Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 02-01-2011, 05:21 PM   #1
Mr. Sandman

Exercising

I #^&#^&#^&#^&ing hate it. I don't get the great rush everyone else does I just feel like #^&#^&#^&#^& for an hour after wards then the next day I hurt in my joints.

This is BS man. I just don't see the joy people get from it.
Mr. Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 06:16 PM   #2
tynan19
Stuck In Reality

Jim, if your just starting out try and tone it down a little. Start of light and low impact. I get better results and feel better with less impact, more reps and less weight. Also swimming and cycling helps a lot. Get outside as well if you are not already. Hike or try trail running.

Go Ugly Early
tynan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 06:49 PM   #3
JohnnyD

I feel completely juiced after a good workout... the problem is getting my lazy ass to the gym.
JohnnyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 07:13 PM   #4
Raven

i always felt that exercise should accomplish something productive
so i save my energy for that instead.
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 07:21 PM   #5
5/0
Eels

It can be tough getting back into a routine,I agree withTynan's great recommendation start off on low impact for a while and after a few weeks you'll feel much better,and if you want to kick it up a notch go for it.

I truly believe exorcising is a key component to staying younger and more active.

Live bait sharp hooks and timing is all you need
5/0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 09:10 PM   #6
Piscator

You have to keep at it until you get over the hump. You should also do something distracting because running on a treadmil gets boring, your mind doesn;t have a distraction and overcomes your body making it feel worse than it is. Use stuff like as iPod, magazine, TV, stare at all the nice tail in the gym. Set a routine. Go at the same time each day or every other day. Get a pedometer and use it when you are exercising and try to improve the number of steps each day.

"I know a taxidermy man back home. He gonna have a heart attack when he see what I brung him!"
Piscator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 09:21 PM   #7
striperman36
Old Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post
I feel completely juiced after a good workout... the problem is getting my lazy ass to the gym.
Were do you go, I need a motivational partner.
striperman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 10:06 PM   #8
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Mix it up by doing a different exercise everyday.
Running/walking Roaming- combo of both, biking, lifting etc. Takes 2 -3 weeks to
really start feeling the good effects. Ya gotta get through the wall.

" Choose Life "
justplugit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 10:13 PM   #9
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Send a message via AIM to likwid
Give it some time.
Its rough now, but eventually, you'll feel better.
More energy.
Crap that wore you out quick? No problem.

Ski Quicks Hole
likwid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 12:41 AM   #10
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by striperman36 View Post
Were do you go, I need a motivational partner.
Answer Is Fitness in N. Attleboro.

I feel the absolute worst when I've been on hiatus for a few months. The first two weeks back is absolutely terrible. I feel like crap, exhausted, need at least an extra hour of sleep, eat 1-2 more meals/day. Around the end of the 3rd week back, every workout feels like an energy charge - feel less stressed, sleep deeper (and less) and just overall happier.
Old 02-02-2011, 04:38 AM   #11
Raven

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplugit View Post
Ya gotta get through the wall.
reminds me of that Song:

Break on thru to the other side....

break on thru.....
Old 02-02-2011, 08:13 AM   #12
PaulS

They say you add a min. to your life for every min. you exercise.

Of course, you've already wasted that min. exercising.
PaulS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 09:58 AM   #13
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 10:01 AM   #14
striperman36
Old Guy

Quote:

I feel the absolute worst when I've been on hiatus for a few months. The first two weeks back is absolutely terrible. I feel like crap, exhausted, need at least an extra hour of sleep, eat 1-2 more meals/day. Around the end of the 3rd week back, every workout feels like an energy charge - feel less stressed, sleep deeper (and less) and just overall happier.
Oh I thought answer was more sex.
Old 02-02-2011, 10:13 AM   #15
fishbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post

That's a good one.

I run on the treadmill at least 5 to 6 days per week. If I'm not feeling up to it, I'll do a mile or so just to get the heart pumping. When I feel like doing it, I do about 3 miles or so. I watch tv while doing it, so it goes by pretty fast. I also find that a good way to keep motivated is to plan vacations every few months where you are going to be shirtless. That keeps me going even when I feel lazy.

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
fishbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 10:38 AM   #16
JackK
Not Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post

I like that

Since the end of the fishing season, I realized that I've been getting almost zero exercise. Been doing a daily routine of pushups, situps, squats & stretches, and feel like a million bucks thanks to it.

Not a big fan of going to the gym, I feel like I have enough weight on me that the above body resistance exercises work well enough. Now all I need to do is get a pull-up bar, and hit the treadmill at work after hours. Bring it on, spring.
JackK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 10:41 AM   #17
JohnnySaxatilis

ya doin the p90x thing at first was freakin brutal.... I was sore the entire first week all day. But its getting better now. I suck less at the workouts, and I say suck less becuase i still SUCK at the workouts. But now I have better form and cardio/strength/balance, and i dont ache all day 6 days a week. ha. they focus on a different muslce group each day which mixes it up and keeps it challenging. And its like anything else wether it be fishing or a freakin video game or working out or trying something new. It takes time and effort to see results and get good at it. Like i forget who said it earlier "you gotta get over the hump"

Keep at it man Good Luck!

something clever and related to fishing
JohnnySaxatilis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 10:46 AM   #18
striperman36
Old Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackK View Post
I like that

Since the end of the fishing season, I realized that I've been getting almost zero exercise. Been doing a daily routine of pushups, situps, squats & stretches, and feel like a million bucks thanks to it.

Not a big fan of going to the gym, I feel like I have enough weight on me that the above body resistance exercises work well enough. Now all I need to do is get a pull-up bar, and hit the treadmill at work after hours. Bring it on, spring.
Being an IT guy, the only body parts that are in shape are my fingers and my mouse finger can crush beer cans
Old 02-02-2011, 10:52 AM   #19
Piscator

Quote:
Originally Posted by striperman36 View Post
Being an IT guy, the only body parts that are in shape are my fingers and my mouse finger can crush beer cans
Let your fingers do the walking?

"I know a taxidermy man back home. He gonna have a heart attack when he see what I brung him!"
Piscator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 11:17 AM   #20
Saltheart

Start out slow , really slow. Add a minute or two a day. In 2 months you are over an hour and no wiped out feeling after , no achey joints or worse , no pulls etc that make you stop.

I like to vary the exercises too. I have a tread mill , rowing machine , wind bike and stair stepper. i start out after a long layoff at about 3 minutes tread mill , 5 bike , 3 rowing and 1 stair stepper. I add a minute a week to each. In 14 weeks (3 months) you will be in better shape than anyone you know. You'll be doing 17 treadmill , 19 bike , 17 rower and maybe 7 stair stepper(stair stepper is a killer , you just add maybe 30 seconds a week on that). That's an hour total. You also increase the speed of all the exercises and also add an incline to the treadmill. I went from 3 minutes flat to 22 minutes at 4.5 MPH at an 11 degree incline. Its incredible how hard a workout that is , you could never just jump on and do it without the feeling horrible afterwards. Sounds sissy to start so low but biggest reason people quit is soreness afterwards and or an injury.

Saltheart
Custom Crafted Rods by Saltheart
Saltheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 11:18 AM   #21
5/0
Eels

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnySaxatilis View Post
ya doin the p90x thing at first was freakin brutal.... I was sore the entire first week all day. But its getting better now. I suck less at the workouts, and I say suck less becuase i still SUCK at the workouts. But now I have better form and cardio/strength/balance, and i dont ache all day 6 days a week. ha. they focus on a different muslce group each day which mixes it up and keeps it challenging. And its like anything else wether it be fishing or a freakin video game or working out or trying something new. It takes time and effort to see results and get good at it. Like i forget who said it earlier "you gotta get over the hump"

Keep at it man Good Luck!
Im preping for that,my start date is March

Old 02-02-2011, 11:46 AM   #22
JohnnySaxatilis

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5/0 View Post
P.S. yoga is painful. the resistance training is cake compared to that crazy shiz

something clever and related to fishing
JohnnySaxatilis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 12:00 PM   #23
5/0
Eels

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnySaxatilis View Post
P.S. yoga is painful. the resistance training is cake compared to that crazy shiz
I bought it last year and did it for 3 weeks (I had a work ingery)so I stopped,I do remember the pain of YOGA,who woulda thunk it.

Johnny;
Are you going to calculate your BMI,weight and also Pics of before and after?

Old 02-02-2011, 12:06 PM   #24
Raven

i have enough of a workout JUST to deal with the friggan snow
Old 02-02-2011, 12:22 PM   #25
Goose

I get into working out during the off season....3 days a week is enough for me. Like previously said...change it up. I started on the treadmill power walking, jogging and now at a fast run. After 2 miles of that I work ab's every time and switch days arms and chest. then finish on the cybex for about 30-45 minutes.

It suxed at first but once you establish a routine that works for you you'll quickly notice the difference. My job demands a lot physical labor but a workout at the gym is much different. Being proactive with your health after 40 is a wise thing.
Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 12:28 PM   #26
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

I try to run outside in the am, year round. Just 3 miles, 4 times a week. I crank my ipod and enjoy the solitude. Its like fishing, its dark and no one is around. It is very, very hard to start but once you do it becomes routine.

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
RIJIMMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 02:30 PM   #27
bassballer

Quote:

I went to Answer for years great Gym. My buddy Evan was a trainer there for years. Plus the nutter butter protein shakes are top notch,
bassballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 02:44 PM   #28
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassballer View Post
I went to Answer for years great Gym. My buddy Evan was a trainer there for years. Plus the nutter butter protein shakes are top notch,
I like the gym, the locker room and equipment a lot... but there are far too many Meatheads, infested with them. I switched to going to the gym around 8-9am and it's a whole lot nicer. Hardly anyone around and of the few people that are there, a bunch of them appear to be either trophy wives or college girls so no complaints from me.
Old 02-02-2011, 02:58 PM   #29
Mr. Sandman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5/0 View Post

Ditto...I got a stack of P90X DVD's for Christmas and I looked at that and said, jezzzz I need to be in decent shape before I even attempt that! There is no way most 54 year old's can do that.
So... I am trying to workout to get into some shape to do P90X but right now, I think I would rather just eat doughnuts and post on SB.com

Seriously though, when you read thru any of these successful exercise plans, you find out that they are really lifestyle changes with severe diet modifications. The problem is I like what I eat! I eat fairly healthy but my portion size is probably too much.
I just want to stay in better shape so I don't hurt myself when casting or fighting a fish... Or have a heart attack while coming thru Muskeget channel on a rough day!
Mr. Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 06:28 PM   #30
Saltheart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Sandman View Post
The problem is I like what I eat! I eat fairly healthy but my portion size is probably too much.

Yep , a bowl of Spaghetti to me is what a nutritionist would say is the right amount for a family of 6 ! I honestly think the time to beat an overweight life is when you are children. That's when you develop the over portion size habits and develop the taste for stuff that is bad for you and a hard eating style to change. In my day ,the sign of a good healthy growing boy was that you had a big appetite and ate a lot! If you were a skinny , picky eater , you were considered unhealhy and people would ask "What's wrong with him"? Now we know differently.

I have made some healthy changes though. Now when I have spaghetti and sausages , I have a few glasses of red wine with it. That red wine is supposed to be good for you!

On a serious note , there is no doubt in my min whatsoever that eating too much and exercising too little is the single biggest health problem in the USA today and also in the whole developed world. If a magic wand swing could cure those issues for old and young alike , people would probably live and extra 20 to 30 years longer.

Saltheart
Custom Crafted Rods by Saltheart
Saltheart is offline   Reply With Quote