Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 12-11-2009, 07:12 PM   #1
Zeal
Always a Rookie

Oak

Either I'm using the search function wrong or my internet is funky since I get zero matches with this word.

Anyway, the only other dowels I keep seeing are Oak. Can anyone shed any light on to whether this wood is too heavy? High Split %? Action? Anything?

"Your first word was "Fishing", not "Mom", not "Dad", "FISHING." - Mom

Black, White, Chartreuse/Parrot = the Holy Trinity
Zeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 07:37 PM   #2
Zeal
Always a Rookie

Yeah that was my thinking, the only dowels in stores are Pine, Poplar, and "Hardwood" (seriously that's all its called so I just nicknamed it as Mystery Wood). I don't have a lathe, only filing tools and sand paper.

Any idea on what exactly those "Hardwood" dowels are in Home Depot/Lowe's stores? Are they as bad as Poplar?

Old 12-11-2009, 08:05 PM   #3
Zeal
Always a Rookie

Sorry got a little confused since Hardwood was used twice for a few different things

TY

Old 12-11-2009, 08:28 PM   #4
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Poplar is a swamp wood, It actually grows in swamps. While I prefer its stability for interior trimwork, you would never use it for exteriors, as it will cup and twist as soon as it gets wet. Therefore not good for plugs.

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 07:24 AM   #5
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Did not know that, Scott. I stand corrected... I'm just a carpenter, so maybe I just stick to that.....

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 07:35 AM   #6
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^& View Post
Oak doesn't fare very well as fishing lures
thats b/c getting turned on a lathe hurts!
why do you think I didn't come to the shop!?!

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
RIROCKHOUND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 03:37 PM   #7
JFigliuolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^& View Post
Ramin is crap don't waste your money or time. Like I said plenty of places online that sell hardwood dowels such as birch maple etc. And I don't believe it's a FSC certified wood-they rape the bazoons out of the forests for the stuff....very destructive. What isn't from overseas though. Rape and pillage anything they can all for the $$.
Last I checeked HD is sellin FSC certified wood. Mostly after catching crap for not dooing it. I'm pretty sure the dowels are Eucalytus(sp). They aren't the best. But they turn well and are satifactory if sealed well. I used them when I started and they worked well. I sealed w/thinned epoxy and had zero adhesion/splitting issues.

Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement -- Keith Benning
JFigliuolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 09:01 AM   #8
Rockfish9

a word about Oak... it depends on the Tree... red oak, is extremly pourus with a heavy open grain and is hard to seal to keep it from splitting... white oak is often used in the marine industy to make pilings, the stuff never rots and is considerably less porous...seal it well and it will work for darters , conrads and slope heads...

Poplar, can be used but is extremly sensitive to water... unless it is sealed well it will split like a log through a splitter..I've used it for darters that are not through drilled and utilized screw eye or eopxy pocket hard ware attachments...

Maple and birch dowels are availble at quality lumber yards,wood craft or through McMaster Carr and are a far better choice for heavier deep swimming plugs...

A good run is better than a bad stand!
Rockfish9 is offline   Reply With Quote