Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 06-23-2010, 12:26 PM   #1
Fly Rod

He is Gone

Obama relieves Mcchrystal of his duties.

He will be replaced with General Petraeus.
Old 06-23-2010, 01:17 PM   #2
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Mistake.... Clearly a step backwards militarily, and in the interest of our srevicemen and women in country..... This was a political decision, not a military decision... not good.

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
Old 06-23-2010, 01:38 PM   #3
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

I don't think the decision was bad...the fact that it had to be made is bad. Once those comments hit print you knew this was going to happen...it had to. He can throw all the "F" bombs he wants about the administration behind closed doors......but airing it in a public forum isn't a sound career decision.

Whether you think the president is a tool or not.....you are a General in the US Army and you need to act as such......and like it or not he is your boss.

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 06-23-2010, 02:13 PM   #4
Nebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfighter View Post
Mistake.... Clearly a step backwards militarily, and in the interest of our srevicemen and women in country..... This was a political decision, not a military decision... not good.
I agree.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 06-23-2010, 02:18 PM   #5
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfighter View Post
You don't think Petraeus is as capable? He pretty much re-wrote the book on US counterinsurgency strategy.

With Petraeus they had a man who could take over the ongoing mission without missing a beat.

I'm not sure how this is political.

-spence
Old 06-23-2010, 02:19 PM   #6
Circlehook
$$

Those comments should never been put in print. It was a political move by the magazine IMO. Why would you jeapordize in any way soldiers in a battlezone fighting on your behalf? I don't think a general should speak like that, but it should have been handled discreetly behind closed doors, not in such a global forum that does nothing but weaken the US position.

Somebody just back of you while you are fishing is as bad as someone looking over your shoulder while you write a letter to your girl. ~Ernest Hemingway
Old 06-23-2010, 02:29 PM   #7
eastendlu

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
I don't think the decision was bad...the fact that it had to be made is bad. Once those comments hit print you knew this was going to happen...it had to. He can throw all the "F" bombs he wants about the administration behind closed doors......but airing it in a public forum isn't a sound career decision.

Whether you think the president is a tool or not.....you are a General in the US Army and you need to act as such......and like it or not he is your boss.
X2 !!!!

Originally Posted by Flaptail
"Throw plugs like we do that will cause them to suffer humility. Pogies make any fisherman look good when bass are around. Bait is easy."
Old 06-23-2010, 02:32 PM   #8
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

everyone is missing the forest for the trees.
the headline should be - a seasoned combat general with years of service for this country has no respect for our president

Mchrystals fault or Obamas? Obama fixed his problem, the general is gone. We need to fix our problem next - 11/2011

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 06-23-2010, 02:48 PM   #9
scottw

did anyone actually read the article???...what exactly did HE say (not his surrogates) that warranted Obama dismissing him?

and now the IRONY of the man that Obama and his fellow left wing jerks labled General "BE" tray-us...is going to save their sorry asses???...please spend some time reading the comments that Obama had for Betrayus in the past...you really can't make this stuff up....

Obama is just looking for as much ass to kick as he can find because he is a petulent little man and an inevitable failure because he's a rigid idealouge....too bad he's going to take so many good people down with him...did you see the pic of the fly on his face?...even the fly knows he's a....
Old 06-23-2010, 02:51 PM   #10
spence

Scott, please pass the pipe.
Old 06-23-2010, 02:54 PM   #11
Nebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post
everyone is missing the forest for the trees.
the headline should be - a seasoned combat general with years of service for this country has no respect for our president
neither do you.
Old 06-23-2010, 03:21 PM   #12
Pete F.
Canceled

I just find it hard to believe that a man who made it to General does not have the political savvy to avoid this situation. Perhaps there is more to it than we see?
It does seem to me like nobody is driving the bus, or maybe more likely there is a steering wheel on both ends(political and military) and no clear plan of which road they are taking to where they are going.
Of course that is probably the last presidents fault

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 06-23-2010, 03:24 PM   #13
PaulS

It was inevitable once he publicly criticized the pres. Petraeus wrote the COIN strategy so hopefully it can be implemented successfully.
Old 06-23-2010, 03:42 PM   #14
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Scott, please pass the pipe.
ahhh...the last bastion of an Obama toe sucker your messiah is the smoker...
Old 06-23-2010, 04:02 PM   #15
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
neither do you.
Very true

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 06-23-2010, 04:25 PM   #16
Nebe

I hate to say this, but our national unity is pretty much non existent. Whats that saying we were all taught in school? "United we stand, divided we fall?" Holy crap... our division has reached the highest tears of our society.
What is it going to take to unite this broken country again? Youve got the republicans who want to screw the poor.. the democrats that want to screw the rich.. and its just a viscous cycle that has been repeating itself for hundreds of years..

China is looking at us right now and is wringing its hands with delight.
Old 06-23-2010, 04:30 PM   #17
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

This was political. There are several highly qualified and respected Generals (General Mattis anyone?) that could step up into command in AFG and leave the Theater Commander in his job overseeing AFG AND IRAQ. So now one of Petraeus' former subordinates now becomes his boss and probably with less clout to argue, plan, and scrounge for the two wars in that theatre.

Perhaps Gen. Petraeus will be doing BOTH jobs in which case he may not be able to do either very well.

Nahhh, this is political. This is an effort to reach for some street cred with a name the general public know versus ones they don't know.

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 06-23-2010, 04:33 PM   #18
Nebe

oh its definitely political. Had Obama not done this, it would have signaled that he has no control over his generals.
Old 06-23-2010, 04:33 PM   #19
Fly Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post

Very True!!
Old 06-23-2010, 04:44 PM   #20
Raven

someone needed to get promoted
Old 06-23-2010, 06:21 PM   #21
buckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven View Post
How about the guy in charge of the oil spill. He's not doing anything
Old 06-23-2010, 07:09 PM   #22
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven View Post
From what I've read, this does appear to be how the Army works at times...very political.

But not in this case. McChrystal was too good of a guy to play around with for Army politics. I'm not sure Obama would have accepted his resignation had Petraeus not agreed to take over the post.

-spence
Old 06-23-2010, 08:30 PM   #23
JohnR

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
From what I've read, this does appear to be how the Army works at times...very political.

But not in this case. McChrystal was too good of a guy to play around with for Army politics. I'm not sure Obama would have accepted his resignation had Petraeus not agreed to take over the post.

-spence
I'm pretty sure McChrystal would be gone even if Gomer Pyle was the only one left...

Now does anyone find it interesting that all of the discussion is about McChystal being out of line (really more his staff's comments, partially at a bar - that were out of line). Has anyone debated the substance of the comments that have been said? That with the exception of Hillary, Dept State is effed? That the ambassador is a moron? That the CINC is detached and has spent all of a half hour with "his" guy?

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 06-23-2010, 08:34 PM   #24
Nebe

perhaps they were drunk?
Old 06-23-2010, 10:24 PM   #25
mosholu
Mosholu

Let me pose a hypothetical: If an article came out based upon the comments made by a colonel and his staff regarding McChrystal how long do you think it would be before McChrystal would have that guy sacked? The military code with guys like that only goes one way.
The sad part of this other than McChrystals career going down the tubes is that we had an opportunity to re-examine this COIN strategy and now we are committed to giving Petraeus another six to twelve months to give him a chance to make what everyone knows in their heart of hearts is not going to make a difference. We spend 100 billion each year on Afghanistan. We could take that money and lower the deficit, fund the VA so the warriors wounded in this conflict get the proper treatment they deserve, fund health care and improve our education system.
Old 06-23-2010, 10:27 PM   #26
Nebe

It's bush's fault
Old 07-08-2010, 07:20 PM   #27
JohnR

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
This was political. There are several highly qualified and respected Generals (General Mattis anyone?) that could step up into command in AFG and leave the Theater Commander in his job overseeing AFG AND IRAQ.
Tangentially patting myself of the back. General Mattis, pending Senate confirmation, will be the next CENTCOM commander. This is good news for those that hope we succeed (as opposed to those that could care less)

Apocalypse is Coming: