you would know this how?
Old 02-02-2018, 04:12 PM   #14
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
And you would know this how?
Everthing that I have read.
Old 02-02-2018, 04:16 PM   #15
Jim in CT

Quote:
Everthing that I have read.
Oh, well if Rachael Maddow wrote that's the case, then by jiminy, that's good enough for me.

I have no idea what the truth is. I am pretty confident that the memo contains pretty much what the GOP said it would contain. I can't say anything about it's validity.
Old 02-02-2018, 04:17 PM   #16
scottw

Quote:
Oh, well if Rachael Maddow wrote that's the case, then by jiminy, that's good enough for me.

I have no idea what the truth is. I am pretty confident that the memo contains pretty much what the GOP said it would contain. I can't say anything about it's validity.
the left clearly overplayed this one....

did Christopher Wray resign yet? oh, that's right that was fake news
Old 02-02-2018, 04:17 PM   #17
PaulS

Quote:

You do seem to have a thing for her given how much you comment on her.
Old 02-02-2018, 04:12 PM   #18
PaulS

There where 3 extensions of the FISA warrant. Those wouldn't have been approved w/there being something there.

This tearing down of our instituions will have long term ramifications.
Old 02-02-2018, 04:15 PM   #19
scottw

Quote:
There where 3 extensions of the FISA warrant. Those wouldn't have been approved w/there being something there.
so where is the there? maybe in the democrat memo?
Old 02-02-2018, 04:19 PM   #20
PaulS

Quote:
so where is the there? maybe in the democrat memo?
That the Trump team had inappropriate contacts with the Russians and have repeatedly lied and then lied again. Have you missed that over the last year? Nothing on the crook Papadappolis.

Why don't they release the Dem. memo so we all can get a full picture and hear both sides of the story.

Seems like the memo has done what it set out to do.
Old 02-02-2018, 04:20 PM   #21
scottw

Quote:
That the Trump team had inappropriate contacts with the Russians and have repeatedly lied and then lied again. Have you missed that over the last year?
sexual harassment? the Russian lawyer was pretty hot
Old 02-02-2018, 04:24 PM   #22
PaulS

Quote:
the Russian lawyer was pretty hot
You and I certainly disagree on some things.
Old 02-02-2018, 04:19 PM   #23
Jim in CT

Quote:

This tearing down of our instituions will have long term ramifications.
What's been torn down, exactly?

I thought the democrats claimed that resistance is healthy? I mean, resistance was racist from 2009 - 2016, but other than that, I thought it was healthy to bring truth to light and to question authority. I guess the value of that, depends on whose ox is getting gored.
Old 02-02-2018, 04:30 PM   #24
PaulS

So how does this memo undermine the Mueller investigation, etc?
Old 02-02-2018, 05:01 PM   #25
Jim in CT

Quote:
So how does this memo undermine the Mueller investigation, etc?
There’s clearly more to the mueller investigation than what’s related to the memo. It doesn’t undermine the entirety of that investigation. It does show that personal political agendas were at play in securing the carter page FISA warrant, imo
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 02-02-2018, 05:04 PM   #26
spence

Quote:
It does show that personal political agendas were at play in securing the carter page FISA warrant, imo
Seriously Jim?
Old 02-02-2018, 05:11 PM   #27
Nebe

We needed this memo to learn that there was some politically motivated agents? We knew that long ago and they were re-assigned. This is nothing more than a shiny object to re-direct the people’s attention.
Old 02-02-2018, 05:12 PM   #28
PaulS

What did Sarah Sanders say last year. if you're attacking the FBI because you're under criminal investigation you're losing.
Old 02-02-2018, 05:13 PM   #29
PaulS

I believe Carter page was under investigation for like 3 years because he was thought to be a Russian agent.
Old 02-02-2018, 05:14 PM   #30
spence

Quote:
I believe Carter page was under investigation for like 3 years because he was thought to be a Russian agent.
Or a stooge...funny how he fit right in with the Trump org.