Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 07-07-2010, 09:57 AM   #1
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Silence

No liberal media huh?
For YEARS the daily Iraq deaths were all over the news, now, The Afgan deaths are a back page story. Why? because Afghanistan is Obama's war.
So, when do the protests start? How about those "end this/less war" bumperstickers?

4 Americans killed in AfghanistanBy the CNN Wire Staff
June 25, 2010 3:19 p.m. EDT
(CNN) -- Friday was another deadly day in what has become the deadliest month for international troops in Afghanistan.

Three service members were killed on Friday in attacks in the east and south, the NATO-led command reported. A fourth died in a bombing on Thursday.

All four casualties were Americans, it said.

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 07-07-2010, 10:11 AM   #2
spence

Iraq deaths were a bigger story because the justification for the war was suspect. While many would argue our long-term strategy in Afghanistan, most agree something needed to be done.

And that being said, I hear about US casualties in Afghanistan all the time in the liberal press. Certainly the exposure has increased as the violence in Iraq has gone down.

I suppose your next rant will be about how this is "Obama's war of choice" and "anyone who's read a history book knows you don't get involved in a land war in Afghanistan."

Actually, what was your point again?

-spence
Old 07-07-2010, 10:14 AM   #3
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

there is NO WAY that the deaths in Afghan are getting 1/16 the attention Iraq did. I listen to multiple radio stations and review internet news sites and its barely mentioned. there is NO public uproar about the deaths in Afghan. How is that war justified? What are we doing there? Where is Cindy Sheehan?

Old 07-07-2010, 10:24 AM   #4
spence

Don't loose sight of the fact that Osama Bin Laden was in Afghanistan and not Iraq.

-spence
Old 07-07-2010, 10:31 AM   #5
FishermanTim

Maybe the media is porbably holding off until the Arizona immigration law is screwed with and weakened to the point of being worthless, then maybe they'll look to the middle-east again.
Old 07-07-2010, 10:36 AM   #6
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Don't loose sight of the fact that Osama Bin Laden was in Afghanistan and not Iraq.

-spence
YEARS ago....

Old 07-07-2010, 10:36 AM   #7
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

How Afghanistan became the ignored war - CNN.com

Old 07-07-2010, 11:04 AM   #8
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post
YEARS ago....
Like maybe around the time that the order to invade Iraq was made?

The priority has been shifted away from Bush's war in Iraq to where the terrorists actually were, which is Afghanistan/Pakistan - of course casualties there will increase. The military has been putting more pressure on the Taliban and insurgents as well.

Complaints when there aren't protests about the war, and complaints when an exit strategy is announced.

Which administration was it that started these wars?
Old 07-07-2010, 11:13 AM   #9
buckman

Your right on Jim. The local paper here has all but forgot we are at war now. Leading up to the election every bombing was a front page picture. Kinda sad really. America's best are dying for a country that has lost interest. CNN and Fox both continue to have some coverage but the print and Network media are in the Obama tank.
Old 07-07-2010, 11:18 AM   #10
buckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post
Complaints when there aren't protests about the war, and complaints when an exit strategy is announced.

Which administration was it that started these wars?

Exit Strategy???? You mean a forfeit date? Just bring them all home now and get it over with.

Um....Which administration was it that started these wars?.... Bush and he did it just to get oil Under Obama we are now swimming in it
Old 07-07-2010, 11:38 AM   #11
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
Exit Strategy???? You mean a forfeit date? Just bring them all home now and get it over with.

Um....Which administration was it that started these wars?.... Bush and he did it just to get oil Under Obama we are now swimming in it
Ah yes, the forfeit argument. What exactly is being forfeited? To avoid forfeiting, what is the goal of the war in Afghanistan - how can it be "won"? For someone that criticizes the current administration for spending money, you're surprisingly accepting of the government continuing to spend $6.7 billion per month on an unwinnable war.
Old 07-07-2010, 11:57 AM   #12
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Ah yes, the forfeit argument. What exactly is being forfeited? To avoid forfeiting, what is the goal of the war in Afghanistan - how can it be "won"? For someone that criticizes the current administration for spending money, you're surprisingly accepting of the government continuing to spend $6.7 billion per month on an unwinnable war.
Johnny, I think you are making my and buckmans argument for us.
So 100 kids just died last month for an unwinnable war? You're ok with that?
So tell me why again there is limited media attention and why no one is protesting?

Old 07-07-2010, 11:59 AM   #13
buckman

Quote:
I want them home JD
Old 07-07-2010, 12:06 PM   #14
detbuch

Quote:
So tell me why again there is limited media attention and why no one is protesting?
I also was recently wondering about the relative quiet on the number of dead aspect, but thought maybe I was just being overly political. I recall Public Broadcasting news ending their show every night with a tribute to the fallen in Iraq, giving the latest number of dead and a silent scrolling of each and every one of their names. I haven't watched their broadcast in a long while. Are they doing that for the fallen in Afghanistan?

Last edited by detbuch; 07-07-2010 at 01:11 PM..
Old 07-07-2010, 12:09 PM   #15
spence

Quote:
CNN and Fox both continue to have some coverage but the print and Network media are in the Obama tank.
Which is why Rachel Maddow, as liberal as they get, is on the ground in Kandahar reporting live on MSNBC.

She must be secretly working for FOX.

-spence
Old 07-07-2010, 12:14 PM   #16
scottw

Quote:
don't worry, Harry Reid will announce any day now that the surge in Afghan. has failed and the war is lost ....no wait...he would only do that to the troops under a Republican president...and Obama will likely accuse the troops of air raiding villages and killing innocents...nooooo...they are HIS troops now and that might reflect poorly in HIM....and....ABC will continue reporting body counts and read the complete list of the dead soldiers periodically......yeah...probably not....no Cindy Sheehan sleeping in a ditch outside Obama's house in Chicago with the media giving her full attention?...probably not gonna happen...she might get caught in a drive by shooting...or something... it's really, really ugly when their veil is lifted and certain facts become quite clear.... isn't it?
Old 07-07-2010, 12:41 PM   #17
JohnnyD

Quote:
I never said once that I was okay with it. I've been against both these wars from the very beginning. There's limited media attention because reports on the wars don't bring the same ratings as they used to - all news outlets come strictly to ratings and sales. The public has tragically become numb to the daily reports of soldier deaths. Just like article you posted states, the average American isn't directly affected by the wars because the government refuses to ask to raise taxes in order to pay for it.

Quote:
I want them home JD
In one breath you want them home, in the next you criticize the plan to pull them out. Can't bring the soldiers home without (as in your words) forfeiting.
Old 07-07-2010, 01:24 PM   #18
scottw

Quote:
I never said once that I was okay with it. I've been against both these wars from the very beginning.did you have an alternative suggestion? There's limited media attention because reports on the wars don't bring the same ratings as they used to that is pathetic - all news outlets come strictly to ratings and sales .not true, the ratings and sales for the mainstream Obama media are generally in the toilet exactly because they operate on an very biased agenda rather than reporting the news... The public has tragically become numb to the daily reports of soldier deaths. maybe you have but I doubt that patriotic Americans will ever become "numb" to troop deaths Just like article you posted states, the average American isn't directly affected by the wars because the government refuses to ask to raise taxes in order to pay for it.

In one breath you want them home, in the next you criticize the plan to pull them out. Can't bring the soldiers home without (as in your words) forfeiting.
stop dancing around it...the media can't advance the agenda of the left right now by criticizing the troops and the wars and the President to gain political advantage....it's that simple...kick Obama's ass out in 2012 and if there are still troops abroad fighting...the media will suddenly become fixated again
Old 07-07-2010, 03:59 PM   #19
buckman

Quote:
I guess I should clarify for ya. If Obama won't let them fight to win, then bring them home. Under the current ROE , with a deadline, we are forfeiting the war anyways. BRING THEM HOME
Old 07-07-2010, 04:06 PM   #20
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Just got the email that my coworkers nephew was kia

Old 07-07-2010, 08:13 PM   #21
JohnnyD

Quote:
I guess I should clarify for ya. If Obama won't let them fight to win, then bring them home. Under the current ROE , with a deadline, we are forfeiting the war anyways. BRING THEM HOME
Since you understand the situation so well, how about answering my other questions then...

"What exactly is being forfeited? To avoid forfeiting, what is the goal of the war in Afghanistan - how can it be "won"?"
Old 07-07-2010, 08:27 PM   #22
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
stop dancing around it...the media can't advance the agenda of the left right now by criticizing the troops and the wars and the President to gain political advantage....it's that simple...kick Obama's ass out in 2012 and if there are still troops abroad fighting...the media will suddenly become fixated again
That's interesting, considering there is an entire media outlet set on advancing the right wing agenda that could be doing the same thing to Obama.

Call it pathetic (and I completely agree), but people don't pay nearly as much attention to the war because most Americans notice any direct effects from it. The article that RIJIMMY posted said it precisely:
Quote:
Without a draft, many Americans simply don't feel or fear the costs of war. They don't feel the urgency of paying close attention to what is going on.
Every unnecessary troop death (as I feel every single one of them have been) is a major tragedy.
Old 07-07-2010, 09:30 PM   #23
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Quote:
T+P for his parents and family and all our other troops that have
given their lives.

" Choose Life "
Old 07-08-2010, 06:40 AM   #24
PaulS

Quote:
Sad, my condolences to the family.
Old 07-08-2010, 02:34 PM   #25
scottw

Quote:
That's interesting, considering there is an entire media outlet set on advancing the right wing agenda that could be doing the same thing to Obama.

ahhh...the Fox News defense ...again...brilliant!!...you did say "could" right?