Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 08-09-2019, 02:26 PM   #1
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Cannons are hard to maneuver and do a number on wood floors.

If having an assault weapon is a god given right why stop there? More firepower the better.

Not many cannon in the neighborhood to worry about, there are people with illegal guns, however. It is necessary to have something approaching necessary levels of home defense that might be brought against you and yours.

The right is for self defense with something you feel reasonable and legal, not what someone - you for example - to decide what is acceptable.

So the problem is a small number of bad individuals per year doing horrific things. Yet you and others like you in gun control, want to blame everyone except the bad individual doing bad things.

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 08-09-2019, 03:07 PM   #2
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
The right is for self defense with something you feel reasonable and legal, not what someone - you for example - to decide what is acceptable.
But the people make the laws. Seems like the majority of the country wants stronger gun laws including an assault weapons ban. Doesn't mean it's easy to implement but that's not an excuse for inaction. Probably would open things up for the broader discussion around gun violence, suicide etc... that the status quo is suppressing.
Old 08-09-2019, 04:10 PM   #3
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post

Seems like the majority of the country wants
.....it appears?
Old 08-11-2019, 11:21 AM   #4
Jim in CT

Quote:
Yet you and others like you in gun control, want to blame everyone except the bad individual doing bad things.
not exactly true, i blame
the shooters, he gun is inanimate, but plays a role
in potential body count without question.
but if we all recognize the existence of bad
people, why not talk about he pros
and cons, not just he cons,
of ideas that reduce ( not eliminate) the damage that some
of the bad people can do.

i hear the pro 2a crowd just as likely to be repeating extremist theories as the gun grabbers.

talk about limiting high capacity magazines, bump stocks, and maybe only allow
guns with fingerprint recognition in the home of someone who’s mentally ill.

those proposals will save some lives. they won’t eliminate gun violence, they won’t turn us into venezuela either.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 08-11-2019, 11:34 AM   #5
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
talk about limiting high capacity magazines,

be specific...limit the capacity? or the number of them you can own?...what is the number?

bump stocks think this has been addressed and I can only think of one instance

and maybe only allow guns with fingerprint recognition in the home of someone who’s mentally ill.

right so to get or own a gun the authorities have to clear everyone in your home for mental illness...that should be easy

didn't the nuts decide a while back that it was too tough to ban guns so they thought they'd just ban bullets...or at least tax them so much that nobody could afford them...should probably give that a whirl again

Last edited by scottw; 08-11-2019 at 11:43 AM..
Old 08-11-2019, 06:15 PM   #6
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
right so to get or own a gun the authorities have to clear everyone in your home for mental illness...that should be easy

didn't the nuts decide a while back that it was too tough to ban guns so they thought they'd just ban bullets...or at least tax them so much that nobody could afford them...should probably give that a whirl again
an initial
conversation doesn’t need
to be specific. How about we talk about it the way every person it work talks
rationally about proposals. i’m this case how many lives would have been saved in the true mass shootings, and whats the cost i. terms of
liberty, and is it worth the cost. is that so scary or crazy?
Old 08-11-2019, 06:21 PM   #7
scottw

Quote:

an initial
to be specific.

yes it does
Old 08-12-2019, 04:28 PM   #8
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
yes it does
never heard of spitballing, eh?
Old 08-13-2019, 06:26 AM   #9
scottw

Quote:
never heard of spitballing, eh?
you need to be specific....

I'm sick of "we need common sense gun legislation" doesn't take a genius to repeat that over and over

you want to ban 100 round clips?...can I own 5 -20 round clips?

what qualifies as mental illness?

if you own guns and have kids at what point as they grow up and exhibit certain behavior do you notify the authorities to come get your guns?

Does the family of a gun owner have to come in every year or two for mental evaluations and background checks?

in order for Adam Lanza's mother to have been required to have fingerprint recognition wouldn't something have to happen to trigger requirement? how does that work?

from PBS

"Before becoming the name behind the tragedy at Sandy Hook Elementary, Adam Lanza was known as a shy boy who was quiet, withdrawn and seemed to recoil from being touched. He played violent video games and went to shooting ranges with his mother, but hardly showed signs of dangerous behavior."
Old 08-12-2019, 04:54 PM   #10
JohnR

Quote:
an initial
to be specific. How about we talk about it the way every person it work talks
rationally about proposals. i’m this case how many lives would have been saved in the true mass shootings, and whats the cost i. terms of
liberty, and is it worth the cost. is that so scary or crazy?

My initial conversation is not specific. I am willing to do additional background checks and mental health screening. That is my hard line.

To get specific, I need to know how how my rights will not be infringed upon by someone that believes if I want to own a gun, I am crazy. Or that I do not agree with them then I must be crazy or unwell.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 08-12-2019, 05:16 PM   #11
Jim in CT

Quote:
My initial conversation is not specific. I am willing to do additional background checks and mental health screening. That is my hard line.

To get specific, I need to know how how my rights will not be infringed upon by someone that believes if I want to own a gun, I am crazy. Or that I do not agree with them then I must be crazy or unwell.
i don’t think anyone is crazy for wanting to own a gun. liz warren might really believe that, and that’s a problem. but if adam lanzas mother was required to have firearms with fingerprint recognition, the town of newton CT would
be a different place.
Old 08-12-2019, 08:15 PM   #12
JohnR

Quote:
i don’t think anyone is crazy for wanting to own a gun. liz warren might really believe that, and that’s a problem. but if adam lanzas mother was required to have firearms with fingerprint recognition, the town of newton CT would
be a different place.

Fingerprint recognition can fail and if you need something for self defense, really need it, it could fail you. Quick scenario, you are out working on the yard, or working out in your house, super sweaty, and someone breaks into your house and you are unable to unlock your firearm, to defend your family, because your hand is all sweaty, or a battery failed.

I would like to see something that can adress the Adam Lanzas of the world so keep it coming.

I am concerned that the Elizabeth Warrens and Kamala Harrises of the world, or their faithful, would fail normal people in order to further their gun control. This is why we need concrete and impartial systems in place to prevent normal people from being unfairly treated.

Before you say that won't happen, think of all the trivial news items that are improperly reported.

Apocalypse is Coming: