Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 12-19-2009, 07:53 PM   #1
WoodyCT

Moisture Cured Polyurethane as Topcoat

Anyone try it?

It's supposedly the toughest urethane for high traffic wood floors.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GARCO URETHANE.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	24.2 KB
ID:	37230  
WoodyCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 08:21 PM   #2
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

no, but let us know if you do as it would make my life easier, simpler

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 08:25 PM   #3
GattaFish
Great White Scup Hunter

No but I have tried others and no matter what you use it wont hold up to hook rash,,,,,,

Usually on my proto types I rattle can, dry. dip in moisture cure poly and use,,,, try it out and let us know,,, is it big money per gallon ??,,,
GattaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 08:30 PM   #4
pbadad

Woody I used some 2 part automotive clear coat for a small paint repair on a customeers vehicle. It comes in a spray can. Push the button on the bottom to inject the hardener , shake and spray. I had some left over and sprayed up a few plugs. It's a gloss finish and hard. Dries to touch in minutes. Couple coats and it's done. A few drawbacks, smells to high heaven, expensive $22.00 per can, and only a 24 hr pot life once injected. It does beat epoxy finish for quickness. The clear coat is available in bulk but like I said you need a external motor driven spray booth ventilator. I will show you at the meeting an Atom 40 I clear coated with rod builders epoxy. I had some left after installing a reel seat. It's hard as nail and smoooooth.

Billy D.
pbadad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 12:14 AM   #5
WoodyCT

Might give it a shot

I hate dealing with epoxy and its issues.

Last winter I resealed a Hab's Jr. that had begun to split with Helmsman urethane. I dunked it and let it drip off. 2 Coats. Then let it cure until fishing season. That stuff is hard as hell, but a bit on the amber side.

Hook rash will always be an issue, but keeping the rocks and teeth at bay might just be easier with a 1 part coating that is easy to use.

Amazon has this Garco for $31 per quart. Not bad.
Old 12-20-2009, 09:36 AM   #6
Tagger
Hydro Orientated Lures

only thing good about 2 part epoxy is shelf life ,,seems to last forever.. One thing I've learned ,,anything 1 part , watch out for that air in the top of the can .. I paid $85 for some goop the whole can kicked ..
Tagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 09:51 AM   #7
Backbeach Jake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tagger View Post
only thing good about 2 part epoxy is shelf life ,,seems to last forever.. One thing I've learned ,,anything 1 part , watch out for that air in the top of the can .. I paid $85 for some goop the whole can kicked ..
I have a few cans and jars of goop laying around, too. I did try waterbased poly-U once with decent results. Don't know why I didn't go back for further review. I suspect it's not the same as water activated tho.

He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself.
Thomas Paine
Backbeach Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 10:52 AM   #8
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

run it by Steve, Capesams , he is very knowledgeable when it comes to 1 part stuff. We have had many conversations about them.

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
Old 12-20-2009, 12:27 PM   #9
go4broke44

I use water based poly exclusively. Tired of dealing with epoxy issues.

I looked around for a while to find something quick drying that doesn't yellow, etc. Been using the same brand now for a while, although there is more than one on the market that supposedly does the trick, I hear a lot of the muskie bait guys use water based poly as well. 2-3 coats and you're good to go, and you can get it to dry pretty quickly using heat lamps or air circulation.

I've had people fishing the same pencils down the canal all season topcoated with the stuff, and other than your normal bumps and nicks that any plug would suffer, I'd say they held up pretty good.
go4broke44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 01:38 PM   #10
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

There is nothing I would like more than to have a quick drying easy to use top coat that doesn't require hours of spinning, observing, and several Our Fathers and Hail Marys. I'd rather save the later for important stuff.

Old 12-20-2009, 05:26 PM   #11
go4broke44

Paul thats exactly why I switched. Was tired of only being able to get X number of plugs done before having to mix a new batch, spinning/flipping, dry temp, making sure the mix was exact.

Now I have a 1L plastic bottle with the top cut off full of the poly, just dip, drip, and hang. ready for next coat sometimes in as little as 2 hrs.
go4broke44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 06:12 PM   #12
GattaFish
Great White Scup Hunter

The two part in the single can is called spray max,,,, not very cost effective,,,,
GattaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 08:49 PM   #13
Jigman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tagger View Post
only thing good about 2 part epoxy is shelf life ,,seems to last forever...
A number of two part epoxies do have a shelf life.

Jigman
Jigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 10:48 PM   #14
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorM View Post
There is nothing I would like more than to have a quick drying easy to use top coat that doesn't require hours of spinning, observing, and several Our Fathers and Hail Marys. I'd rather save the later for important stuff.
LOL P. We will be looking for that till the end of time.

" Choose Life "
justplugit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 10:56 PM   #15
WoodyCT

Goop preventer

They sell cans of argon gas that you can spray into a can before resealing it. Argon's outermost electron level is full, thus it won't gain/lose any electrons and react with any other matter in the universe. IE- it's nonreactive, nonflammable and safe.

Two parts epoxies- I believe you can heat them in a wate bath if they crystalize to return them to liquid form. At least WEST can, and that's some good chit.
Old 12-21-2009, 11:38 PM   #16
WoodyCT

Another option

and less toxic.

General Finishes offers a number of water based products that you can add their 'Cross Linker' to to increase the toughness of their Enduro coatings by 20-30%.

Two component polyurethanes for heavy duty floor coating are out there too.

But it's bed time.