Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » DIY - Forum

DIY - Forum Do It Yourself for Non-Fishing Items

Old 11-01-2020, 12:18 PM   #61
trevier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipknot View Post
A Chopmaster blade has a negative rake on it so it tends to not even chip out the backside of veneer plywood. 80 teeth is decent but it depends on what grind the teeth are set, maybe a triple chip blade would be better for you or make slower cuts or invest in a Forrest, you won’t regret it.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
I do have a forrest blade. Not sure what model it is though. It's definitely a 80th one though.
trevier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 06:11 AM   #62
Rmarsh

Back at the kitchen and stair installs, after doing some rotted floor replacement at the mill that needed emergency repair, as in somebody or something is going to go through.
The newel posts extend down through the subfloor and are anchored into the floor framing from below.... rock solid.

Last edited by Rmarsh; 08-26-2023 at 05:55 AM..
Rmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 06:49 AM   #63
Rmarsh

Mitered nosing at newel post came out pretty good......cutting the nosing to fit around the newel posts is not easy...got to take your time.
The 35 pvc lampposts that I built in my shop during covid are all used up....most every house here sold preconstruction...the others sold as soon as they were finished.

Old 11-07-2020, 06:35 AM   #64
Rmarsh

Got a request to build a pair of "farmhouse style" driveway gates.
Located some heavy duty hinges that should do the job.
Important to remember to make a left and and right hand version....and not two of the same.

Old 11-08-2020, 07:12 AM   #65
Rmarsh

made some progress on these yesterday....going to hang them on pvc trimmed pt 6x6 posts

Old 11-08-2020, 09:10 AM   #66
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Nice, Bob. Lap jointed 1x on main frame?

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 06:57 AM   #67
Rmarsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfighter View Post
Nice, Bob. Lap jointed 1x on main frame?

Yep.... two layers of 1X6 pvc ...with tight fitting lap joints....laminations all pvc glued. Was concerned about too much flex in the pvc trim...but when all glued up together and doubled...its fine.
Old 12-05-2020, 01:35 PM   #68
Rmarsh

more stairs and kitchens

Old 12-05-2020, 03:05 PM   #69
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmarsh View Post
more stairs and kitchens
I'd love to live in a house with stairs built post building codes, nice detail on those. I don't quite get the single cabinets on either side of the vent hood though, that seems like a quirky design.
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 03:28 PM   #70
Rmarsh

Appreciate your comments...I agree...I just install"em
very basic kitchens on these houses.
Old 12-05-2020, 06:40 PM   #71
redlite

Where is this development? Still up in forest park?
Different that someone went with dark kitchen cabinets as trend seems to be leaning towards white cabinets. Last few kitchens we done been white. Wife is makin me paint our 20k in cherry SChrock cabinets white. Criminal.
Where is micro? Drawer micro? We just did one in the custom kitchen we just finished with similar good Big fan of the micro drawer.
redlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 07:17 PM   #72
Rmarsh

Forest park is mostly done...only about.4 house lots are left ...we've spent most of the last year or two building smaller houses ...at Highland Farms in the north end of Fall River....around 40 houses...its all sold out.
Old 12-05-2020, 11:05 PM   #73
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Nice clean work Bob, looks good to me.

redlite, paint cherry? AHHHHH

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

1984 was a warning, not a guidebook!

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 02:23 PM   #74
Rmarsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlite View Post
Where is this development? Still up in forest park?
Different that someone went with dark kitchen cabinets as trend seems to be leaning towards white cabinets. Last few kitchens we done been white. Wife is makin me paint our 20k in cherry SChrock cabinets white. Criminal.
Where is micro? Drawer micro? We just did one in the custom kitchen we just finished with similar good Big fan of the micro drawer.
The trend for sure has been towards painted cabinets ....mostly linen white but also some greys and blues.
Still have some customers that like that dark stain...I dont....shows every speck of dust....and the tiniest of scratches!
My wife also ....wants the kitchen cabinets that i custom built 30 years ago...ash with a light stain ..painted now. Have you gotten any quotes or would you diy.???
Micro drawer is in the island cabinets on some of these kitchens... like you mentioned....most don't want the old combination hood fan microwave over the stove anymore....and put the stainless chimney hood instead.
Another option is a wall cabinet with an open shelf they make for the mw.
You can see it in the last picture next to the fridge.
Got another stairway to finish starting tomorrow....

Last edited by Rmarsh; 12-06-2020 at 03:40 PM..
Old 12-07-2020, 05:52 PM   #75
Rmarsh

Rough framing....its got a few errors but correctable...ill set the upstairs newel posts and nosings first so they can do hardwood flooring up there.

Old 12-07-2020, 08:39 PM   #76
bloocrab
Callinectes sapidus

Is it my imagination, or are the walls painted already??

......it finally happened, there are no more secret spots
bloocrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 05:15 AM   #77
Rmarsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloocrab View Post
Is it my imagination, or are the walls painted already??
Our painter goes in after the skim coat plaster is done and primes everything. Then paints all the ceilings white and gets just the first coat of wall paint on before we start the interior trim. Makes his job much easier when he comes back to do finish coat of paint.
Old 12-09-2020, 05:21 AM   #78
Rmarsh

Painted bath cabinets....its hard to see but there is a little gold colored paint in the crevices. Newel posts are set....i cut open the subfloor so the post can extend down and be fastened into the floor framing.

Old 12-09-2020, 05:25 AM   #79
Rmarsh

Skirtboards are in.....some risers and treads next.

Old 12-11-2020, 05:54 AM   #80
Rmarsh

To fit treads to the skirtboard....which is seldom going to be a perfect 90 degree cut...i cut them about half an inch longer...then scribe them. This gets the length and cut at once.

Old 12-11-2020, 06:00 AM   #81
Rmarsh

No one else working here...I've done most of the finish work on this one by myself....rest of the crew are rushing to finish a house across town before Christmas.

Old 12-11-2020, 11:00 AM   #82
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Cool It's always best to have the place to yourself when doing stairs that is for sure. Looking good
Merry Christmas

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

1984 was a warning, not a guidebook!

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 11:25 AM   #83
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Who makes that compass/scribing tool? I have always had a love/hate relationship with my cheap compass...

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
Old 12-11-2020, 12:45 PM   #84
Rmarsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfighter View Post
Who makes that compass/scribing tool? I have always had a love/hate relationship with my cheap compass...
Ross...had this pair for over forty years....General Tools I think....hard to find in stores now...
Starrett Tools makes a nice one but kind of expensive.
A quick search on line i saw Stanley # 41-017 compass divider same as what I use

Last edited by Rmarsh; 12-11-2020 at 01:01 PM..
Old 12-11-2020, 01:38 PM   #85
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Quote:
The trend for sure has been towards painted cabinets ....mostly linen white but also some greys and blues.
Still have some customers that like that dark stain...I dont....shows every speck of dust....and the tiniest of scratches!
My wife also ....wants the kitchen cabinets that i custom built 30 years ago...ash with a light stain ..painted now. Have you gotten any quotes or would you diy.???
Micro drawer is in the island cabinets on some of these kitchens... like you mentioned....most don't want the old combination hood fan microwave over the stove anymore....and put the stainless chimney hood instead.
Another option is a wall cabinet with an open shelf they make for the mw.
You can see it in the last picture next to the fridge.
Got another stairway to finish starting tomorrow....
I love your comments. All our kitchen cabinets are custom made....40 years ago. The guy who built them died 25 years ago and they are a work of art. The amazing thing is 15 years ago (and they were stained) my wife had me paint them linen white. Horrendous job as there are 23 doors. Took each one off prepped with Kills' oil based paint and then I forget how many coats of paint but they still look beautiful.
I also found your comment that micro over the stove are out. We never did it as we have 2 cabinets over the hood over the stove.
Question: What is a micro draw?

No boat, back in the suds.
piemma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 03:57 PM   #86
Rmarsh

Its a microwave oven that opens like a drawer....goes in a base cabinet....lot of times in the island base ...food is top loaded.
Old 12-11-2020, 04:16 PM   #87
Rmarsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipknot View Post
Cool It's always best to have the place to yourself when doing stairs that is for sure. Looking good
Merry Christmas
Thanks! ...worked on it all day without any interuptions...great but doesn't happen a lot. I make less errors when there are no distractions
Merry Christmas
Old 12-11-2020, 04:49 PM   #88
Rmarsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by piemma View Post
I love your comments. All our kitchen cabinets are custom made....40 years ago. The guy who built them died 25 years ago and they are a work of art. The amazing thing is 15 years ago (and they were stained) my wife had me paint them linen white. Horrendous job as there are 23 doors. Took each one off prepped with Kills' oil based paint and then I forget how many coats of paint but they still look beautiful.
I also found your comment that micro over the stove are out. We never did it as we have 2 cabinets over the hood over the stove.
Question: What is a micro draw?
I dread painting our kitchen cabinets....huge job I would guess...I would almost rather redo with factory cabinets ...would be faster for sure
Old 12-11-2020, 05:46 PM   #89
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Quote:
Ross...had this pair for over forty years....General Tools I think....hard to find in stores now...
Starrett Tools makes a nice one but kind of expensive.
A quick search on line i saw Stanley # 41-017 compass divider same as what I use
Thank you, sir.

Old 12-11-2020, 05:50 PM   #90
spence

I don’t know why you’re so anal with the cuts, can’t you caulk up to like a quarter inch?

Any time you want to rehab my 160 year old staircase just let me know.
spence is offline   Reply With Quote