Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 06-28-2018, 10:02 AM   #31
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
Ahh. So since you speculate that they might have done it anyway, that means Reid didn’t open the can of worms.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

He opened it for everything else, excluding this.

Better Hope RBG hangs on for 6 more years

(FWIW I want to see a fairly balanced SCOTUS without Kook Left and Kook right)

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 06-28-2018, 10:31 AM   #32
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
He opened it for everything else, excluding this.

(FWIW I want to see a fairly balanced SCOTUS without Kook Left and Kook right)
Agreed.
Old 06-28-2018, 10:54 AM   #33
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post

Buzzy is older than Kennedy
Old 06-28-2018, 11:07 AM   #34
wdmso

Quote:
What did they steal , exactly? The nomination of the nut obama wanted? The American citizens freely chose to give senate control to the gop. As obama liked to say, elections have consequences. I don’t think voters gave the senate to the gop, so they could let obama replace Scalia with a liberal nut job. If the American people don’t like what Mitch McConnell did, they have the opportunity every two years to make a change. So far, they have chosen to leave the senate with the gop, and it’s a safe bet they will keep the senate in November, the seats up for re election could not possibly align any better for the republicans.
So will you support waiting for the mid terms to be finished before starting the Conformation process on Trumps Pick ... My guess is NO

you have no regard with process what did they steal?? now your just playing dumb.. Turtle boy drag his feet for 11 months but now he wants it done by September ... the GOP cant claim innocents
Old 06-28-2018, 11:27 AM   #35
DZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
So will you support waiting for the mid terms to be finished before starting the Conformation process on Trumps Pick ... My guess is NO
To be realistic I wouldn't wait either. The publicly stated mantra over and over on the left in Congress has been RESIST. Can't take the chance on waiting and loosing majority.

DZ
Recreational Surfcaster
"Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your Limit"

Bi + Ne = SB 2

If you haven't heard of the Snowstorm Blitz of 1987 - you someday will.
Old 06-28-2018, 12:07 PM   #36
PaulS

Quote:
It is also widely viewed that the dems played the race card, from the bottom of the deck, by claiming that a black man was not to be trusted around women. That was actually when I became a republican, after I saw what they did to Clarence Thomas.
Do you have any links to articles stating that? Biden was slammed for his treatment of Anita Hill.
Old 06-28-2018, 01:11 PM   #37
Jim in CT

Obama got Elena Kagan confirmed in a midterm year, and there were republicans who voted for her.
Old 06-28-2018, 01:16 PM   #38
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post

you have no regard with process what did they steal?? now your just playing dumb.. Turtle boy drag his feet for 11 months but now he wants it done by September ... the GOP cant claim innocents
No, it would be asinine to wait until after the midterms. Obama got elana Kagan confirmed in 2010, a midterm year. And in 2016 when the gop prevented obama from getting anyone confirmed, they were able to do so, because the American people gave the senate to the gop. The democrats do not control the senate. Elections have consequences, pretty sure I heard that a lot from 2009 - 2016.

I have great regard for process, and I want my side to follow the same process as the other side, I don’t want my side to self impose a higher hurdle, that’s stupid.

The gop controls the senate. With that, come the same exact perks the dems enjoyed when they last controlled the senate. If the American people don’t like it, they can make a change in 2010, but the gop will be more likely to gain senate seats than lose them. Several democrats up from state’s trump won.
Old 06-28-2018, 01:24 PM   #39
PaulS

When Justice Thomas was confirmed, the Dems. controlled the Senate 57-43.
Old 06-28-2018, 01:56 PM   #40
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
When Justice Thomas was confirmed, the Dems. controlled the Senate 57-43.
There was a time when it was bipartisan. That changed with Bork. Do you remember which side broke withbtradition that time?
Old 06-28-2018, 02:06 PM   #41
PaulS

He was not confirmed bc of his role in the Sat. night massacre where he fired Archibald Cox after 2 folks refused and the firing was found by a judge to be improper.

There were other issues including his views of the division of power bt the pres and congress. He also believed that Constituion did not provide any privacy protection to individuals.
Old 06-28-2018, 02:16 PM   #42
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
He was not confirmed bc of his role in the Sat. night massacre where he fired Archibald Cox after 2 folks refused and the firing was found by a judge to be improper.

There were other issues including his views of the division of power bt the pres and congress. He also believed that Constituion did not provide any privacy protection to individuals.
No, he was not confirmed because of partisan politics. A new phrase came out of that, called getting “borked”, it means to be denied something that you are obviously qualified for.

You want to say that Clarence Thomas was guilty, and Bork was unqualified. Fine.
Old 06-28-2018, 02:47 PM   #43
PaulS

Quote:
No, he was not confirmed because of partisan politics. A new phrase came out of that, called getting “borked”, it means to be denied something that you are obviously qualified for.

You want to say that Clarence Thomas was guilty, and Bork was unqualified. Fine.
Stop making things up - show me where I said either.

I asked previously for you to show me where the Dems. played the race card and that they "claiming that a black man was not to be trusted around women" when there were Dems who voted for Thomas and Repubs who voted against him. Biden was skewered for his questioning of Hill. In fact, Thomas was criticized for playing the race card and calling it a "high tech lynching" in his opening remarks. This seemed to scare many of the Dems.

You really don't remember, do you?
Old 06-28-2018, 02:58 PM   #44
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:

I don't know where you found that definition, it's closer to the last one of these. And that's also why his confirmation was opposed.

According to columnist William Safire, the first published use of bork as a verb was possibly in The Atlanta Journal-Constitution of August 20, 1987. Safire defines to bork by reference "to the way Democrats savaged Ronald Reagan's nominee, the Appeals Court judge Robert H. Bork, the year before."[37] Perhaps the best known use of the verb to bork occurred in July 1991 at a conference of the National Organization for Women in New York City. Feminist Florynce Kennedy addressed the conference on the importance of defeating the nomination of Clarence Thomas to the U.S. Supreme Court, saying, "We're going to bork him. We're going to kill him politically ... This little creep, where did he come from?"[38] Thomas was subsequently confirmed after one of the most divisive confirmation hearings in Supreme Court history.

In March 2002, the Oxford English Dictionary added an entry for the verb bork as U.S. political slang, with this definition: "To defame or vilify (a person) systematically, esp. in the mass media, usually with the aim of preventing his or her appointment to public office; to obstruct or thwart (a person) in this way."[39]

There was an earlier usage of bork as a passive verb, common among litigators in the D.C. Circuit: to "get borked" was to receive a conservative judicial decision with no justification in the law, reflecting their perception, later documented in the Cardozo Law Review, of Bork's tendency to decide cases solely according to his ideology.[40]

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 06-28-2018, 04:06 PM   #45
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
I don't know where you found that definition, it's closer to the last one of these. And that's also why his confirmation was opposed.

According to columnist William Safire, the first published use of bork as a verb was possibly in The Atlanta Journal-Constitution of August 20, 1987. Safire defines to bork by reference "to the way Democrats savaged Ronald Reagan's nominee, the Appeals Court judge Robert H. Bork, the year before."[37] Perhaps the best known use of the verb to bork occurred in July 1991 at a conference of the National Organization for Women in New York City. Feminist Florynce Kennedy addressed the conference on the importance of defeating the nomination of Clarence Thomas to the U.S. Supreme Court, saying, "We're going to bork him. We're going to kill him politically ... This little creep, where did he come from?"[38] Thomas was subsequently confirmed after one of the most divisive confirmation hearings in Supreme Court history.

In March 2002, the Oxford English Dictionary added an entry for the verb bork as U.S. political slang, with this definition: "To defame or vilify (a person) systematically, esp. in the mass media, usually with the aim of preventing his or her appointment to public office; to obstruct or thwart (a person) in this way."[39]

There was an earlier usage of bork as a passive verb, common among litigators in the D.C. Circuit: to "get borked" was to receive a conservative judicial decision with no justification in the law, reflecting their perception, later documented in the Cardozo Law Review, of Bork's tendency to decide cases solely according to his ideology.[40]
I found links that defined it as getting attacked politically, especially in the media.

How many times did borks decisions get overturned by higher courts, how many times did Sotomayor?

The gop is likely to get who they want, and god willing, it will transform the court for a generation.
Old 06-28-2018, 04:17 PM   #46
spence

Quote:
The gop is likely to get who they want, and god willing, it will transform the court for a generation.
Most SCOTUS votes are 9-0 or close to that. On close votes the court has been pretty conservative as of late. The Chief Justice has said Roe is settled law.

What's the radical change you're looking for?
Old 06-28-2018, 05:29 PM   #47
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Most SCOTUS votes are 9-0 or close to that. On close votes the court has been pretty conservative as of late. The Chief Justice has said Roe is settled law.

From the way you put it, sounds like it doesn't matter who gets confirmed. It turns out OK. What's all the fuss about? Things are all going just fine. The system works. All these posts are fussing over nothing.

This thread should expire.
Old 06-28-2018, 05:44 PM   #48
Jim in CT

Quote:

So I’m way off base to think this s significant, so explain why the left is going berserk?
Old 06-28-2018, 06:13 PM   #49
Jim in CT

Spence, you need to tell this guy that nothing meaningful will change.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/32449...ign=benshapiro
Old 06-28-2018, 10:59 PM   #50
Pete F.
Canceled

Jim you could tell this guy nothing meaningful will change
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.med...-explains/amp/
Old 06-29-2018, 04:46 AM   #51
Jim in CT

Quote:
Jim you could tell this guy nothing meaningful will change
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.med...-explains/amp/
See, I’m actually correct when I tell Spence that the left is worried about trump replacing Kennedy. It’s obviously true.

When I point out an obvious truth related to SCOTUS, you respond with a tale about a republican acting horribly. If true, it’s yet another in a long list of republicans acting immorally. Not sure what that has to do with this, other than showing that you are unable to concede that I was right when I said the left is worried, as I would be if I were a democrat.
Old 06-29-2018, 07:37 AM   #52
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
See, I’m actually correct when I tell Spence that the left is worried about trump replacing Kennedy. It’s obviously true.

When I point out an obvious truth related to SCOTUS, you respond with a tale about a republican acting horribly. If true, it’s yet another in a long list of republicans acting immorally. Not sure what that has to do with this, other than showing that you are unable to concede that I was right when I said the left is worried, as I would be if I were a democrat.
What obvious truth was in the article you linked?
A quote from the article you linked:
No Wonder Jeff Toobin Wants Abortion So Badly, He Once Allegedly Gave His Mistress Money To Have One
A quote from the one i linked:
The prospect of Trump having had a political ally pay off a mistress to have an abortion would be extremely scandalous, even for him. But what we didn’t know, until now, is that there appears to be legitimate evidence to suggest that this affair and pregnancy happened while Trump was the president of the United States!

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Lets Go Darwin
Old 06-29-2018, 03:35 PM   #53
Jim in CT

Quote:
What obvious truth was in the article you linked?
A quote from the article you linked:
No Wonder Jeff Toobin Wants Abortion So Badly, He Once Allegedly Gave His Mistress Money To Have One
A quote from the one i linked:
The prospect of Trump having had a political ally pay off a mistress to have an abortion would be extremely scandalous, even for him. But what we didn’t know, until now, is that there appears to be legitimate evidence to suggest that this affair and pregnancy happened while Trump was the president of the United States!
The obvious truth, is that the left is horrified that trump has the potential to shift the court to the right for a generation.
Old 06-29-2018, 04:18 PM   #54
spence

Quote:
The obvious truth, is that the left is horrified that trump has the potential to shift the court to the right for a generation.
Well, he doesn't really. Maybe two years.
Old 06-29-2018, 05:45 PM   #55
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
From the way you put it, sounds like it doesn't matter who gets confirmed. It turns out OK. What's all the fuss about? Things are all going just fine. The system works. All these posts are fussing over nothing.

This thread should expire.
Then why is Jim so excited? He doesn't think Roe will be over turned. He doesn't seem to be anti-gay. He's a sportsman so I'd think he'd oppose repeal of environmental legislation. He's a devout Christian so wishing for payback with the suffering of others, even former democratic leadership would be against his faith...

This really may be an existential question for the board. Why is Jim so giddy?
Old 06-29-2018, 05:46 PM   #56
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
I would hope that this country can withstand whatever Trump does.
Regardless of what you think, he has no magical powers.
Gaslighting does not qualify you as a superhero.
Time will tell

Lets Go Darwin
Old 06-29-2018, 05:55 PM   #57
spence

Quote:
We will but I had no idea the damage Trump would do to our democracy would be so significant and come so quickly. I don't think most of the effects have even really been felt yet and it looks like his rampage is far from over.
Old 06-29-2018, 07:02 PM   #58
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Quote:
Come on Jeff. What is the average turnover of a SCOTUS seat? Lifetime appointment. Each appointment is an important one. Kennedy certainly held ground from Reagan, so had an effect much greater than two years...

[QUOTE=spence;1145666]We will but I had no idea the damage Trump would do to our democracy would be so significant and come so quickly. I don't think most of the effects have even really been felt yet and it looks like his rampage is far from over.[/QUOTE.

We will, just as we did from the Obama years. (though the families who lost loved ones due to lack of action will never recover) No need for me to harp on the negative effects the previous two terms had on me, but my industry is white hot currently. People are spending on their homes. Is that a direct result of Trump? Not going to say that. Just what effects are you expecting Jeff?
His style is not one I admire, but that is how business is done in much of New York. And I disliked him as a businessman and a person. But he was the lesser of two evils we had on the ballot. Our only hope to get change next time is to present a better candidate.... Until then.... suck it. We did.

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
Old 06-29-2018, 07:45 PM   #59
Jim in CT

Quote:
No, I mean if he nominates somone more conservative than kennedy, the court is transformed for a long time, because the judge gets a lifetime appointment. I am aware the potus isnt there for a generation, though the last jerk sure felt that way at times.
Old 06-29-2018, 07:47 PM   #60
Jim in CT

Quote:
Regardless of what you think, he has no magical powers.
Gaslighting does not qualify you as a superhero.
Time will tell
If the republic can survive obama with the dems controlling Congress, I’m confident. What did I ever say that implied he had magic powers? Name one thing please?