Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 11-14-2009, 12:44 PM   #1
Fly Rod

Gun Free Zones

Could the democrats share some blame for the tragedy at Fort Hood? After all it was a democrat that took the guns away from all military post that are not in a hostile area. It was President Clinton who disarmed the military in 1993, declaring all military bases Gun Free. Let's be realistic about this. Would it have really mattered if one or two personal had been carrying a weapon? More then likely not. The terrorist that had opened fire would have done so anyway but, maybe not as many personal would have been killed or wounded if military personal had carried weapons.

One military wife of a wounded soldier whose wounds were not serious, felt that her husband would be safer in Afghanistan. Mandy Foster's husband is scheduled to go to Afghanistan in January and she had said that at least he would be armed to defend himself.
Old 11-14-2009, 03:25 PM   #2
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

How about a rather unique concept....we blame the guy that pulled the trigger.

that's my biigest beef as to why everything is going down the crapper these days.....evertybody wants to blame somebody else instead of the actual responsible party....you know...the guy that did the actual killing.

thats the same rationale that has people sueing because they spilled hot coffee on themselves.

Its nobody else's "Fault" accept the guy that pulled the trigger.

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 11-14-2009, 03:44 PM   #3
Fly Rod

You are 100% correct.
Old 11-14-2009, 10:15 PM   #4
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly Rod View Post
One military wife of a wounded soldier whose wounds were not serious, felt that her husband would be safer in Afghanistan. Mandy Foster's husband is scheduled to go to Afghanistan in January and she had said that at least he would be armed to defend himself.
While true that he'll be armed, there will be a whole lot more people there with the goal to kill him. That's like saying, I'd be safer in Iraq with an M16 than I am walking the canal unarmed - at least in Iraq I'd have an assault rifle. Give me a break.

I agree with TDF and I have said it many times before. This nation is so hopped up on displacing blame and needing to point the finger at someone else. Parents can't take responsibility for their own kids (A video game made my kid shoot up that school), people can't take responsibility for their own action (that company should have anticipated that I'd be drinking my coffee while driving).
Old 11-17-2009, 10:28 AM   #5
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Guns dont kill people, people kill people. TDF is right on.

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Old 11-17-2009, 11:02 AM   #6
belmont116

"Gun free Zone"

To quote a movie clip I saw recently (I think I got the link from one of the threads on this forum) "You can,nt fight in hear its the WAR Room! Those poor guys never stood a chance the military brass should be ashamed of themselves for caveing in to such a STUPID rule.(Orders are orders and you have to follow civilian authority but anyone think the Dems who forced this on our milatary will shed a tear) I am aware of many of the ridiculous rules of weapons loaded and otherwise on base I will not repeat them in a public forum but lets pray they are changed,like Fly Rod said quoting the wife of a soldier, I also would rather be armed in a war zone at least I might have a chance to defend myself and my brothers and sisters "IN ARMS".(NOT)
Old 11-17-2009, 12:39 PM   #7
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont116 View Post
like Fly Rod said quoting the wife of a soldier, I also would rather be armed in a war zone at least I might have a chance to defend myself and my brothers and sisters "IN ARMS".(NOT)
Yeah, I'd feel much safer patrolling the streets of Iraq or Afghanistan with an M16 than I would on a military base where only MPs carry loaded weapons..

This whole "at least they'd be able to defend themselves" comment is a load of bull.
Old 11-17-2009, 04:29 PM   #8
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

TDF - I think there is so much blame today because in all facets of life, no one is ever accountable anymore. So we have to blame someone. I truthfully dont think there is enough blame. there are plenty of people to take the credit when something goes right, but no one is accountable when something goes wrong.
Like it or not some is ACCOUNTABLE for protecting people on military bases, someone is accountable for assessing the mental stability of soldiers, etc. We wouldnt have to blame if someone took responsibility. I see it every day at work. No leadership, no balls.

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 11-17-2009, 05:12 PM   #9
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Oh I agree.......its always the Other Guy.

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 11-17-2009, 06:00 PM   #10
afterhours
Afterhours Custom Plugs

gun free zone- a military base- doh. kinda like making a library a book free zone...books don't kill people, people kill people.

www.afterhoursplugs.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Afterh...428173?created

Instagram - afterhourscustom

Official S-B.com Sponsor

GAMEFISH NOW

"A GAMEFISH (WHICH STRIPED BASS SHOULD BE) IS TOO VALUABLE TO BE CAUGHT ONLY ONCE"...LEE WULFF
Old 11-17-2009, 06:47 PM   #11
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by afterhours View Post
gun free zone- a military base- doh. kinda like making a library a book free zone...books don't kill people, people kill people.
With all those battles that consistently break out on our military bases.
Old 11-17-2009, 07:26 PM   #12
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't believe weapons on bases are where they are easily accessible anyways. Don't personel take them from the armory everyday when they are needed?

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Old 11-17-2009, 10:12 PM   #13
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmer View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't believe weapons on bases are where they are easily accessible anyways. Don't personel take them from the armory everyday when they are needed?
That's the point of contention. People are arguing that somehow, our troops are safer in Iraq than on a military base in the USA because troops can't carry their weapons around with them on the base - which is hands down one of the dumbest things I've heard all week.
Old 11-17-2009, 10:17 PM   #14
spence

This entire thread is one of the dumbest things I've heard all week.

-spence