Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 08-31-2012, 05:41 AM   #1
scottw

NATIONWIDE SCAM

heads up Obamanation

paying my electric bill on line last night I noticed this on the NG website

Nationwide scam alert

National Grid has issued a nationwide warning about a new scam claiming that President Obama will pay your utility bills through a new federal program. where would anyone ever get an idea like this?

This is an identity theft scam and it is being reported nationwide. It involves different types of utility bills including electric, water, telephone and natural gas. National Grid urges you to NEVER give out your social security number or bank account number to anyone who contacts you, regarless of whom they say they are. If you have questions, please contact National Grid. How the scam works.

◦The scam starts with the claim that President Obama will pay customers’ utility bills through a new federal program.shocking that anyone would believe this
◦The information received by National Grid indicates that the scam’s perpetrators attempt to make contact through a variety of means: door-to-door solicitations, telephone calls, mailed or hand-delivered fliers, and through social media sites such as Facebook.
◦Customers are allegedly asked to provide personal information, including Social Security or bank account numbers, to participate in the bogus bill-payment program. In return, consumers are given a fake bank routing number that they erroneously believe will pay their utility bills.
◦There is no new federal program to pay utility bills but there absolutely should be or might be if Obama gets desperate enough between now and Novemberthat will request Social Security or bank account information. The scammers allegedly use the customers' personal information to steal their identity or empty their bank accounts.
◦National Grid urges anyone who may be contacted about such a fraudulent program to immediately break off contact and call the police and get psychiactric help or call the Whitehouse and complain that they should be paying your utilities.
Tips to avoid becoming a victim of this scam don't expect a politician or government to give you free stuff
◦Never provide your social security number, credit card number or banking information to anyone requesting to anyone who calls you, regardless of whom they claim to be representing.
◦If you receive a call claiming to be National Grid and feel pressured for immediate payment or personal information, hang up the phone and contact National Grid.
◦Never allow anyone into your home to check electrical wiring, natural gas pipes or appliances unless you have scheduled an appointment or have reported a utility problem. Also, ask utility employees for proper identification.
◦Always think safety first. Do not give in to high pressure tactics over the phone for information or in person to get into your home.

Last edited by scottw; 08-31-2012 at 06:02 AM..
Old 08-31-2012, 09:29 AM   #2
JohnnyD

Wait... this isn't a scam. He got into office because because "I won't have to worry about putin' gas in my car. I won't have to worry about paying my mortgage." (how right she was)
Old 08-31-2012, 11:48 AM   #3
FishermanTim

I wonder what overpass she's squatting under today?
Old 08-31-2012, 11:52 AM   #4
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

And a lot of people voted for McCain that thought he'd stop that sinful gay marriage and other social issues...

Ignorance knows no one political party....

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 08-31-2012, 11:52 AM   #5
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

JohnnyD, what happened to you?

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 08-31-2012, 01:46 PM   #6
buckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND View Post
And a lot of people voted for McCain that thought he'd stop that sinful gay marriage and other social issues...
Ummmm, I don't think so
Old 09-05-2012, 09:50 AM   #7
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post
JohnnyD, what happened to you?
Honestly? I'm working on building a new business and I can't be bothered with the political circle jerk any more. I would wager quite a bit of money that not a single person's opinion on any political topic has every been shifted due to posts in this forum. Stirring the pot is more entertaining than arguing over which candidate will screw the country, and my life, over less than the other one.

Our two-party system is broken and is merely a disguised single-party 'option'. For the typical citizen, federal politics is the equivalent of being sentenced to death but being given the options of death by firing squad or electric chair - in the end, you're still dead.

Political candidate 'discussions' are like arguing over which hooker in Chinatown has the least chance of giving you herpes.
Old 09-05-2012, 10:26 AM   #8
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post
Honestly? I'm working on building a new business and I can't be bothered with the political circle jerk any more. I would wager quite a bit of money that not a single person's opinion on any political topic has every been shifted due to posts in this forum. Stirring the pot is more entertaining than arguing over which candidate will screw the country, and my life, over less than the other one.

Our two-party system is broken and is merely a disguised single-party 'option'. For the typical citizen, federal politics is the equivalent of being sentenced to death but being given the options of death by firing squad or electric chair - in the end, you're still dead.

Political candidate 'discussions' are like arguing over which hooker in Chinatown has the least chance of giving you herpes.
uhhh, I meant you seemed to have fully embraced the dark side and joined us.

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 09-05-2012, 11:32 AM   #9
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post
uhhh, I meant you seemed to have fully embraced the dark side and joined us.
Haha... well, I wouldn't say fully embraced. As you can see from my last post, I'm disgusted by both sides of the aisle. Mitt is marginally "less-awful" than Obama.
- While not in charge of the planning, he was at the helm during all of the construction disasters with Big Dig.
- He was at the helm when health care in Mass was socialized.
- He was at the helm while many of the sweetheart deals were created for automotive and other insurance companies.
- Business taxes went up quite a bit under our alleged corporate friend
- He continued the expired Federal Assault Weapons ban. An impotent law that was did nothing to curb crime on the federal level and continues to provide no benefit to Massachusetts citizens

However, the list of negatives for Obama is about 10 times as long.