Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » StriperTalk!

StriperTalk! All things Striper

Old 02-17-2019, 11:21 AM   #1
Guppy
User

Interesting Striper stats

Close the ditch.?...

https://www.capecodtimes.com/news/20...-stock-falters
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 12:34 PM   #2
Clammer

By 2020 you WILL some kind of changes coastwide

ENJOY WHAT YOU HAVE !!!

MIKE
Clammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 04:26 PM   #3
Raider Ronnie

Send a message via AIM to Raider Ronnie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppy View Post

Want a laugh.
On the Water this morning had the crew fishing the canal 😜
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Raider Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 07:47 PM   #4
Rob Rockcrawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider Ronnie View Post
Want a laugh.
On the Water this morning had the crew fishing the canal 😜
Trying to catch the elusive canal cod? I wish em luck.

Everything is better on the rocks.
Rob Rockcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 07:58 PM   #5
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Shut it down for a couple years. C&R with a sunset clause

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 10:09 AM   #6
MakoMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
Shut it down for a couple years. C&R with a sunset clause
C&R kills more fish than any other kind of fishing, more than commercial more than recreational kept fish.

****MakoMike****

Http://www.Makomania.net

Official S-B Sponsor
MakoMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 12:29 PM   #7
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakoMike View Post
C&R kills more fish than any other kind of fishing, more than commercial more than recreational kept fish.
How is that something you can quantify? I’ve released thousands of stripers over the years and I’d bet my life the mortality is extremely low. I don’t fish live bait much at all, so I’d be shocked if 99% of those I released don’t survive.
Got Stripers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 12:56 PM   #8
DZ

It's hard to accurately quantify it without making a one on one comparison. For instance license to license. Who potentially kills more bass upon release? A individual gill netter or individual R&R rec fisherman. An individual dragger or R&R rec?
I agree and it stands to reason that numbers on a whole would be higher recreationally but only because there are so many more rec license holders than commercial. MakoMike - can/do regulators incorporate C&R mortality numbers into their biomass assessments and recommended regulations? Was never sure about that?

DZ
Recreational Surfcaster
"Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your Limit"

Bi + Ne = SB 2

If you haven't heard of the Snowstorm Blitz of 1987 - you someday will.
DZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 01:21 PM   #9
Clammer

Wink

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH Boy ……...discussing what can,t be proved pr backed up >>>>>
NEVER talk about religion or politics ><.,.,.

ENJOY WHAT YOU HAVE !!!

MIKE
Old 02-19-2019, 04:47 PM   #10
Cool Beans

S
P
O
R
T
F
I
S
H

Cool Beans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 04:54 PM   #11
Guppy
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZ View Post
It's hard to accurately quantify it without making a one on one comparison. For instance license to license. Who potentially kills more bass upon release? A individual gill netter or individual R&R rec fisherman. An individual dragger or R&R rec?
I agree and it stands to reason that numbers on a whole would be higher recreationally but only because there are so many more rec license holders than commercial. MakoMike - can/do regulators incorporate C&R mortality numbers into their biomass assessments and recommended regulations? Was never sure about that?
From CCT article

“The new data showed that recreational fishermen, who are responsible on average for more than 75 percent of the landings each year, accounted for 90 percent of fish mortality in Massachusetts, including fish released back into the ocean, Armstrong said.

NOAA data showed that in 2006, recreational fishermen took home nearly 2.8 million fish but threw back 23.3 million striped bass. Studies estimate a 9 percent mortality rate for catch-and-release bass. That means more than 2 million dead fish.”
Old 02-19-2019, 05:15 PM   #12
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

all well and good having a report, I'm curious how you determine the number of fish that die from being released. I use to do a lot of winter fishing and watched the tagging of winter holdover's in the Thames and if you are basing data on mishandled tagged fish, I'm skeptical. I'm just asking how that data is gathered and obviously what that conclusion is based on.
Old 02-19-2019, 05:43 PM   #13
Clammer

BOB >>GS Read my post >>>>>>>>>they can,t

ENJOY WHAT YOU HAVE !!!

MIKE
Old 02-19-2019, 06:33 PM   #14
fishgolf

Agree. Guess based on assumptions...
fishgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 07:58 PM   #15
Guppy
User

Fish released at the Race are sitten ducks me thinks....
Old 02-20-2019, 07:44 AM   #16
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Bob Dylan said: You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.
The stocks are down. We all know this. I think the answer is let it take its course and, when there are no more, there will be a moratorium and it won't matter who did the most damage. The fact of the matter is the damage has been/is being done.

No boat, back in the suds.
piemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 01:48 PM   #17
afterhours
Afterhours Custom Plugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post
How is that something you can quantify? I’ve released thousands of stripers over the years and I’d bet my life the mortality is extremely low. I don’t fish live bait much at all, so I’d be shocked if 99% of those I released don’t survive.
What he said.

Numbers can be presented in any fashion to support the views of the man behind the curtain. Now to deflect the demise to the C& R guys, you know the guys who care the most for the right reasons. I may have been born on a Tuesday but...…...

www.afterhoursplugs.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Afterh...428173?created

Instagram - afterhourscustom

Official S-B.com Sponsor

GAMEFISH NOW

"A GAMEFISH (WHICH STRIPED BASS SHOULD BE) IS TOO VALUABLE TO BE CAUGHT ONLY ONCE"...LEE WULFF
afterhours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 02:40 PM   #18
JLH

I don't think the 9% mortality number is that far off. The average fisherman doesn't put the same effort into safely releasing bass that most of the guys on this board are going to. I think we are in a small minority when it comes to all C&R anglers. I don't fish the canal but have heard plenty of stories from those that regularly do that make me wonder how many fish survive. I do fish the breachways in RI often enough and always see guys stepping on fish to remove hooks and then throwing them back into the water (if they clear the rocks) from the top of the jetty. I don't think even close to 9% of those fish are surviving.
JLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 03:22 PM   #19
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

It’s hard to believe that percentage based on my own experience, as I believe my mortality rated isn’t even 1%, but again how can you even quantify it. Shame on those recreational fishermen that are killing 9% of the fish they release.
Old 02-20-2019, 03:28 PM   #20
ThrowingTimber
It's about respect baby!

Mis-handling and using gear that is not proportional to the fishes size doesnt help.
ThrowingTimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 04:11 PM   #21
tlapinski
All up in the Interweb!

Quote:
It’s hard to believe that percentage based on my own experience, as I believe my mortality rated isn’t even 1%, but again how can you even quantify it. Shame on those recreational fishermen that are killing 9% of the fish they release.
On any given day if your release mortality is 1%, but the guy next to you doesn't handle his fish properly and his release mortality comes in at 17% (not unheard of by any means), then the total release mortality of the fish caught between the two of you comes out at 9%. It really isn't that difficult to imagine the AVERAGE release mortality of the entire fishery as a whole is 9% according to the figures currently used by the ASMFC based on release mortality studies.

To be honest, I'd be surprised if it was really that low when you average out the entire angling population. As JLH noted, and as so many of us forget, we (those who respect the fish and handle them properly) are by far in the minority. I see it every day on the internet, through my job and in person that people in general simply do not handle fish properly. Even those who profess to be the voice of the conservation movement are not perfect, and I've witnessed a great many of them get caught up in the heat of a good bite or photo opportunity and inflict excessive harm on the fish.

Co-Host of The Surfcast Podcast

"Out there in the surf is where it's at, that's where the line gets drawn in the sand between those who talk fishing and those who live it."
- a wise man.

One good fish, a sharpie does not make...

Certified rock hopping billy goat.
tlapinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 06:35 PM   #22
Clammer

here is a personal example .which I wouldn,t have believed , if it didn,t happened to me & I saw the fish the next day .

A few years ago I was into a good bite of descent schoolies 4 -6 average . from shore & in eelgrass ..using sluggos I had a descent night releasing quickly with the single hook & standing in eelgrass most of the fish were released in the grass with only a few being held to get the hook out .
I was surprised when [#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&] called me the next morning ……. saying I know were you fished last night <<< then proceded to tell me of two dead ones in the grass …………
I said No F%^&* way & drove there to check ….sure enough there were two dead . that didn,t make it .if I had to bet I would have lost on that one ………… ya just never know for sure ><

ENJOY WHAT YOU HAVE !!!

MIKE
Old 02-21-2019, 09:27 AM   #23
albythereforyou

Based on what I see, I would say the mortality is higher than that. very few fisherman release fish quickly as possible. Now with cell phones it's even worse, as taking a picture with a cell phone isn't a 2nd process like a normal camera used to be. Hardly anyone I see takes the time to properly revive a fish, esp larger bass in warmish waters...

You wanna talk release mortality? lets not even TALK ABOUT ALBIES. i would say at least 50% of the fish I see landed are crab food. People take forever to take photos of those fish. If a buddy isn't right there with a camera ready, don't take a pic, just take out the hook and release the fish asap.

no one cares about anything anymore but lame as #^&#^&#^&#^& social media now and days....
albythereforyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 12:13 PM   #24
afterhours
Afterhours Custom Plugs

I'm thinking that we take it for granted that most fishermen care as much for stripers as we do, and do our best to revive fish for release. Maybe a massive education campaign is needed.

www.afterhoursplugs.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Afterh...428173?created

Instagram - afterhourscustom

Official S-B.com Sponsor

GAMEFISH NOW

"A GAMEFISH (WHICH STRIPED BASS SHOULD BE) IS TOO VALUABLE TO BE CAUGHT ONLY ONCE"...LEE WULFF
afterhours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 08:43 AM   #25
zimmy

Quote:
I'm just asking how that data is gathered and obviously what that conclusion is based on.
Studies like this:
https://afspubs.onlinelibrary.wiley....A%3E2.3.CO%3B2

We predicted long‐term (58‐d) hooking mortality of striped bass after catch and release in saltwater using a logistic regression model. Experimental fishing was conducted on fish (27–57 cm) in a 2‐ha saltwater impoundment in Salem, Massachusetts. Depth of hook penetration in the oral cavity, anatomical site of hooking, gear type (treble or single hooks), and angler experience were significantly related to mortality (P < 0.05). The logistic regression model was developed with backwards stepwise selection to predict probability of death from hooking. The final model included depth of hook penetration, gear type, and angler experience as predictor variables. Predicted mortality ranged from 3% under the most favorable conditions to 26% for the worst set of conditions. Predicted as well as observed mortality for the entire experimental group was 9% which is generally much lower than reported in striped bass hooking mortality studies conducted in freshwater. At the end of the experiment, condition factors were significantly lower for surviving hooked fish than for fish that had not been hooked.

No, no, no. we’re 30… 30, three zero.
zimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 08:46 AM   #26
MakoMike

Quote:
There have been several studies done on it. It appears the most critical factor affecting survival is the temperature.

****MakoMike****

Official S-B Sponsor
Old 02-22-2019, 08:51 AM   #27
MakoMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZ View Post
Short answer is yes. That's why we no longer can keep cod in the GOM, the release mortality exceeds the recreational allotment. Though that may chance this year.

****MakoMike****

Official S-B Sponsor