Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 01-18-2007, 01:41 PM   #31
Woodbuster

I got mine online. Paid a little extra for shipping but it is wortht it.
Woodbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 02:00 PM   #32
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strike_King View Post
Rounds in Stoneham has it..O'Connor in Billerica as well...

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 02:19 PM   #33
Rockfish9

Only a few miles from my house... Thank you.

I may give it a test after I finish this last batch of BLO....
Rockfish9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 04:14 PM   #34
stripercrazy
Hernia Pikie Maker

sealed over nite, big difference

popular body...its alot darker

its no ones fault
stripercrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 11:22 PM   #35
Lower

Glad to hear it Ed. Wonder how long it will take it to dry??
Lower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 06:47 PM   #36
winchmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipknot View Post
poplar is crap
Boy do I agree with Slip on this. Before my trip last Fall to RI/Mass a friend gave me a bunch of poplar. Stuff turns very nice, since I was testing it out on the trip I did not seal. I wanted to see what would happen. Well the pearl danny swam like a champ.......... for about three swishes then it disapeared in the maws of a nice striper. (My fault should of retied)
The second plug (pencil popper) did battle with blues in Mass but it's fate was sealed when a blue thought my leader needed shortening.
The last, another danny did not get used on the trip. I happened to be in the shop a couple of days ago and the paint and finish had sepparated from the wood. I have a dozen pencils hanging that were sealed with a hardner, but I have real serious doubts in them lasting. So forget the poplar, no matter how free you get it. Why deal with a wood that is not able to do what you want.

Its only art if it don't catch fish!
winchmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 07:16 PM   #37
JHABS
Needlefish Nazi

Yes the Poopular thing comes up every year , Slips Favorite.....

Over the Last Several Years HAB'S NEEDLEFISH Have Caught More "Confirmed" 30, 40, 50, and even 60 pound Striped Bass than any other Wooden Needlefish on the Market today. 2 Over 50lbs. and 1 Over 60lbs. in 2005 alone........... "HOOK UP WITH HAB'S" Your Best Bet For BIG BASS.....
JHABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 10:35 PM   #38
Slipknot
Super Moderator

I have some poplar plugs, if ya seal them well enough, they should be ok. But it's not easy to seal a dry porous wood so that it does not absorb even a bit of moisture.

Cedar is so much better for making a plug and it should be available so I see no reason to use poplar, even pine is a better choice.

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

1984 was a warning, not a guidebook!

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 11:20 AM   #39
Slipknot
Super Moderator

ya, every year it comes up
pooplar is a cheap wood, yes it rots outdoors, better for indoors but if treated properly, it can be ok for plugs. I just like ayc because it sands easier with less tearout, has natural oils, good density.
Use whatever you want, red cedar,sugar pine,yellow pine, mahogany,maple,birch, spanish cedar, cocobola, PVC trim boards 800 year old cedar, reclaimed old growth cypress, use whatever you want, I have so many woods available to me I even thought of using some apple tree wood from the backyard.

winch your problem with those plugs is that you didn't seal them what the heck did you expect to happen?

stripercrazy, maybe leave it in the sealer longer, maybe run a pipe cleaner thru the thru wire hole just to be sure. and do all drilling beforehand, if you get any expansion around the belly grommet, that could cause problems and the expansion will have a hard time shrinking back down around the metal grommet being that it's size stays the same unlike the wood.

If you guy do a complete process from start to finish and have adhesion between paint coats, them maybe they won't split on you.

Ya I said poplar is crap, I was half joking and at that time didn't have time to explain further.

If you don't want your plugs to get wrecked, don't get them wet, it's that simple. If you want them to survive catching lots of fish then figure out a procedure that will work for you. There is a ton of info on this site and others, some good and some not so good. Figure out what works for you. Different woods will need more submersion time in sealers than others. Paints and primers and finish coats have to all be compatible or it will separate. Once you figure out what works, stick with it.

Lots of woods can be used for plug building, I have always had a hard time with birch or maple since it swells greatly even from humidity in the summer nevermind siting in water. It needs a good sealer to keep the water out. I don't know if Val oil is the answer, there are so many things to try. There are clear penetrating epoxies, wood hardners etc.

One thing I know, what works for somebody else may not be what works for you and what works for you may not work for somebody else.

sorry I said anything

I'll take the advice in Goose's signature

good luck Lower

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

1984 was a warning, not a guidebook!

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 12:29 PM   #40
adson

another reason not to use poplar...if you seal it with BLO the wood will soak up the oils and expand a bit..even if you dont get the plug wet be careful where you store it..
I have some poplar plugs that I made a couple of years ago that are stored in my cellar.. because of the dry winter air, the epoxy has formed bubbles under it as the wood dried out and the plug has shrunk...

Last edited by adson; 01-21-2007 at 03:17 PM..
adson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 02:54 PM   #41
winchmaster

winch your problem with those plugs is that you didn't seal them what the heck did you expect to happen?

I expected the paint to fail. Wanted to see it for myself to get a better understanding. Plus I figgered nobody would ho any of them at the plug Bash. Testing your design, material and it's limitations is what gives you a better idea of building lures. Could of I just taken the easy way and believed what I saw written? No yo know me better than that.
Failure and understanding why helps.

Its only art if it don't catch fish!
winchmaster is offline   Reply With Quote