Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

     

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container
 

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Rod Building

Rod Building So, you've landed a nice fish on a plug you made, eh? Now, the next step, building your own RODS!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-05-2023, 03:25 PM   #1
Guppy
User
iTrader: (0)
 
Guppy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Cape Cod
Posts: 5,351
what cha think

it's a GSB 120 1 L started a year ago... seat is on, need to add the quides.. Gosa 6K planned.....

do I need underwraps on those single foot guides ?


GSB 120 L .pdf
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 04:15 PM   #2
beamie
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
beamie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Marshfield, MA
Posts: 1,732
I would Gup
Thin size A
And give the underwrap a very thin coat of finish before wrapping the guide. Thinnest you can. I have been doing that on all my rods lately. Seems to stop some of the ‘noise’ from the guides when bending. If you can relate to what I’m saying.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
beamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 06:32 AM   #3
Guppy
User
iTrader: (0)
 
Guppy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Cape Cod
Posts: 5,351
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamie View Post
I would Gup
Thin size A
And give the underwrap a very thin coat of finish before wrapping the guide. Thinnest you can. I have been doing that on all my rods lately. Seems to stop some of the ‘noise’ from the guides when bending. If you can relate to what I’m saying.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Yes, I think I will …..

guide selection and location drives me nuts….

I’d like to finish this rod so I can try to sell the M I have….

Thanks
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 08:30 AM   #4
pbadad
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
pbadad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: North Branford,Ct.
Posts: 7,556
Ray its personal preference. Single foot guides usually dont get an underwrap. I did a couple of my 1201L and carbon surf , mostly for beach fishing single guides and a contrasting color underwrap.To assure a secure bound do not use color preserver. Make sure your first coat absorbs thru the thread before wicking off the excessive on the first coat.
Double foots don't need underwrap but look nicer.
When tapering the guide feet
make sure they're extremely smooth underneath to keep from scratching blank or possibly the underwrap.
If u need help with the guide layout,
let me know what and how many guides you have.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
pbadad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 09:13 AM   #5
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man
iTrader: (0)
 
piemma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 10,493
Blog Entries: 2
I never wrapped a rod as I had Dave at Murats or Charlie and Aaron at CMS who could do a far better job than I.

No boat, back in the suds.
piemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 05:29 PM   #6
Guppy
User
iTrader: (0)
 
Guppy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Cape Cod
Posts: 5,351
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbadad View Post
Ray its personal preference. Single foot guides usually dont get an underwrap. I did a couple of my 1201L and carbon surf , mostly for beach fishing single guides and a contrasting color underwrap.To assure a secure bound do not use color preserver. Make sure your first coat absorbs thru the thread before wicking off the excessive on the first coat.
Double foots don't need underwrap but look nicer.
When tapering the guide feet
make sure they're extremely smooth underneath to keep from scratching blank or possibly the underwrap.
If u need help with the guide layout,
let me know what and how many guides you have.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Awesome
This is included in my original post

http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripert...6&d=1678047802
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 08:22 PM   #7
pbadad
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
pbadad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: North Branford,Ct.
Posts: 7,556
Ray here's a couple layouts.
These layout were for a Spheros5k
& VS 150

KL30 27" from spool shaft tip.fully extended
KL25 14"
KL16 10"
KL12 8"
KT10 6 1/2"
runners KT10 Spaced no greater than 6" you can progressively space runners i.e. 6, 5.3/4, 5 1/2 5.1/4 5" in any combo that works in dimension left from first KT10.

KL25H 24" from ext spool.
KL12H 35.375"
KL8M 45.625"
KT8 54.5" CHOKE
KT8 runners spaced similar to top layout spacing.
TIP is a #10 ring size.
10-10
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
pbadad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023, 06:10 AM   #8
Guppy
User
iTrader: (0)
 
Guppy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Cape Cod
Posts: 5,351
Wow, I’ll look at those.
Thanks Billy
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023, 07:45 AM   #9
pbadad
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
pbadad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: North Branford,Ct.
Posts: 7,556
On the first layout u can change the KL30 to a KW30. I prefer that guidecfirst to minimize transport damage with a large single foot guide.
Nonetheless try either or both layouts an tweak during static test. The stripper locations offer a quiet braid collection . I dont recommend > 30lb braid on the KL25H but the 30mm guides you can go to 40lb. Any greater lb test its 30" or more . With the 6K spool I would assume 30lb braid .
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
pbadad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2023, 07:18 AM   #10
Guppy
User
iTrader: (0)
 
Guppy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Cape Cod
Posts: 5,351
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbadad View Post
On the first layout u can change the KL30 to a KW30. I prefer that guidecfirst to minimize transport damage with a large single foot guide.
Nonetheless try either or both layouts an tweak during static test. The stripper locations offer a quiet braid collection . I dont recommend > 30lb braid on the KL25H but the 30mm guides you can go to 40lb. Any greater lb test its 30" or more . With the 6K spool I would assume 30lb braid .
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Thanks again, I have a KW30 and been thinking of it, my M is set up with that ctrpper then a KL then back to KW’s ……

going to have a tough time getting back to this build , I’ll check back…
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2023, 03:58 PM   #11
Guppy
User
iTrader: (0)
 
Guppy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Cape Cod
Posts: 5,351
I think this is it...

probably leave off the 20....

GSB 120 L 3-11-23 2.pdf
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2023, 04:25 PM   #12
Nebe
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
Nebe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Libtardia
Posts: 21,546
i cut 4" off the tip of my 2 L's and couldnt have been happier in doing so.
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2023, 08:19 PM   #13
pbadad
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
pbadad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: North Branford,Ct.
Posts: 7,556
Ray those guides you have on drawing bullseye perfect. I'm redoing a member 1201L now with that set up. Just the 16 from 25 will open spacing. On that blank , more guides utilize the rod's load better in the butt.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
pbadad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2023, 06:17 AM   #14
Guppy
User
iTrader: (0)
 
Guppy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Cape Cod
Posts: 5,351
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbadad View Post
Ray those guides you have on drawing bullseye perfect. I'm redoing a member 1201L now with that set up. Just the 16 from 25 will open spacing. On that blank , more guides utilize the rod's load better in the butt.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
You made my day…. LOL
now to find time to test….
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2023, 06:36 AM   #15
Guppy
User
iTrader: (0)
 
Guppy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Cape Cod
Posts: 5,351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
i cut 4" off the tip of my 2 L's and couldnt have been happier in doing so.
What did you do with the other 116” ?
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 02:36 PM   #16
beamie
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
beamie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Marshfield, MA
Posts: 1,732
Ray,

This is what I have been doing lately for single foot guides.
This shows 1 thin coat of finish on blue metallic underwear.

Both white and light blue are over wraps.
The white.....once I get to the guide foot, I go on the other side of the
foot for and 1/8" plus or so just to keep the look symmetric. and maybe this locks things in.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2091.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	198.5 KB
ID:	69703  

Jon, 24' Nauset-Green Topsides, Beamie, North River. Channel 68/69. MSBA, NIBA
beamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 08:08 PM   #17
Guppy
User
iTrader: (0)
 
Guppy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Cape Cod
Posts: 5,351
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamie View Post
Ray,

This is what I have been doing lately for single foot guides.
This shows 1 thin coat of finish on blue metallic underwear.

Both white and light blue are over wraps.
The white.....once I get to the guide foot, I go on the other side of the
foot for and 1/8" plus or so just to keep the look symmetric. and maybe this locks things in.
Yowza! Very nice , I definitely don’t have the patience for that good a job,,, but I’ll try,,, nice work mate
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 08:33 PM   #18
pbadad
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
pbadad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: North Branford,Ct.
Posts: 7,556
I do that occassionally. Working on a friends 120L rebuild. Plan on doing a similar with Ice blue underwrap and silver trim. Black.overwrap.
Ray I did another test session with a different layout. K30 KL 25 20 16 12 KT 10's. It's a hybrid combo. With new Fireline 20lb casts great and quiet thru guides.
Static test excellent.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
pbadad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 06:04 AM   #19
Guppy
User
iTrader: (0)
 
Guppy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Cape Cod
Posts: 5,351
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbadad View Post
I do that occassionally. Working on a friends 120L rebuild. Plan on doing a similar with Ice blue underwrap and silver trim. Black.overwrap.
Ray I did another test session with a different layout. K30 KL 25 20 16 12 KT 10's. It's a hybrid combo. With new Fireline 20lb casts great and quiet thru guides.
Static test excellent.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Thanks
That’s pretty much what I’m going with except the 12 is a 10,,, and maybe drop the 20… I dun no ! :-)
Don’t know when I’ll have time for this either, getting the boat ready and working on a 1954 Evinrude that’s just about ready to put back together….

and besides all that, I’ve got a two day a week job that starts April 1 at a marine company….
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2008, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Please use all necessary and proper safety precautions. STAY SAFE Striper Talk Forums
Copyright 1998-20012 Striped-Bass.com