Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 01-11-2018, 10:54 AM   #91
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
So what is bothering you then that caused you to make 12 posts on this page? Is it that wdmso said "republicans"?
there's nothing bothering me...do i need to be "bothered" to post?
Old 01-11-2018, 10:56 AM   #92
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
I believe a part of it was corroborated by an inside source.

Steele wasn't just a Russian expert, according to the testimony he was hired party leaders because his expertise was spotting russian propaganda.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
indeed
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	download.jpeg
Views:	465
Size:	11.2 KB
ID:	64845  
Old 01-11-2018, 10:57 AM   #93
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
there's nothing bothering me...do i need to be "bothered" to post?
Not at all. Post away. It is not my website.
Old 01-11-2018, 10:58 AM   #94
scottw

democrats should really just refocus their effort on undermining the Trump economy...that will be their biggest enemy going forward
Old 01-11-2018, 11:43 AM   #95
Nebe

Quote:
democrats should really just refocus their effort on undermining the Trump economy...that will be their biggest enemy going forward
Kind of like what the republicans did with Obama ?
Old 01-11-2018, 12:22 PM   #96
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
yes, but it looks like they'll have to work twice as hard
Old 01-11-2018, 12:22 PM   #97
PaulS

Quote:
Yes, what a waste of $s looking into possible collusion w/the Russians or obstruction of justice. That money can be used for another committee to look into Bengazi.
Old 01-11-2018, 02:11 PM   #98
Jim in CT

Quote:
And it's going to be a very formidable enemy. I would love to be the campaign manager of any Republican challenger running against a democrat opponent. All you have to do is run commercials saying that the democrat vote against the voters being able to keep more of their money. It's going to be effective.

There's that old saying that politics "is about the economy, stupid". If it was that simple, the GOP would make huge gains. But Trump is the most obnoxiously offensive POTUS I have seen, so that will have an effect. As will the fact that the liberals and the media never, ever stop bashing him long enough to take a breath. That's also effective.
Old 01-11-2018, 02:14 PM   #99
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
The Democrats got absolutely demolished in both of Obama's midterms. People like Obama personally (for reasons that escape me), but they don't like his policies.

Trump is helping the economy in broader ways. The stock market is up (which Obama also deserves credit for), but he didn't cut taxes. 80% of us might see a net pay increase thanks to Trump, and every single democrat in DC voted against it. They are, and should be, scared of that fact.
Old 01-11-2018, 04:33 PM   #100
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
The Democrats got absolutely demolished in both of Obama's midterms. People like Obama personally (for reasons that escape me), but they don't like his policies.

Trump is helping the economy in broader ways. The stock market is up (which Obama also deserves credit for), but he didn't cut taxes. 80% of us might see a net pay increase thanks to Trump, and every single democrat in DC voted against it. They are, and should be, scared of that fact.
the stock market is in fantasy land ... every one should be scared
Old 01-11-2018, 06:33 PM   #101
PaulS

How much did the market go up last year? I wonder how much it went up in Obama's first year?
Old 01-12-2018, 12:02 AM   #102
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
the stock market is in fantasy land ... every one should be scared
Did you say that when it went up under Obama? Would you have said that if Hilary had won? I don't know a single financial advisor telling clients to short the market, or to cash out and put money in cash. The consensus is that the market will increase again in 2018. But no on knows for sure...

Last edited by Jim in CT; 01-12-2018 at 12:10 AM..
Old 01-12-2018, 12:08 AM   #103
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
How much did the market go up last year? I wonder how much it went up in Obama's first year?
I give Obama credit for that. But it's also true, that when the market just crashed, it's easier to get increases, then when it is already high. It's like trying to reduce your golf handicap, it's easier when you are hitting 125 than it is when you are hitting 90.

Trump, unlike Obama, is putting money in the pockets of ordinary Americans, the ones Democrats claim to care so much about. Walmart is raising the company minimum wage to $11/hour, a raise of about $1.50 an hour in CT, $3,000 a year if you are full time. Combined with the tax cuts (reduction in tax rates, doubling of standard deduction, increased child tax credits), that's a real, meaningful boost to these people. And every single democrat voted against it. They may be at a complete loss explaining why.

Of course, if Trump makes inexcusable comments like the "sh*thole country" monstrocity, maybe people won't care about the economy. He may be such an ass, that people don't care about a booming economy. We'll see in November.
Old 01-12-2018, 12:13 AM   #104
spence

Quote:
I give Obama credit for that. But it's also true, that when the market just crashed, it's easier to get increases, then when it is already high. It's like trying to reduce your golf handicap, it's easier when you are hitting 125 than it is when you are hitting 90.

Trump, unlike Obama, is putting money in the pockets of ordinary Americans, the ones Democrats claim to care so much about. Walmart is raising the company minimum wage to $11/hour, a raise of about $1.50 an hour in CT, $3,000 a year if you are full time. Combined with the tax cuts (reduction in tax rates, doubling of standard deduction, increased child tax credits), that's a real, meaningful boost to these people. And every single democrat voted against it. They may be at a complete loss explaining why.

Of course, if Trump makes inexcusable comments like the "sh*thole country" monstrocity, maybe people won't care about the economy. He may be such an ass, that people don't care about a booming economy. We'll see in November.
Walmart is also laying off thousands as it closes stores and has been under a massive PR onslaught for years for how little it pays employees.
Old 01-12-2018, 05:19 AM   #105
wdmso

Quote:
Did you say that when it went up under Obama? Would you have said that if Hilary had won? I don't know a single financial advisor telling clients to short the market, or to cash out and put money in cash. The consensus is that the market will increase again in 2018. But no on knows for sure...
your confusing a slow and steady under Obama ,,,with guns a blazing under Trump.... you think its sustainable ? I dont

Financial advisors get paid up or down they are not required to look out for the interest of their clients (some may) but its easy money now

Also when Obama was in office most conservatives said the stock market didn't count... now its all Trump has
Old 01-12-2018, 05:21 AM   #106
wdmso

Quote:

enjoy your kool aid comrade .. whats the saying If it Sounds Too Good to Be True, it Probably Is
Old 01-12-2018, 08:24 AM   #107
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

I picked a really good time to retire. Even on a risk level of 3 on a scale of 1 to 10, my Fidelity accounts are doing almost 13%, can't imagine how the younger risk takers are doing. So while I absolutely loath the man, I love the economy right now and no I don't think he can claim all the credit.
Old 01-12-2018, 09:19 AM   #108
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Walmart is also laying off thousands as it closes stores and has been under a massive PR onslaught for years for how little it pays employees.
Might be because Americans are beginning to realize purchasing junk made in China that breaks or fails quickly or is inadequate is not the way to go, it is about choices and quanity is not always better than quality. You get what you pay for. Everyone likes a good deal, I'm not sure buying trash is a good deal, not that some of their products are not useful because there are, but most of the stuff is crap. Same with Christmas Tree shops, Ocean State Job Lot etc.
As the economy improves, people want better stuff not crap

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

1984 was a warning, not a guidebook!

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Old 01-12-2018, 02:55 PM   #109
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
your confusing a slow and steady under Obama ,,,with guns a blazing under Trump.... you think its sustainable ? I dont

The rising stock market during Obama was fueled by government stimulus fiat money, not by growth in the economy. The QE stimulus money went into stocks rather than actual market growth because the market was so sluggish that there was more to gain from an inflated stock market than from an anemic business market.

Stock growth under Trump may actually be fueled by economic growth combined with an already bloated stock value.

Also when Obama was in office most conservatives said the stock market didn't count... now its all Trump has
I didn't care for the artificial growth of stock value under Obama, nor am I comfortable with its continuing and meteoric growth now even though some (maybe most) is due to an actual expanding economy. I suspect too much "value" is in inflated worth. We'll see how it eventually shakes out.