Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » StriperTalk!

StriperTalk! All things Striper

Old 02-09-2024, 06:34 AM   #1
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Weekend Plans

Ho-Hum Bowl, Woke Commercials, and arguing how the adults are in charge - so what's up for the weekend?

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2024, 07:32 AM   #2
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Going to take advantage of warmer weather to get a few carvings coated with timber oil Saturday and if I can get a tee time Sunday get in a round of golf ahead of the big game.
Got Stripers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2024, 07:48 AM   #3
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Painting and cutting some wood for the next cold snap.

No boat, back in the suds.
piemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2024, 10:24 AM   #4
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Woke commercials... how true. And sad.

I have some wall repair work on the other side of the house so the painting can continue. Another coat of mud where I removed an in wall air conditioner.... last summer...
Also have an antique "pie crust" table I have been hired to strip and refinish, so want to strip outside in tomorrow's warm temperatures. The owner wants me to remove the black water mark and refinish ahead of her putting it up for auction.

And then there is the game... which is all about getting some winning squares and some good food.

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2024, 03:44 PM   #5
Hookedagain

Family is at the place up north so when I get out of work in the morning I have the house to myself. Going to continue on the interior and "might" attempt to put the patio door in if my neighbor is around to help position it. They are home Sunday for the game.
Hookedagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 10:54 AM   #6
wdmso

I’ll be looking for these Woke Commercials, lol

Sounds like were becoming our parents angry old and complaining about anything new and different

The days of Budweiser clydesdales parading majestically across your TV screen are over.

Advertisers want and need the new generations money not so much ours
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
wdmso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 11:44 AM   #7
JohnR

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
I’ll be looking for these Woke Commercials, lol

Sounds like were becoming our parents angry old and complaining about anything new and different

The days of Budweiser clydesdales parading majestically across your TV screen are over.

Advertisers want and need the new generations money not so much ours
The Woke commercials play identity politics, separating us on skin color, religious grounds, beliefs, and any other way they can slice us to promote other champions (of champion other than the whole). Some time in the 90s people started running out of fights to fight for and started to eff with the melting pot, when character was becoming the defining mark.

Today is far different than be your best version of yourself.

So yeh - eff them.

I work hard, on SB Sunday I want to be entertained. I want to see good people do good things regardless of color or background.

And I do not want to be scolded by some 29 year old NYC or SF pronounladen marketing weenie that has been an activist since 4th grade, and feels it their duty to disassemble this country.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 02-11-2024, 11:53 AM   #8
Nebe

I think you have it a little wrong John. The mega rich want you and I to be distracted by the fact that there is a huge problem in this country with wealth inequality, so they fund agendas that get us to worry about different people that are equal to or lesser then our economic bracket. President Johnson said it best when he said “ You can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.”

With The Woke agenda, it’s the same concept.
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 01:05 PM   #9
JohnR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
I think you have it a little wrong John. The mega rich want you and I to be distracted by the fact that there is a huge problem in this country with wealth inequality, so they fund agendas that get us to worry about different people that are equal to or lesser then our economic bracket. President Johnson said it best when he said “ You can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.”

With The Woke agenda, it’s the same concept.

I think you have a little wrong, Nebe. People on both sides want to fan the flames of division and create cries to rally around to keep us divided.

But I'm gonna stop here because we don't have a political form anymore, hahahaha ; )

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 02-11-2024, 03:34 PM   #10
rphud
GrandBob

distractions for a very different agenda me thinks
rphud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 08:03 AM   #11
wdmso

Game was sloppy got better 2nd half. Ads I thought the BMW with Christopher Walken ad was funny

The foot washing Ad was unexpected but

seems some conservative critics has complained that the ads show a “woke” Jesus.

Some called it 'foot fetish' commercial

Not my words
Old 02-12-2024, 02:31 PM   #12
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

So I would think I made the right decision. I have no idea what you guys are talking about because I watched Tombstone and Goodfellas and went to sleep.

The Super Bowl is Bull S hit.

Last edited by piemma; 02-13-2024 at 02:28 AM..

No boat, back in the suds.
piemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 03:08 PM   #13
afterhours
Afterhours Custom Plugs

Not having a dog in the fight I thought it was a pretty good game although a little sloppy at times imo.

www.afterhoursplugs.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Afterh...428173?created

Instagram - afterhourscustom

Official S-B.com Sponsor

GAMEFISH NOW

"A GAMEFISH (WHICH STRIPED BASS SHOULD BE) IS TOO VALUABLE TO BE CAUGHT ONLY ONCE"...LEE WULFF
afterhours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 03:19 PM   #14
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
Game was sloppy got better 2nd half. Ads I thought the BMW with Christopher Walken ad was funny

The foot washing Ad was unexpected but

seems some conservative critics has complained that the ads show a “woke” Jesus.

Some called it 'foot fetish' commercial

Not my words
I mean, they understand that the real Jesus washed his disciples' feet, right?

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
Mike P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 03:26 PM   #15
JFigliuolo

so I'm guessing this isn't on your spotify playlist?

Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement -- Keith Benning
JFigliuolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2024, 07:23 AM   #16
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike P View Post
I mean, they understand that the real Jesus washed his disciples' feet, right?
I am sure some
People do understand that story. Others not so much

I am not in the Real Jesus camp myself
Old 02-15-2024, 09:04 AM   #17
bloocrab
Callinectes sapidus

In my opinion, the scales have tipped....(for a good number of years now, I guess it's just become more blatantly obvious to me lately)

In today's day-n-age, there are more people watching the SuperBowl, who could really care less about the game, the teams competing and why or how they got there. From the lobbying, obvious agendas whether political, pro/anti-religious, racist, whatever... but the ads/commercials have moved away from simply being funny, to having obvious and semi-hidden agendas... (including the half-time show, which also ran late??)
Not to sound too insensitive, but the OT coin-flip had both captains walking out to the center of the field, as they approach the center and prepare for the toss...it breaks to a commercial about the Hawaii fires??? C'mon, get on with the d@mn-game already!!
If Kelce would have bumped Belicheck like he did Reed, he'd be replacing Sandler in "The Waterboy" sequel...glad he didn't get much screen time, but If you saw Kelce on the screen, you knew you'd see Swift shortly there-after... ....If Kelce had scored the winning TD, Swift would have been player-of-the-game for flying from Tokyo to invoke the win....poor thing, she's such a trooper...I'm sure that relationship will endure eternity (which in today's world is about 45 seconds)....yeah, I'm not a swifter nor a chief fan

SF blew it...they should have stuck with the run. Go PATS!!!

This weekend, Hyannis-hittin the Brazilian Grill ...yummy, a few Caipirinha's does the body good -
Proud member of the "Jesus Camp" right here! I'm a strugglin' sinner, but tryin' my bestest!!

Last edited by bloocrab; 02-15-2024 at 09:15 AM.. Reason: My post should probably be moved to the Grumpy Forum - rant over (for now)

...it finally happened, there are no more secret spots
bloocrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2024, 09:36 AM   #18
Nebe

I can’t believe I am typing this but my take on Taylor swift is that her current relationship with Kelsey is crucial for her next album. When you make songs about breakups, you need to have a steady supply of men for material. But whatever…I don’t listen to her music and I don’t watch pro sports and don’t watch the superbowl. I think I watched a few episodes of young Sheldon that night.
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2024, 11:35 AM   #19
JohnR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
I can’t believe I am typing this but my take on Taylor swift is that her current relationship with Kelsey is crucial for her next album. When you make songs about breakups, you need to have a steady supply of men for material. But whatever…I don’t listen to her music and I don’t watch pro sports and don’t watch the superbowl. I think I watched a few episodes of young Sheldon that night.

Eventually she'll need to marry & divorce just to feel alive

Apocalypse is Coming: