Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » StriperTalk!

StriperTalk! All things Striper

Old 09-20-2010, 02:17 PM   #61
agsurfr

That's a damn shame. Didn't have the pleasure but my heart goes out to those that did and loved ones.

Please be careful folks...

ab
agsurfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 03:21 PM   #62
Steve K

That is just awful. My condolences to his family and friends.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Steve K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 05:45 PM   #63
late-start

terrible news. thoughts and prayers to all involved.

stay safe out there.
late-start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 06:42 PM   #64
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian L View Post
What a shame.

I just heard from an extremely trustworthy source that it was Mike V. "Redlite" and another fisherman who were on the beach and made the call to the coast guard. Probably saved Greg's life from the sounds of it. Good work fellas, you saved one of your own, and heroic one at that.

Rest easy, Bob, and condolences to the family.
Mike(redlite) and Dan deserve a lot of credit like the Sandwich Fire Deputy Chief Tom Corriveau said in that article.
I wasn't sure if they wanted it known so I didn't mention their names. Dan I hope you are doing well and come to grips with this, remember your call saved a life. The whole incident is hard to understand.

NIB, sorry to have been the bearer of such bad news. Yes I will pass my condolences on as Mike said. You should come on up here real soon like you mentioned earlier in the year, life is short and you never know what will happen down the road as we seem to be reminded unfortunately.

RIP Bob

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

1984 was a warning, not a guidebook!

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 07:19 PM   #65
ivanputski
Pete K.

You often hear about the guy in jeans and sneakers getting washed in, so you think to yourself..."ahhh. I'm way more experienced and prepared. wont happen to me" but when you hear that someone as experienced as this loses their life doing what we all do on any given night, that really shakes you up... I think many of us have no idea just how close to danger we come simply because nothing has ever happened... My thoughts and prayers to all friends and family... may God carry you through.
ivanputski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 07:45 PM   #66
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

I rarely if ever go on the other site, but did so today and found one thread with about six posts in regard to this tragedy. Dont they care over there. Maybe I just looked in the wong place.

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 07:52 PM   #67
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Ya you looked in the wrong place maybe because there seems to be a scattering of threads by now, probably more than 6 threads

the main one was posted by Mike Thomas in mass forum Frank, sticky "not good" it's long

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

1984 was a warning, not a guidebook!

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 08:38 PM   #68
Chris in Mass

Location: Recently relocated to the shores of Rhode Island - East Bay!
It'a like 16 pages...
Chris in Mass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 08:55 PM   #69
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmer View Post
I rarely if ever go on the other site, but did so today and found one thread with about six posts in regard to this tragedy. Dont they care over there. Maybe I just looked in the wong place.
There are threads about it in at least 5 different forums over there. Bob was leading the bass division of their "Ditch Troll" derby, and the guys voted to close it and award him the bass division, to re-name it the Bob Samuelson Memorial Ditch Troll Derby in the future, and to close it every year on 9/18 in his memory.

People from Maine to NJ knew Bob. Mary had family in NJ, and every year Bob and her would make a trip down for their "Food Fling" and to visit the Asbury Park club's tackle show.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
Mike P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 09:16 PM   #70
Thumper

thoughts and prays are with his family and friends. RIP Bob.
Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 12:20 AM   #71
BasicPatrick
M.S.B.A.

Location: I live in the Villiage of Hyannis in the Town of Barnstable in the Commonwealth of MA
Send a message via AIM to BasicPatrick Send a message via Yahoo to BasicPatrick
I knew Bob a little as a nice guy and a hard core surf fisherman.

I got cell signal coming off Race Point and had phone calls asking me if I was Ok because many people know that I fish that spot (and it's cousi up the road) pretty often. I had a close call there many years ago and can easily imagine how even a prepared angler could get in trouble rather quickly.

It's on all of us to make sure Bob's death is remembered so that others may try to avoid dangerous situations.

My prayers are with all involved.

"It is impossible to complain and to achieve at the same time"--Basic Patrick (on a good day)

BasicPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 06:55 AM   #72
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipknot View Post
Mike(redlite) and Dan deserve a lot of credit like the Sandwich Fire Deputy Chief Tom Corriveau said in that article.
I wasn't sure if they wanted it known so I didn't mention their names. Dan I hope you are doing well and come to grips with this, remember your call saved a life. The whole incident is hard to understand.
I wasn't going to bring this up, not sure if it was my place, but as horrible as this was it could have been worse so big thanks to Mike & Dan for being on the ball and calling and maintaining contact as long as possible with the Coast Guard.

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 12:36 PM   #73
RoyL

My thoughts and prayers go out to Bob and his family. Bob was a great guy who know was a great asset to Red Top, Falmouth B&T and all that knew him. I left about a half hour before all this happened. Leaving behind some friends in that surf. When I got the call neither of the two had yet been rescued. I now where to people were and tried calling my other to buddies to see if they were alright. After not getting a hold of them, I jumped back in my car and headed back down looking for there vehicles. It was a relief to not see there cars, but seeing gregs and bobs put a huge lump in my throat and those I was keeping close phone contact with. I have to say, this is something that will haunt me for a long time. I can only imagine what those that were there must be going thru. This is sad for all of us and its not about if you knew Bob or not, but about remembering one of our own. The ocean is unforgiving is what my dad always told me. So be careful out there. This is something that could happen to anyone of us. It was a nasty night to be out and that surf was angry, but no fish is worth a life.

A couple days after I had a dream that I was walking the beach and as I came to a sand bar there was a guy sitting down at the base of it and another guy out on it. I asked the guy sitting down if they were getting any fish as I turned on my light. That's when I saw it was Bob. I asked what had happened and he replied.....I slipped, I just slipped Roy and then told me they were killing them as he pointed out to the guy on the bar. That's when I turned out to see Steve standing there with a nice fish. In my dream I then told them I wouldn't crowd them and let them have this spot to there own tonight, and it was great to see them again. I then woke up and realized this was my last good bye to two great fisherman.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
RoyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 02:21 PM   #74
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Your dream gave me goose bumps

No boat, back in the suds.
piemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 06:18 PM   #75
Fish_Eye

This is terrible news. I cringe every time I hear a sad story like this. My condolences to family and friends. I've lost two very close friends to diving accidents and Internet friends to fishing mishaps. I can only pray that people will be more careful after this tragedy and learn from this awful loss.

Fish_Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 06:36 PM   #76
Sundowner

condolences to the family and friends and all of you that knew him. I was the jeans and sneakers guy 2 yrs ago and had a few close calls, I have had just as many that were just as sticky since. Do not overestimate the protectiveness of your equip/ wader belt/ or knowledge. obviously from what I am reading, Bob knew his %$%$%$%$. ie... walking across the steet
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 09:12 PM   #77
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

Bob wasn't reckless or careless by nature. In fact, Bob was one of the very few locals who routinely wore Korkers on the Canal rocks.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
Old 09-21-2010, 09:21 PM   #78
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
As others have stated......what happened to Bob could have happened to anyone of us at any time. As skilled, knowledgeable and careful as you can be......accidents can and do happen.

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 08:08 AM   #79
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

I heard many say Bob fished that area often and was a seasoned fisherman but sometimes being experienced or knowledgeable about a certain area or technique can work against you being that you are comfortable with it and sometimes complacent with a situation that someone who doesn't know that area would not go out in. Not saying Bob was reckless by any means. It was rough that nite and I assume they felt it was doable as they probably have fished that area in similar conditions before, heck onshore wind and outgoing current is what they wanted, just one tragic misstep or wave. Unfortunately a terrible tragic accident occurred and has occurred at that spot several times. All one can say is always be careful and never let your guard down weather on foot or by boat. So sad.

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 06:01 PM   #80
pmueller
Captain Pete

Rest in peace Bob. Fair winds tight lines.
pmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 06:13 PM   #81
Raven

it's synchronization too ....if you step in a hole going under just as you exhaled or were about to inhale ...and in a blink of an eye, your choking on water because of bad timing....

then your in a real struggle for your life and you don't always win.
this is so different than how HAB'S and Flaptail left us...
they were not fishing at the time....

so i feel more bewildered by this
having a hard time wrapping my head around it
just shaking my head in....disbelief ....kinda...

i remain stunned....
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 05:26 AM   #82
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

I'm going to bump this thread up. On Christmas Eve that year, Red Top had an open house, as they did every year until recently. When I pulled in, I was floored to see Bob's truck parked outside, in the same spot he always parked in. Mary had driven it there. I've fallen out of touch with her. I hope she's doing well.