Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Sports Talk - Title Town

Sports Talk - Title Town Sports Talk - Our Home for the 2004/2007 World Champion Red Sox, Super Bowl XXXVI, XXXVIII, XXXIX Champion Patriots! SEVENTEEN TIME NBA Champion Boston Celtics, 2011 winners of Lord Stanley's Cup Boston Bruins!!!

Old 08-19-2012, 05:04 AM   #1
numbskull
Oblivious // Grunt, Grunt Master

English Premier League 2012-2013

And away we go.

Liverpool's a mess
Sigurdsson looked impressive, Ben Afra a blast to watch.
Swansea a surprise
Arsenal, about what you'd expect.

Should be fun

Last edited by numbskull; 08-19-2012 at 05:13 AM..
numbskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 08:50 PM   #2
mosholu
Mosholu

Southaton looked very good against Man City as did Everton against Man U. As a gooner I can not understand why they did not sell RVP to Inter for less money rather than to one of our main rivals. Hopefully RVP will revert to form and spend most of the season in the trainer's room.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
mosholu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 10:36 PM   #3
luds
Night Stalker

Ben Arfa was great last week. I had a hard time not putting him on my fantasy squad. I'm however starting to dislike Alan Pardew. I loved him last season when he was trying to throw down with other mangers but as much as I appreciate his passion I don't think he is in control of himself. So much so that I'm surprised he got rid of Barton. I see some similarities there. (Ha ha..Not really. I realize Barton was dropped mainly because of his comments regarding transfers which coincidentally has ended up being Newcastle's strength) I'm also interested to see who takes the pk's for united when RVP is inserted in the starting line up. It's Rooney's team but RVP is so clinical.

luds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 07:29 PM   #4
Clogston29
xxx

United's defense does not look good. Need someone to play with vidic in the middle. Carrick won't do. Need a keeper too - too indecisive and not physical enough. Should throw some cash at swans to try to pry away vorn.

Really find myself pulling for Newcastle this year.

AVB hasn't lost his touch.

Hazard looks good. Nice signing.

Last edited by Clogston29; 08-26-2012 at 06:34 AM..
Clogston29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 12:58 PM   #5
numbskull

What a transformation for Chelsea. And to think Marin and Oscar are waiting in the wings. So far I'm liking them to win it all. They seem to have all the parts they need (except perhaps Hulk) and a coach who knows how to get the best out of what he has.

Liverpool looks like they have life again. Incredible free kick by Suarez, probably the best I've seen after Roberto Carlos' wonder goal years ago. Their finishing ineptitude and defensive gaffs will hold them back though, as will the money they wasted on Henderson, Downing, and Adam. The kid Sterling looks promising and Allen very steady.
Old 08-27-2012, 01:12 PM   #6
american spirit
Formerly the_shocker

rooney

i didn't get to see the united game. did rooney get one studs up to the quad? 4 weeks out for a flesh wound? must have been pretty deep/ torn muscle.
american spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 04:40 PM   #7
numbskull

Quote:
Originally Posted by american spirit View Post
i didn't get to see the united game. did rooney get one studs up to the quad? 4 weeks out for a flesh wound? must have been pretty deep/ torn muscle.
He was on the ground, Rodellega came down from a high kick and planted on then slid off his thigh.

It looked like a full thickness (right down to muscle) skin tear about 3/4" wide and 5" long across the inside of his mid thigh.
Old 08-27-2012, 04:59 PM   #8
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by numbskull View Post

It looked like a full thickness (right down to muscle) skin tear about 3/4" wide and 5" long across the inside of his mid thigh.
I was watching that, it was freaking ugly...really bad gash.

-spence
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:25 PM   #9
luds
Night Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by numbskull View Post
What a transformation for Chelsea. And to think Marin and Oscar are waiting in the wings. So far I'm liking them to win it all. They seem to have all the parts they need (except perhaps Hulk) and a coach who knows how to get the best out of what he has.

Liverpool looks like they have life again. Incredible free kick by Suarez, probably the best I've seen after Roberto Carlos' wonder goal years ago. Their finishing ineptitude and defensive gaffs will hold them back though, as will the money they wasted on Henderson, Downing, and Adam. The kid Sterling looks promising and Allen very steady.
Agree on Liverpool and Chelsea. It should be a fun season.

Old 08-27-2012, 09:28 PM   #10
luds
Night Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clogston29 View Post
United's defense does not look good. Need someone to play with vidic in the middle. Carrick won't do. Need a keeper too - too indecisive and not physical enough. Should throw some cash at swans to try to pry away vorn.

Really find myself pulling for Newcastle this year.

AVB hasn't lost his touch.

Hazard looks good. Nice signing.

I don't know. Vorm is suspect on crosses too and as good as Vorm is as a shot stopper Deheah (sp?) is as good. I do think Vorm has the respect of his teammates more so than Deheah.

Old 08-27-2012, 10:32 PM   #11
mosholu
Mosholu

The injury to Rooney could not have come at a worse time for him. He was kept on the bench as a reserve because Sir Alex (according to many ManU blogs) was unhappy with his condition and his approach to training. A four week layoff with that type of injury is not going to help Rooney find his form.
Old 08-29-2012, 12:28 PM   #12
american spirit
Formerly the_shocker

Liverpool

there was a story on brendan rogers before one of the liverpool games talking about what he did for swansea. i like him. maybe better than dalglish.

just watched liverpool vs. man city. old news but like the looks of liverpool minus the skrtel mishap.
Old 08-29-2012, 12:46 PM   #13
american spirit
Formerly the_shocker

Tevez

oh and does tevez always pop his collar? i don't know why but that annoyed me all game. isn't that old news anyway.... and kind of lame? can't believe he almost scored from the end line.
Old 08-30-2012, 02:41 PM   #14
Clogston29
xxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by luds View Post
I don't know. Vorm is suspect on crosses too and as good as Vorm is as a shot stopper Deheah (sp?) is as good. I do think Vorm has the respect of his teammates more so than Deheah.
he's certainly not the best, but i'd take him over what they got. de Gea is too lanky and not strong enough. Add that to his indecisiveness and its not a good thing. I think they thought he would grow into his body, but so far its not happening. I want a guy like Scheichel, they just don't grow on trees.

"Remember, my friend, that knowledge is stronger than memory, and we should not trust the weaker" - Van Helsing
Old 08-30-2012, 03:10 PM   #15
luds
Night Stalker

Quote:
he's certainly not the best, but i'd take him over what they got. de Gea is too lanky and not strong enough. Add that to his indecisiveness and its not a good thing. I think they thought he would grow into his body, but so far its not happening. I want a guy like Scheichel, they just don't grow on trees.
Agree on the strength but he is getting better.

I cannot wait to see Julio Cesar at QPR. He was amazing a few years ago but has been full of howlers for Inter the last couple years . He is such a character though and should be fun to watch. I expect him to fail but I would love it if he is successful. I just think it was such a risky move. He doesn't seem like a good fit with the EPL.

Old 09-02-2012, 04:44 PM   #16
Clogston29
xxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by american spirit View Post
oh and does tevez always pop his collar? i don't know why but that annoyed me all game. isn't that old news anyway.... and kind of lame? can't believe he almost scored from the end line.
Wait till it gets colder and he starts rocking the snood. Don't be hating on tevez. Although off the field he's had some issues, on the field he's the man. One of my favorites.

You can almost here everyone in Manchester saying "Wayne who?" today.

"Remember, my friend, that knowledge is stronger than memory, and we should not trust the weaker" - Van Helsing
Old 09-03-2012, 09:44 AM   #17
numbskull

Liverpool (and Rodgers) had a brain fart. Running Carroll out of town then failing to get Dempsey. WTF were they thinking. I'd have to guess Dempsey's wage demands more than the transfer fee killed the deal. Still this mistake could cost them millions. If Suarez gets hurt or suspended they will struggle to make the Europa league. Owen (with his 4 year injury record) seems unlikely to save the day, and probably would cost them more in wages than Dempsey now that they are over a barrel. The report is that Carroll only ultimately agreed to go to West Ham after Rodgers personally told him he had no future at Liverpool. Brilliant.

On the same note, dumping Spearing may hurt them as well (hard though it is to believe). The best player on the field yesterday was Joe Allen. He looked like Xavi out there. They need to get him more forward. To do that they need more defensive work out of a different midfielder. With Lucas hurt that leaves Henderson (who is clueless in defense), Sahin who doesn't look up to the task, or Shelvey who is unmotivated to play defense. If they had held on to Spearing he could have done the job well enough to push Allen up to where he could help the offense more.
Old 09-03-2012, 04:43 PM   #18
Chunkah

Yesterday's Liverpool match was tough to watch (as a LFC fan). The lack of a pure finisher is their real problem, and Owen isn't the answer. Wage bill is way down, the squad is young and talented, but it is going to take a bit of time to gel and get the players used to BR's style. Hopefully they can sign a striker in January...if not bottom half isn't unrealistic.

Chelsea looks great. Southampton played a great match against United for 83 minutes, then United's class, talent, and depth showed through. Van Persie is a goal scoring machine but he'll pull up lame eventually. Another exciting season in store!
Chunkah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 04:45 PM   #19
Chunkah

BTW...I am SO HAPPY Liverpool didn't hire AVB....the guy knows how to ruin a team.
Old 09-03-2012, 08:20 PM   #20
Clogston29
xxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunkah View Post
BTW...I am SO HAPPY Liverpool didn't hire AVB....the guy knows how to ruin a team.
So does the fenway group.

Old 09-04-2012, 02:10 PM   #21
Chunkah

Quote:
So does the fenway group.
Perhaps, perhaps. But realistically what can they do? They have the club out of debt, they are actually in a position to make money and be prosperous, where other teams still spend WAY beyond their means and are saddled with huge debts. Not all clubs can have an oil rich owner with endless funds to spend. Is it really fun watching ManCity and Chelsea spend, spend, spend? PSG have a new owner and are now a "Super Club", but is that really what we want to see? Liverpool have signed some excellent young talent, offloaded lots of bloated wage bills for players that weren't playing a lot anyway, and potentially have money to spend in not only the winter transfer market, but next summers as well. The Fair Play rules go into effect in 2014 and Liverpool will already be a step up and a step ahead of many clubs. They will be used to operating within their means, while other clubs will have to sell and adjust. There have been many mistakes so far, and there will be more to come, but this is the best (off the pitch) this club has looked in a LONG time and in the long run they will reap the rewards...and that will be more satisfying than buying any title.

Last edited by Chunkah; 09-04-2012 at 02:30 PM..

Old 09-04-2012, 02:48 PM   #22
Clogston29
xxx

was more a shot at the red sox ownership than a shot a liverpool, if anything that's where their attention is focused. sacasm and the internet do not go well together.

Old 09-18-2012, 01:46 PM   #23
luds
Night Stalker

Did you guys watch Being Liverpool? I was a little disappointed but the show did solidify that I like Brendan Rogers. Most uncomfortable part was watching Bobby Valentine try to manage a genuine smile for Rogers.

Old 09-18-2012, 05:50 PM   #24
Chunkah

Being Liverpool was a bit of a disappointment, but there are three (?) episodes left so hopefully it will improve.
Old 09-27-2012, 02:54 PM   #25
Chunkah

Boy, Terry gets a 4 game ban from the FA with both video and audio evidence....Suarez gets an 8 game ban last season with NO evidence, just Evra's statement...what a pathetic sh!t show the FA is.
Old 09-28-2012, 04:26 AM   #26
mosholu
Mosholu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunkah View Post
Boy, Terry gets a 4 game ban from the FA with both video and audio evidence....Suarez gets an 8 game ban last season with NO evidence, just Evra's statement...what a pathetic sh!t show the FA is.
You have to wait two weeks for the QC's opinion to be released on how they came to their decision. From what I have read Suarez was found to use racial terms a number of times in the situation whereas Terry only used it once. We will see when the report comes out.
Old 09-30-2012, 10:55 AM   #27
numbskull

Demba Ba had an interesting outing. Perhaps the goal of the year and the anti-goal of the year in one day.

Chelsea is certainly not dull to watch this year. And to think they have Marin yet to play.

ManU and Man City both look flat. Almost as if they worried so much about each other they forgot there was a league.

Liverpool looks on the mend.
Old 09-30-2012, 12:39 PM   #28
Clogston29
xxx

Vintage scholes yesterday. Looked like nobody else was interested in playing midfield though. Rooney looked good. If united can keep rooney and rvp healthy, get valencia back to last years form, and find a younger replacement for Ferdinand I think they'll take the league. If not, chelsea looks pretty strong. City is right there, just don't see them as repeat winners, just gut feeling.
Old 10-07-2012, 03:53 PM   #29
numbskull

Big three all looked solid.

Chelsea in attack is a treat to watch although I get the sense Torres is not quite up to the level of Mata, Oscar, and Hazard.
Old 11-21-2012, 04:14 PM   #30
Chunkah

Thumbs down Chelski at it again.

Well, Chelski fired Di Matteo and replaced him with Rafa Benitez. Something tells me the ego's of Benitez and Abramovich won't allow them to work together for too long, but Rafa needs the work and the exposure...he has been out of work for a few years.

What a disgrace Chelsea Football Club is....9 managers in 9 years....Di Matteo deserved much better.